RSA Tomahawk or Hornet for E500
Sep 25, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #16 of 31
Look elsewhere. Stunning little amps, but didn't deliver the sound most rave about to my ears... I wanted my Hornet to sound amazing because I wanted to keep it - but I couldn't justify doing that when there was no sound benefit.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 31
With the AE-2 and forthcoming Pico DAC/Amp HeadAmp has some offerings you might look into.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look elsewhere. Stunning little amps, but didn't deliver the sound most rave about to my ears... I wanted my Hornet to sound amazing because I wanted to keep it - but I couldn't justify doing that when there was no sound benefit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the AE-2 and forthcoming Pico DAC/Amp HeadAmp has some offerings you might look into.

Dr. Xin's SuperMicro might be a contender in SQ as well as size. Other than that the Tomahawk has no competition when it comes down to portable amp for IEM's. You need to hold the Supermicro or the Tomahawk in your hands to appreciate them.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr. Xin's SuperMicro might be a contender in SQ as well as size. Other than that the Tomahawk has no competition when it comes down to portable amp for IEM's. You need to hold the Supermicro or the Tomahawk in your hands to appreciate them.

You do realize the Pico will be no bigger than a Tomahawk don't you? Plus you can get it with a high quality, upsampling USB DAC, not to mention the AE-2 has build quality that is second to none, it's simply stunning and the Pico will have that same quality/feel.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

You do realize the Pico will be no bigger than a Tomahawk don't you? Plus you can get it with a high quality, upsampling USB DAC, not to mention the AE-2 has build quality that is second to none, it's simply stunning and the Pico will have that same quality/feel.

Has anyone done a shootout with the Pico ? Would the Pico stand the 400 duration on a set of AAA ?

I would love to see some more info. I'm all ears.
wink.gif

I wonder who wants a $200 DAC on a super portable ?

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Has anyone done a shootout with the Pico ? Would the Pico stand the 400 duration on a set of AAA ?

400 hours? Please tell me where do you go that you do not have access to electricity for for over 2 weeks. And how do you keep your DAP charged at that time?
Quote:

wink.gif

Apparently a lot of people. Why does the size matter? Pico sounds amazing and its size has nothing to do with it. I bet if Justin would put Pico into the case he uses for GS-1 and put a $1000+ price tag on it, people would buy it in a heartbeat.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
400 hours? Please tell me where do you go that you do not have access to electricity for for over 2 weeks. And how do you keep your DAP charged at that time?

Why do I care about DAP ? My iPhone and iPods has its own AA recharge kit. I can stay months in the woods and enjoy my music on AA batteries.

I think we got out of the points on this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently a lot of people. Why does the size matter? Pico sounds amazing and its size has nothing to do with it. I bet if Justin would put Pico into the case he uses for GS-1 and put a $1000+ price tag on it, people would buy it in a heartbeat.

I appreciate innovation, but we'd rather be more realistic. If Justine does not do that then he's missing out the whole game. Doesn't he ?

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Has anyone done a shootout with the Pico ?

I assume not as yet as the Pico hasn't been released.

Quote:

Would the Pico stand the 400 duration on a set of AAA ?

Considering the Pico uses a Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery it might be pretty hard for it to do anything with a AAA battery. But seriously, to try to answer your question I talked with Justin about battery life when I first heard about the Pico. I'm not very adept at the technical aspects but from my understanding battery life with the Li-Ion battery will be around 20 hours. This is due in part at least to the choice of opamp and the design goals of providing enough current and voltage to drive most headphones effectively. If you need further clarification I'd suggest contacting Justin.

Quote:

wink.gif

Here you go!

Quote:

You're kidding right? It's not about how much the DAC costs so much as it's about the expected quality. I think many Head-Fier's have been chomping at the bit in anticipation of a truly portable amp/DAC combo that may actually come close to or plays in the same league as the big boys like the Lavry, Benchmark and Apogee. The Pico will be around 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of those, in all likelihood have a better amplifier than the ones included in those and the USB DAC may even best them, all in a package the size of a Tomahawk which means you can take it pretty much anywhere hooked up to a laptop or tote it easily back and forth to work. Heck, in my case I'm on a limited budget so it's going to be my main source and amp!
Quote:

Why do I care about DAP ? My iPhone and iPods has its own AA recharge kit. I can stay months in the woods and enjoy my music on AA batteries.

I think we got out of the points on this thread.

I appreciate innovation, but we'd rather be more realistic. If Justine does not do that then he's missing out the whole game. Doesn't he ?

Ummm, I'm a little confused on the whole with this post particularly what do you mean by "we'd rather be more realistic"?

If you're not interested in an a high quality DAC/Amp combo that's your prerogative but I personally think Justin is hitting the mark square on with the Pico and considering in less than one day he's had almost 40 pre-orders most with DAC option I'd think the market agrees as well.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

I assume not as yet as the Pico hasn't been released.

