RSS Feed
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2010 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pagail118

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I don't know if I'm the only one that used it, but I liked to have a Feed from some part of the forum. It allows a quick overview of a forum activity. Will it be back, or is it hidden somewhere ?

Thank you !

May 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 20
me too!

May 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 20
We don't have sub-divided RSS feeds anymore but we do have one for all of Head-Fi: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/huddler-head-fi?format=xml

Great to know you used those feeds.

Specifically, did you subscribe to a feed from a particular sub-forum?

May 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 20
Another vote for the for sale trade RSS feed that was cool.

May 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Yet another vote for individual forum RSS feeds. I too had one for all of Head-fi and one for the trading forums.

May 7, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 20
Yup pretty much the same, I had a feed on the Trade sub forum and one in general.

May 7, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 20
I don't need individual forum feeds, but the new feed is a serious regression over the previous one. The post contents are not there any more, not even excerpts, just titles. This makes it nearly useless. I use a filtering RSS reader to keep up with the firehose (e.g. filter out any post that mentions Bose), and this is no longer possible.
The fact each individual reply to a post gets its own RSS entry, or each edit to a post, might work on a lower-traffic site, but there's no way polling the feed hourly can keep up on a ultra-high-volume site like Head-Fi since the 50 article limit will roll over long before an hour has elapsed.

May 7, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 20
I agree completely with everything majid said. The new RSS feed gives me ~1000 updates per day that displays every single post that day on Head-Fi. I'd much rather have ~100 or so per day of each new thread that's made like before. The fact that the actual contents are not on the feed is also aggravating.

I also agree that sub-forum feeds are useful, even though I don't use them as I like to read everything here.

May 9, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 20
I used to read the full-size headphone, amplifier, and headroom sponsor forum feeds daily. I scanned the headings for what I wanted and read the content right there in the feed. And I got it in manageable amounts.

Now I get hundreds of sketchy headlines covering things I don't care about. I don't have the time to wade through it all and chase it down on the site.

Please go back to forum specific feeds so I can participate in this community again.

May 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Please go back to forum specific feeds so I can participate in this community again.

That or make the emailed thread updates work at least, it's too hard to keep track of where I left off now!

May 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
I used to read the full-size headphone, amplifier, and headroom sponsor forum feeds daily. I scanned the headings for what I wanted and read the content right there in the feed. And I got it in manageable amounts.

Now I get hundreds of sketchy headlines covering things I don't care about. I don't have the time to wade through it all and chase it down on the site.

These are my exact sentiments too..... Either this, or fix the javascript issues so I can go back to using my iPhone to browse the forum...

May 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 20
I'd like to throw a giant "me too" on the fire. The current feed is useless without excerpts, and I was about ready to unsubscribe to the previous version as well because of the massive volume. Forum specific feeds would fix my complaints, as long as they provide excerpts. RSS is hit or miss on most discussion forums, but I've had no problems with DIY audio and Audio Circle. I will have to quit reading head fi if this continues. I never have time to surf forums via the web. I get all the rest of my info via feeds, and it will be a shame to drop out because of an "upgrade".

May 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 20
Another issue: why would I care to read an entry every time a post is edited? Can someone please turn that off? There were over one thousand rss entries in a 24 hour period because every time a keyword is added or a person edits their profile it shows up on the feed. How about a feed with new posts only? That would be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back