RSA Tomahawk with RSA P-51 Mustang (pre & power amp combo)
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lo, and did sanity begin to insinuate itself into the thread.

I've been reading this thread, waiting for you to clear us all up on the issues here. My wait is finally over.

Joe

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vjcs20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I just received my P-51 Mustang yesterday from RSA. Was using a Tomahawk previously. Firstly, I have to say that Ray has outdone himself with a newer smaller amp but yet at the same time, upping the sound quality a notch.
L3000.gif

So I was trying out the Mustang and I really like how it sounded out of the box. If it sounds this good before burning in, I can't imagine how it would sound after 100hrs of burning in.
icon10.gif

Anyways, a sudden inspiration came to me. I recalled reading previously how some Xin users were using two Xin Super Macro 3V6s in their portable setup as a pre and power amp combo, and how amazing the dual combination sounded. So I though to myself, why not try something like that with my two RSA amps?

So I plugged in my iPod classic 160gb to my Turbo LOD to the Tomahawk (as pre-amp) to the Mustang (as power amp) to my Triple-fis.

[size=xx-large]WOW!![/size]

Instant music nirvana. The music sounded so real and life-like and present in front of you. I'm not very good with words so please pardon my lack of a better description. But, the sound is really that good! There was so much more details and nuances present in the music & voices that I was taken aback. Listened to rock and jazz, instrumentals and vocals and all sounded so much better than with just the Tomahawk or Mustang alone.

If there's anybody out there with both amps, do try it and see how you find the sound.

Lastly, do note that for the Tomahawk (as pre-amp), I turned the volume knob all the way to max while keeping the gain at LOW. For the Mustang (as power amp), I turned the volume knob to about 10 o-clock.

Hope this helps!
beyersmile.png

i love testing out diff setups like that!

im doing something similar with my audio technica ah25d and my 800c ir reciever and eq with my onkyo 8511 however my sound sucks, but it sounds better than with the audio technica alone, plus ive got dolby headphone with my 800c, (the AT lacks the bass i need)
question seems u obviously prefer the p51 mustang to the tomahawk but what about the hornet,, how does the bass stack up against the hornet, i amtrying to get either the hornet or the mustang or the predator,,, which ever one has the best lowest bass wins,,, i took note that the predator has a usb input
smily_headphones1.gif
also im runnin them into my denon 7k's, and the highs are rediculous so im more concerned with getting the lowest bass
-------------IF ANYONE has any sugggestions on mini equalizers that work well with these head amps i would be seriously appreciative,,,
thankyou cleveland!

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 19
When Ray trying the best to simplify the signal path, and you complicated it. I believe there are somewhere would be enhanced, but with so many level amplifying circuits and interconnection involved, I don't think it is a good idea for the best sound quality. This combo may only coloring the tone, with higher power drive. Simply is the best is the philosophy in audiophile after so many years experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back