RSA Raptor or Rudistor RP5.3 Tridens for AKG 701s?
Jul 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sclamb

1000+ Head-Fier
Being in the UK it would be difficult to try these two amps out with my 701s before purchasing, but from the reviews they both seem to be top class amps.

I think they could both drive the 701s well, but am undecided as to which would get the best from these headphones.

If anyone has a view, or even better actual experience with either combo, your input would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Simon

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 14
That will be great. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Simon

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the Rudistor but I just purchased a Raptor to mate with my 701 and will be able to post some comments in a few days.

Do you have any initial impressions of the Raptor/K701 combination yet? I am also considering a Woo WA6 as well and have had a helpful response from Jack.

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any initial impressions of the Raptor/K701 combination yet? I am also considering a Woo WA6 as well and have had a helpful response from Jack.

Thanks.

Yes, I did receive the Raptor at the end of last week and have been burning it in since. First impressions: the 701 sounds musical, with more weight and impact than what I was previously hearing. Fit and finish is beautiful, and the small size is a real bonus for me since it's part of a computer desktop rig. Ray said the Raptor would "give flesh" to the 701 and I would agree with that. He also suggested an additional 100 hours of burn in, will try and post more impressions and pics in a couple of days.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Great, thanks. I appreciate the update. The Raptor and the WA6 are around the same price but the Raptor just looks so nice (not to say that the WA6 doesn't but there is just something about the Raptor that is good to look at).

Of course, it is all about the sound, so I look forward to your additional thoughts.

Simon

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 14
I have K501 and RP5.1 at home. There is definitely NO synergy between both, so I would not expect great results from K701 and RP5.3. RP5.1 is really nice with HD650 though.

However, the RudiStor NX-33 (SS and from single ended output) do have a very nice synergy with K501. So my recommendation for RudiStor amp line would be an NX-03 or even better, RPX-33.

Regards,

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 14
Yup, RPX-33 does work very well with 701.

Agreed with vcoheda, it may not be an upgrade....just different.

As you are into valve, you could also look at Eddie Current Zana (albeit much more expensive).

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told The Raptor sound pretty close to B-52 in the single ended section, and likewise with HR-2 and Apache.

i wonder if that's really true. and i don't mean specs. i mean sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back