RSA Raptor, WA6SE with Sophia, or Headroom Balanced Desktop
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

WittyzTH

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi folks

I think it's time again that upgraditis bother me a lot. I actually love to try the balanced rig since I already have the balanced source and I can reterminate my phones to be balanced easily. However, my budget is very tight. What I can afford is the headroom balanced desktop amp, and now I'm still doubted that it is a good move. Also, keeping reading about WA6SE with Sophia makes me really want to have it.

I now own the RSA Raptor which I'm quite satisfied with it. I know WA6SE can surpass the Raptor, but honestly I lean toward the entire balanced rig more.

The conclusion comes up with choices below:

1. Sell Raptor >> get WA6SE with Sophia
2. Sell Raptor >> get balanced HR Desktop
3. Sell Raptor >> get WA6 with Sophia (get maxed upgrade later) + get balanced HR to try.
4. Stick with RSA a while and get something else such as Zana Deux -_-"

My main headphone is ATH-W3000 (W100 with L3000's drivers) and I prefer deep bass out of the amp while having smooth mid sound since my W3000 has quite forward mid. I need to tame it down a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance for help.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 33
Headroom balanced

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 33
Now this is just my personal opinion, take it with a grain of salt. However, for me, Headroom is the DO IT ALL version of the headphone amp. Tyll is AWESOME, knows his stuff. I hung out with him at a few of the florida meets.

I really enjoyed the Woo, however to me, balanced sound is better overall signature to me. Not to say the woo isnt good, the balanced just seems to really give the power that makes phones sound great. The Woo is very tubey sounding amp, adds warmth...which may or may not be what you want. The balanced is actually 2 separate SS amps (one for each side). Not only that but its also a SE amp (each balanced connector in a SE also). Not to mention having Crossfeed, gain switch, dual inputs. Crossfeed isnt really great, however gain switch and dual inputs (my Headroom has a preamp out also) is just a fantastic.

Ive heard a raptor...great sounding amp, however its just not versatile like HR balanced. Does have dual inputs though..which is nice. Its also tube amp, however, iirc it wasnt very tubey sounding. Since Ray is really a SS guy...it really keeps the signature you come to known with Ray. Accurate, refined, full sounding, EXPENSIVE =)

Since they all go around the same price...i think that the headroom has more to offer than the Woo or Raptor.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 33
Not that it is on your list, but I just placed an order for a Woo Audio 2, which is in the same price range ($950). I was deciding between the WA6SE and WA2 (I had originally ordered a regular WA6 but decided to spend some extra money and change my order). Jack Wu said that the WA2 and WA6SE have a similar level performance, but with very different sound signatures. He described the Woo2 as having a softer and warmer presentation, with the WA6SE being the opposite.

At the end of the day, I decided to go with the slightly more unusual choice in the WA2. Plus, the ability to have the dual-coke-bottle power tubes look like in this photo sealed the deal for me: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3003331-post3.html.
biggrin.gif
Just an idea...

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 33
Thanks HighLife, that's exactly what I thought about balanced vs WA6SE. I like tube sound, but still need some feeling of deep and fast bass response. I've heard the HR Maxed Desktop amp which was really good. So the balanced HR is one of my choice.

WA6SE gets lot of impression too and since it's tube amp, I'd like to try it. (it's beautiful though.
biggrin.gif
)

bobsmith, thanks for suggestion. However, I don't need the pre amp. and as I mentioned, I don't want the sound too soft. I mainly listen to rock, pop and sometimes jazz. Not very often I enjoy classical.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 33
Well... I can tell you there are very few set ups, if any, that can rival the superb sound you get from:

Marantz SA8001 or Monarchy M24 > WA6 SE Maxed > "new" version Senn HD580/600/650s or Denon MMD5000.

The Senns never sounded so good - literally!

Though... I should note... as I have elsewhere - "its all about matching all of the components to produce the optimum sound - headphones are just headphones, otherwise," no matter which phones they are.

And... the WA6 SE is by no means a "tubey" sounding amp - very fast, lots of PRAT and impact, extreme detail and clarity, with great soundstage... that several suggest sounds better than the Zana Deau...

