RSA The Lightning F-35, fully balanced portable amp Review: 35 more F-35 amps at intro price . . .
May 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #243 of 261

+R +L
-R  -L

Please use orientation of your first picture
The notch is on the top.

Your second picture the notch is at the bottom
Please be careful that the negative L and negative right never short-out as it can burn internal components 

May 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #244 of 261
OK, I did it like the first orientation, so I think this is it !

May 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #245 of 261
both top must be positive, both bottom are negative
Switch your right channel positive and right channel negative

Remember where the notch is, that is positive right channel and positive left channel

should be

+R     +L
-R       -L

Jul 26, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #248 of 261
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know or have measured the output impedance of the F-35 Lightning?

I think it is around 3 ohms, which doesn't change the sound but does provide some short circuit protection. I have used it with all types of phones and always had great results. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #250 of 261
Even with low impedance like SE846?

I do not believe it is that high. I use it with my SE846 and if it was 3ohms I would expect the impedance mismatch to boost the lows and scooped out the mids which I certainly do not hear with my admittedly untrained ear.

I posted the question out of curiosity. I remember when I bought my Lightning in January asking Ray if I would have a problem pairing it with the 8ohm 846 and received the rather vague answer of I should not have any problems.

Please do not take this as a criticism, I think the Lighting is the best portable amp for IEMs currently available.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #251 of 261
I would love someone to do a comparison between the Lightning, and the ALO International +....

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #254 of 261
Does the power unit for the F-35 only charge the battery, or is it used instead of the battery if the battery is already full ?
I ask because I have an LPS unit that just so happens to match the voltage/output to F-35.

I just missed out on picking one of these units last week.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #255 of 261
Having the power attached will work, but it adds noise. Keeping it connected is only recommended for burning in cables, the amp, the headphones, etc. the adapter is really only for charging. It's a portable amp. You know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back