RSA Predator vs Practical Devices XM6
Dec 13, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 27

Quote:

Sorry, I am a bit new to this. After all, my first audiophile grade cans are the Grado SR-60i which does not really require any amping. So I am a bit new to this level of detail. However I do realize that a portable amp will not bring out the best of my HD600s, but given my current set up (and what I am planning to get in the future) I need a portable amp. Actually, I was just looking at the Pico DAC/AMP and will throw it in the mix; however what voltage do you recommend to run the 600s ? All the research I've done consists of reading qualitative reviews of how the amps pay with the HD600 on Head-Fi and others sites.I didn't really study and quantitative measurements. Thanks for the input.

most of high resolution amps can easily drive HD600.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:

Sorry, I am a bit new to this. After all, my first audiophile grade cans are the Grado SR-60i which does not really require any amping. So I am a bit new to this level of detail. However I do realize that a portable amp will not bring out the best of my HD600s, but given my current set up (and what I am planning to get in the future) I need a portable amp. Actually, I was just looking at the Pico DAC/AMP and will throw it in the mix; however what voltage do you recommend to run the 600s ? All the research I've done consists of reading qualitative reviews of how the amps pay with the HD600 on Head-Fi and others sites.I didn't really study and quantitative measurements. Thanks for the input.

You will usually see portable amps spec'ed in max output current.  If voltage is not mentioned, you know it's low.  With 300 ohm headphones like the HD600s, you are almost always going to be voltage limited with a portable amp.  The Pico uses a 8.4V battery.  One of the amps you mention uses a 4.2V battery.  The XM6, I don't know.  Then there are some amps that are around 12V or 18V which would be even better, but they typically do not include a DAC or are not as portable, or have shorter battery life.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:

amp that can provide high resolution sound like 71B, iQube etc.

Please enlighten us with your experiences vis-a-vis high and low resolution amps - dont be afraid to name names. You've waded into several threads heavy on opinion and light on facts, from where I'm sitting. I don't have an electronics background, but when someone like Justin takes the time to educate the rest of us, I tend to take notice - my advice is for you to do likewise.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #23 of 27
I was doing more research and I happened to find out that Ray Samuels lives 15 minutes away from me. I emailed him to ask a few questions and he offered me to come over to take a listen.... what a small world. I just wish I have the pico or xm6 to compare.... anyway thanks for your help.  

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
I was doing more research and I happened to find out that Ray Samuels lives 15 minutes away from me. I emailed him to ask a few questions and he offered me to come over to take a listen.... what a small world. I just wish I have the pico or xm6 to compare.... anyway thanks for your help.  

Lucky! I wish I had that opportunity.

This thread has somewhat deviated from my initial question, but just for the record I ordered an XM6. I listened to my friends and it sounded great to me and had a bunch of extra features/buttons. I didn't really have anything else to compare it to, but it suited my needs and wants. I'm sure eventually I'll end up getting a predator and maybe a few others to have some kind of comparison/standard. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
Lucky! I wish I had that opportunity.

This thread has somewhat deviated from my initial question, but just for the record I ordered an XM6. I listened to my friends and it sounded great to me and had a bunch of extra features/buttons. I didn't really have anything else to compare it to, but it suited my needs and wants. I'm sure eventually I'll end up getting a predator and maybe a few others to have some kind of comparison/standard. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sorry I hijacked your post, but I am happy that you have found your amp and are happy with it ! ... I hope that I can find the right amp for my needs. Thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #26 of 27
Bit late on this thread, Ive just won a xm6 for a reasonable sum on ebay with the 8741 installed, to clear something up it uses a 8.3v replaceable battery which should be fine for 300 ohm dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back