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 33
hmmm i had it for 2 weeks testing it out...it sounded pretty tubey to me....maybe a tube change lessened the sound i heard.

to my ears, the WOO is not as accurate as the balanced.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 33
Had a WA6, Own the Raptor and Maxxed Desktop. Can't speak for the balanced since I have not heard it. When I asked one of the HR sales reps if it was worth giving up my basic (at the time) desktop for going balanced, or just maxxing out my se desktop, he said max out the desktop and skip the balanced.

Now, mind you, I had a standard WA6. This was a very tubey amp. Lush, deep bass, but still with plenty of detail. Can't speak to maxxed WA6 or 6SE since I have not try either one. I did not feel like having it burn in for 400-500 hours to get the caps right.

But based on it's sound, which was very, very good, you will miss your Raptor. The Woo just did not have the impact and fun of the Raptor. If you want to go more tubey, get a nice 1950's Mullard long plate or 1960's Mullard short plate for the 12au7, and a pair of 1960's Raytheon branded Tung-sol's for the 5687's. This will warm up the sound nicely.

I love my Maxxed desktop. It is as versatile an amp as you are going to get, with 3 digital inputs, 2 analog inputs, and 1 output. It sounds incredible as well. With all of that said, my Raptor is by far my favorite of the two, and of the other amps I've owned as well. I wouldn't give it up, unless it was for something of the upper, upper echelon, say a B-52.

Just thought I'd add my 1/2 cent.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 33
The Woo 6 without the pseudo dual power supply failed to really impress me. it was nice but not exciting. It sat for some time until I modified it. Then it becomes a totally different amp. Dynamic with solid and well controlled bass. I love tubes and have built tube equipment for years but I don't like the typical "tube" sound. I like accurate, detailed and musical and that is what you get with the 6 and the PDPS.

From everything I have read the Raptor is also a fine amp. It would b e fun to own both.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 33
wharfrat1, thanks for your impression.
smily_headphones1.gif
I had very great time with the Maxed Desktop Amp too although it was just during the meet. I was impressed a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

jamato8, thanks! I wonder what's the modded WA6? Is that just the maxed one? If not, how can I get it? and how much I need to spend?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 33
I had the chance to compare the maxxed WA6 (not SE) with the stock Sovtek 5u4g and GE 6de7, alongside the Headamp GS-1, using an HD-650 and ATH-AD2000, and I didnt find the WA6 to be tubey or lush in the stereotypical tube amp way at all.

In fact, they were quite hard to tell apart, with the differences being quite subtle, and 2-3 other headfiers have commented on the same thing. I would say the Woo has that subtle tube smoothness and nuance, but it is not in anyway an inaccurate or syrupy tube amp. It is also dead quiet with every single tube I have tried.

As for dynamics and impact, the WA6SE is probably more so than the WA6 with its stronger PSU. However the 6fd7 output tubes do add more punch to the sound than the 6ed7, so I wouldn't say this is an inherent property of the amp.
I've had the Woo6 for over a year now, and the wide range of inexpensive tube rolling options have kept the amp sounding fresh and interesting to me.

I haven't heard the Headroom Balanced or Raptor, so I cant comment.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wharfrat1, thanks for your impression.
smily_headphones1.gif
I had very great time with the Maxed Desktop Amp too although it was just during the meet. I was impressed a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

jamato8, thanks! I wonder what's the modded WA6? Is that just the maxed one? If not, how can I get it? and how much I need to spend?
smily_headphones1.gif

The modified 6 changes the power supply into a dual power supply so each power section of the tube has its own cap, which increases the dynamics and everything else about the presentation.

Mine also has Black Gates in Super E configuration, which lowers ESR to almost nothing and does away with inductance. I also use a few teflon caps in strategic positions and a few other changes as well as coming off from the power supply at a different point than that of a modified Woo 6 from Woo Audio. Anyway, get the PDPS if you get one and you will have a fine amp.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 33
Here comes a curve---

If you're going to go balanced (I'm a person when it comes to balanced so you will get no objectivity from me on this issue) I think that the RudiStor NX-33 has much higher sound quality that the Headroom. It is just that fewer people have heard then as they slightly rare in these parts. That's my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back