Considering the Pico uses a Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery it might be pretty hard for it to do anything with a AAA battery. But seriously, to try to answer your question I talked with Justin about battery life when I first heard about the Pico. I'm not very adept at the technical aspects but from my understanding battery life with the Li-Ion battery will be around 20 hours. This is due in part at least to the choice of opamp and the design goals of providing enough current and voltage to drive most headphones effectively. If you need further clarification I'd suggest contacting Justin.

Here you go!

You're kidding right? It's not about how much the DAC costs so much as it's about the expected quality. I think many Head-Fier's have been chomping at the bit in anticipation of a truly portable amp/DAC combo that may actually come close to or plays in the same league as the big boys like the Lavry, Benchmark and Apogee. The Pico will be around 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of those, in all likelihood have a better amplifier than the ones included in those and the USB DAC may even best them, all in a package the size of a Tomahawk which means you can take it pretty much anywhere hooked up to a laptop or tote it easily back and forth to work. Heck, in my case I'm

on a limited budget so it's going to be my main source and amp!

Ummm, I'm a little confused on the whole with this post particularly what do you mean by "we'd rather be more realistic"?

If you're not interested in an a high quality DAC/Amp combo that's your prerogative but I personally think Justin is hitting the mark square on with the Pico and considering in less than one day he's had almost 40 pre-orders most with DAC option I'd think the market agrees as well.

OK. You've got the point.
wink.gif

I hope that Justine will do some discount on the first batch, and I might snatch one to check out his new innovation. However, I don't think I'd use the Pico as a desktop amp.

I think we can return to the OP. I'd love to sell you my Tomahawk if I have a second unit.... until the release of the Pico
tongue.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 31
More than happy with my Tomahawk driving my E500's.......

Does quite a good job on the Grado SR60 too.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #26 of 31
Amen breseler, mine drives my SR-60's and PX-100's quite nicely:)

How about calling Ray and asking when he thinks he might release his AMP/DAC combo unit!

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #27 of 31
I was in EXACTLY the same dilemna you are. I bought a Hornat and ordered a Xin amp (supermicro).

Here was the decision point.

- It's immediately avaialble
- It fits into my gigabag (it's really pretty darned small)
- Of the reviews i've read, it appeared to consistently be liked better than anything that fit the first two points.
- RSA has Extraordinary customer service. (ray has responded to my inqueries within hours prior to the sale, and has a great reputation)
- It's readily re-saleable (transferable warranty)
- It can drive full size cans (Ray tells me it was designed to drive the HD600's, and also that UE and others use his amps to voice their headphones)

I traded off the tomahawk's small size and battery life also based on reviews that claim better sound quality (without auditioning them both, what else do we have to go on).

The Pico sounds great in concept but is not currently available. In that same list of great reviews or expectations but is not yet available (anything Xin, iBasso D, Larocco PRII or Diablo).

So given all that Hornet made the most sense.

Now...i have it, it's been burning in for almost 3 weeks. When driving my UE11's, on the lowest gain setting, the volume is only set to about 2.5 out of a range to 10. So the ability to move the dial and make small incremental volume changes isn't there for me. Dunno if that would bother you, and i'm not even sure if it bothers me. Very frustrating that the only real way to figure this out is to have both, listen to both, and make the decision. Thank goodness for headfi meets (there's one local to me in two weeks where someone is bringing a tomahawk).

Good luck...

the more you read this forum, the more you'll realize that the advice on these things isn't authoritative, but opinion. Just extract things that appear to be verifiable facts (or at least trends), and use them to help decide for yourself. (maybe that's just obvious, but it seems many of us are looking for an answer to a really subjective question..)

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #28 of 31
If you do decide to get an RSA amp, whether it's a Tomahawk or Hornet, be sure to give it plenty of burn-in time. I was disappointed when I first listened to my Hornet because of a small soundstage and rather grainy edge. I gave it 200 hours of dedicated burn-in and then tried it again and couldn't believe how creamy and luscious it became. The sound stage also widened and sounded very natural. I gave it another 100 hours of dedicated burn-in to be safe and am very happy with it now.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be absolutely frank and say that the Hornet did absolutely nothing to the highs of the E500 out of the iPod line-out. YMMV. Might just be my ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Count me in with both of these individuals... I've used the Tomahawk with my E500's and iPod lineout dock and can hear absolutely no difference from it and using the headphone out without the tomahawk. It was kind of dissapointing to me. I'm using it to drive my 650's right now, which I can hear a considerable difference with/without the tomahawk with the 650's... but I think as soon as I get a decent desktop amp I'm going to sell the tomahawk.

Did you guys find anything else that fit your needs when the hornet/tomahawk didn't? I ordered a supermicro, but who knows when I'll get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back