RSA Tomahawk or Hornet for E500
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ace8888

100+ Head-Fier
Especially with the treble being rolled off with Shure E500 do you think I should get the Hornet or Tomahawk?

Hornet size, $, and battery isn't that much different than Tomahawk.. So, if I would have to make a sacrifice then I'd sacrifice those futures rather than SQ..

Anyone had tried the E500 + Tomahawk or Hornet combo? and what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 31
The battery life of the Hornet is what, 10-14 hours? Tomahawk is 400+! The difference in sound, once broken in, is almost nothing. I find this to be true in my own experience with the E500.

Since the SQ is about equal, I'd say that that size, cost, and insane battery life make Tomahawk the solid choice... Especially if you don't plan on using it to drive bigger phones.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Especially with the treble being rolled off with Shure E500 do you think I should get the Hornet or Tomahawk?

Hornet size, $, and battery isn't that much different than Tomahawk.. So, if I would have to make a sacrifice then I'd sacrifice those futures rather than SQ..

Anyone had tried the E500 + Tomahawk or Hornet combo? and what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks in advance.

Well, a decent amp should not add nor subtract anything from the input signal (in a perfect world), so the frequency response of your cans/iem don't really enter into it, IMO. That said, some amps are warmer than others (blech, hate abstract terms like these). Keep in mind that, according to Ray S, the RSA amps are voiced to "sound" the same.

Both amps will drive your E500's. The Hornet will also drive cans like hd650 very well (some say the Toma will also, but I haven't any hands-on experience with that).

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both amps will drive your E500's. The Hornet will also drive cans like hd650 very well (some say the Toma will also, but I haven't any hands-on experience with that).

I had the HD600 with the Hornet and Tomahawk, and while the Hornet did a fine job, the Tomahawk just couldn't quite work the HD600's to their fullest -- lack of low bass especially.

But if you're just going to use it with the E500, I would say to for the TH!

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 31
Go Tomahawk, I've heard both. I picked the Tomahawk. Very happy with it and have over 1000 hours on it.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 31
@ thread:

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I'm considering a Tomahawk after reading your blog
3000smile.gif

from this forum some said there's no big difference with or without amp.. esp. if your source is X5..

However, like you, I also couldn't bear the hiss from X5 in low volume and after reading your blog I'm convinced that the Toma would reduce this hissing problem.....

What about the "rolled off" highs? do you find it improving after using the Toma? or there's no big difference?

and lastly, I saw from your blog that you connected the Toma to the X5 using headphone jack port. (is this actually good? are you considering using the line out?)

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Tomahawk, I've heard both. I picked the Tomahawk. Very happy with it and have over 1000 hours on it.

I'm so eager to buy one now!
580smile.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ace8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ thread:

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I'm considering a Tomahawk after reading your blog
3000smile.gif

from this forum some said there's no big difference with or without amp.. esp. if your source is X5..

However, like you, I also couldn't bear the hiss from X5 in low volume and after reading your blog I'm convinced that the Toma would reduce this hissing problem.....

What about the "rolled off" highs? do you find it improving after using the Toma? or there's no big difference?

and lastly, I saw from your blog that you connected the Toma to the X5 using headphone jack port. (is this actually good? are you considering using the line out?)

Thanks.

The Tomahawk definitely eliminates the hiss. It most likely eliminates the rolled off highs problem, but I'm not sure that this bothered me too much from the beginning. Or maybe I haven't listened to the E500's without the amp in too long... OR maybe the X5 headphone out is really all that and a bag of chips and does perform admirably ampless.

I honestly do agree with the other head-fiers who share the inclination that the X5 hp out is a FINE output, and is even better amped. I compared it to the "line out" on my iHP-120, and couldn't really tell the difference.

As you can see from the pictures in my blog post, the Cardas 6" interconnect works great with the X5/TH as it's short and angled. I had an ALO Jena Cryo mini-to-mini, but it wasn't as convenient and I couldn't really tell the difference from the Cardas, so I sold it off.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 31
I say get both. I own a Hornet and it is a very versatile little amp. I love how it can drive my HD600's and my UE10's & E500's effortlessly.

That being said - I wouldn't mind getting a tomahawk as well.
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 31
I'd get a Tomahawk if I do not foresee myself driving any large size cans with it. Or even any high impedence buds like the PK1s. If not, I'd stick with the Hornet, it is one very versatile beast, I can drive it all the way from IEMs (at low gain), Beyer 80/250ohm cans at medium gain and Beyer 600ohm/HD600 at high gain.
The battery life is quite dependent on the type of can you are driving. I get over 30 hours on IEMs, down to around 10 hours with the large cans. Very versatile, and as for batteries, the Maha 300 mAh ones are great and I charge them every 3-5 days depending on my usage.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 31
I'm going to be absolutely frank and say that the Hornet did absolutely nothing to the highs of the E500 out of the iPod line-out. YMMV. Might just be my ears.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 31
Same here, i'm hesitating between the Hornet and Tomahawk, with my IMOD+E500/SE530, and still plan to get the UE11 sometime later, any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back