RSA shipping to UK
Mar 14, 2007 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

onocentaur

100+ Head-Fier
I've ordered a Hornet from Ray. Just wondering if other UK Head-Fi RSA users can give me any info on how they received their amps? I've asked Ray how he sent it and whether there was a tracking number but haven't had a reply yet. Did it come in the normal mail or with a courier or what? And how long did it take?

cheers!
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've ordered a Hornet from Ray. Just wondering if other UK Head-Fi RSA users can give me any info on how they received their amps? I've asked Ray how he sent it and whether there was a tracking number but haven't had a reply yet. Did it come in the normal mail or with a courier or what? And how long did it take?

cheers!
icon10.gif

It takes around a week or so, comes with the post (no courier) and if you're lucky it slips under the customs radar being so small.

No tracking number is normally given, your first notification after payment is when it arrives. I believe Ray uses USPS for deliveries to UK.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you order it? I thought Ray was out of stock of Hornets, until ~ July??

Wow. Either those things are selling like hot cakes or there's a problem in the parts supply.

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you order it? I thought Ray was out of stock of Hornets, until ~ July??

Yikes! Well, I ordered it about a fortnight ago, but I got an email from Ray saying he was posting it last Monday or Tuesday, and I'm sure he wouldn't lie...

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
It takes around a week or so, comes with the post (no courier) and if you're lucky it slips under the customs radar being so small.

Sweet. I should have it soon then!
Thanks for the help!

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes! Well, I ordered it about a fortnight ago, but I got an email from Ray saying he was posting it last Monday or Tuesday, and I'm sure he wouldn't lie...

Sweet. I should have it soon then!
Thanks for the help!

No, he wouldn't lie! That's good news!! Enjoy, it's an awesome little amp!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 25
Yeah there's meant to be a part that is being updated by the supplier that Ray uses in the Hornet. Rather than use inferior parts he's waiting (or has waited?) for the original to come back into stock.

Interesting that you got a Hornet though..

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #10 of 25
I'm also surprised to hear that Hornets are shipping after reading about the parts crisis. While I'm not from the UK, I recently received a Hornet here in Finland. Took about two weeks, which is about twice as long as it takes for any package to get here from the USA.

The thing I really don't understand is why the tracking numbers aren't given, because I could have used the one that was issued by the post office for my package. It was sent registered mail with a tracking number, and I had to go to the post office to sign for it.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 25
I'm not sure about Finland, but in the UK, normal international incoming registered/signed-for mail is not trackable unless for some reason (and it has happenned to me) it gets passed onto a local courier for deliver (eg Parcelforce 24/48 if Royal Mail deem the package too large for normal delivery).

From my experience with Ray, he sends normal USPS Airmail. It will take a bit over a week to deliver as the expected delivery time is 4-10 days (more like 9-10 days to the UK, in my experience). I guess you could ask him to send by USPS Global Priority, which has consistently delivered in exactly one week from postal date OR USPS Global Express EMS, which was delivered by ParcelForce 24 four days after dispatch (one or two days quicker than USPS GPM) and is fully trackable.

While others have had problems with USPS Global Express Mail, I've had nothing but very fast deliveries, the thought of ordering your item on Monday and getting it on Thursday or Friday is very nice. It's pretty costly, but reasonable (53USD for a 4kg amp, 30USD for a pair of headphones)

Ray tends to overestimate the delivery times. He quoted similar ones for both my transactions with him and they ended up coming in just over a week.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing I really don't understand is why the tracking numbers aren't given, because I could have used the one that was issued by the post office for my package. It was sent registered mail with a tracking number, and I had to go to the post office to sign for it.

The tracking numbers aren't given because they are, put simply, absolutely useless. I've asked Ray about this before and he told me that USPS are terrible at updating their website.
He's not wrong either, he once gave me the tracking number anyway so that I could see for myself, plus I've been given USPS tracking numbers from other companies. None of them have ever been updated passed the "Collected from XXXXX" stage. I once checked back a couple of weeks after I'd received the item and it was still at that stage. Utterly useless, although I suppose it could technically be of some use for trying to find out where it is in your home country, but even then they usually attach their own new tracking numbers.

Mar 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 25
Be prepared to pay customs charges on it.
I got stung for my Tomahawk as have many UK members. The postie will stand on your doorstep and inform you they can't hand over the parcel until you hand over the cash.....

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 25
Totally new to this amp thing, I was just wondering your views on which RSA to go for as I only use an ipod and my etymotics.

I was going to try the Shure E500s but after a little research an amp will be money well spent.

Which one do I go for guys?

Finally how did anyone from the UK pay Ray? I don't have pay Pal at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back