Rubber Band Fi
May 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those are nice.

I know that the Staples are considered mid-fi, but I feel that the elasticity pretty high - perhaps 90% of what I'd could achieve with my current desk drawer full of office supplies. Would I get the additional 10% with the Schermerhorns?

Diminishing returns kick in pretty quickly with rubber bands, but you have to consider build quality as well as elasticity.

I think you'll be able to get that last 10% with the Schermerhorns but only you can decide if the extra money is worth it. But the build quality is really where you'll save in the long run. After a few years the store brands start to crack and disintegrate. Higher quality bands will give you more longevity, which should pay for itself in the long run.

Quote:

I just blew a bunch of money on Acco binder clips, so I'm not sure that I can justify these. I splurged and went for the ACC72010 and the grip is really powerful. They blow the Costco Office Impressions clips away. Nice build quality as well. I'm working on a mod to get them to hold 50 sheets of paper (they are rated for 45 sheets). I'll post pictures when I'm done.

ACCO%202%20Binder%20Clip.jpg

Those binder clips are nice -really nice actually, the best money can buy - but you have to decide how much flexibility you need. You can't overlook that. Like most things *-Fi a lot of it comes down to personal prefence once you get past a certain level.

And just so you know I'm not blowing smoke, I was a paper boy at 11 and have been using rubber bands ever since. I know what a good rubber band feels like.

May 7, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope the Schermerhorns are worth the wait.

I'm confident you won't be disappointed. It will be worth the six months of sleeping on the couch, I promise you.

May 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those binder clips are nice -really nice actually, the best money can buy - but you have to decide how much flexibility you need. You can't overlook that. Like most things *-Fi a lot of it comes down to personal prefence once you get past a certain level.

Yeah, I think I've pretty much maxed out in terms of binder clip quality. I'm keeping an eye out for a nice case for these. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

May 7, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confident you won't be disappointed. It will be worth the six months of sleeping on the couch, I promise you.

I picked up some really nice assortment of push pins for my S.O., so that should soften the blow if she's upset about the additional $ spent on rubber bands.

pushpins.jpg

May 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #20 of 41
Okay been lurking for a couple of weeks @ Head-Fi but when I saw the rubber band-fi thread I had to register...

The best rubber bands are bicycle tire tubes cut to width yourself. They are strong, and can be cut to to whatever width you desire and they look Macho. Cut a bunch and then wash them with soap and water because they generally coat the inside of them with some kind of talcum powder type stuff.
Once they are washed and dried they are great. You will never buy another store bought rubber band.

May 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay been lurking for a couple of weeks @ Head-Fi but when I saw the rubber band-fi thread I had to register...

The best rubber bands are bicycle tire tubes cut to width yourself. They are strong, and can be cut to to whatever width you desire and they look Macho. Cut a bunch and then wash them with soap and water because they generally coat the inside of them with some kind of talcum powder type stuff.
Once they are washed and dried they are great. You will never buy another store bought rubber band.

good suggestion, i have some punchtured tubes, might have to try this

May 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 41
best ?-fi tread!

i made a rubber bsnd ball once, only got it size of a fist,

plus in school, folding up a piece of paper real tight, seeing how many sheets of paper it would go through, then, use it on someone, good times!!

plus, they a bit kinky lol

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 41
Sorry to kick an old thread but I thought I would share my latest rubber band purchase.

I picked up a 5 lb bag of #10 reds. I had been using the wider #105 bands, but the #10 are much more versatile. You can adjust them by the number of winds you give it.

4458785756_bca3c3a9a9.jpg

Here I'm using a triple wind. My portable rig has never sounded better.

Yeah, the big beefy #105s sound good, lots of bottom end and a really stable background but they just don't give you the finesse and details of the #10s.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #25 of 41
If you want a more "organic" sound,

SANY0018.JPG

try the produce section
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this should last you a very long time
jecklinsmile.gif

LOT 40 x 1/4 lb RUBBER BANDS #94 3.5" x 3/4" 4 oz BAGS

Also got my red bands from the produce section... took a handful from an open box
atsmile.gif

Them's some damn fine rubba bands
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back