RSA Predator vs Practical Devices XM6
Dec 6, 2011 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

theeeeric

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys, in the market for a portable headphone amp. In my limited research, I have found that the RSA predator and Practical Devices XM6 are popular and have had many good reviews, but haven't really found anything putting these 2 amps head to head. Can anyone recommend one over the other? or possibly give a run down of the pros and cons of each? Main use would be from an ipod classic through an LOD to "the amp" to westone 4r's. Thanks for any input!

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 27
If you are looking at just an amp why are you looking at the predator? It is an amp dac. If you will not be using the dac function then you should look at the p51 or the shadow.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 27
I would buy a pico amp/dac if it were me. I love rsa products but like the pico over the predator.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
If you are looking at just an amp why are you looking at the predator? It is an amp dac. If you will not be using the dac function then you should look at the p51 or the shadow.

As is the XM6.

The XM6's USB-DAC stage is equipped with Texas Instruments' SRC4192 digital upconverter, feeding the legendary Wolfson Micro WM874x-series DAC (your choice of WM8740, WM8741, or WM8742), operating with 24-bit resolution at a 192kHz sampling rate. The result is absolutely unrivalled USB audio quality.

http://www.practicaldevices.com/#xm6

I dont know about problems with the XM6 - Jude recommends it highly - but its substantially cheaper than the shipped price for the Pico amp w/DAC (or the Predator). Justin makes great amps - no question - but the OP has to weigh everything up before he puts down his hard-earned cash. For an amp-only solution, I considered the XM5 prior to buying my current amps.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 27
I used the XM6 with my JH16s for a few months, and I miss it already. Great clarity/detail/punch, the bass button was awesome. The only thing it was lacking was volume control and there was a popping on startup that was rather annoying if you had your iems plugged in. Overall its a great amp/dac.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm in the same boat and most likely I would not buy another amp or a looong looong time, so I need to choose wisely.
I am looking for an amp that will drive my HD600s as well as my Grado SR-80i. I plan to buy a Grado SR-225i in the future.
I like the XM6 because it is the cheapest out of all of them, the features, and the equalizer.
I like the RSA Predator because of the build quality, and the high reviews it has. Not to mention the life time warranty.
I listen to Jazz, Folk, Trance, Classical, and some Rock. Given the variety of music, I think I ought to get the MX6 because I can adjust the signal. But the reviews for Predator makes it appear that it is the next best thing as sliced bread. So any advice would be of help. Thanks.   

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
I'm in the same boat and most likely I would not buy another amp or a looong looong time, so I need to choose wisely.
I am looking for an amp that will drive my HD600s as well as my Grado SR-80i. I plan to buy a Grado SR-225i in the future.
I like the XM6 because it is the cheapest out of all of them, the features, and the equalizer.
I like the RSA Predator because of the build quality, and the high reviews it has. Not to mention the life time warranty.
I listen to Jazz, Folk, Trance, Classical, and some Rock. Given the variety of music, I think I ought to get the MX6 because I can adjust the signal. But the reviews for Predator makes it appear that it is the next best thing as sliced bread. So any advice would be of help. Thanks.   

if you're going to be driving the HD600, then you need to be looking at the output voltage that the amp can provide

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 12, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 27

Quote:

How about ibasso D12? personally i would choose between d12 and xm6

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 27
iBasso's power output numbers are rarely presented in a meaningful way - ignore them. This is what meaningful numbers look like:

Maximum Continuous Power output:
60 mWrms/channel into 32 ohm @ nominal (3.6V) battery voltage;
10 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load @ nominal battery voltage;
16 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load @ fully charged (4.2V) battery voltage;
28 mWrms/channel into 300 ohm load with 5.2V USB power supply;

That said, the P4 is a very powerful little beast - much more powerful than the D12.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 27
I don't know ibasso stock numbers but ad8536 has 250mA output, so when installed it's more than enough for me, though xm6 or d6 more juicy I still prefer d12 cause it gives more flexibility with coax inputs

inb4 I know that this is not per channel output power

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
if you're going to be driving the HD600, then you need to be looking at the output voltage that the amp can provide

Sorry, I am a bit new to this. After all, my first audiophile grade cans are the Grado SR-60i which does not really require any amping. So I am a bit new to this level of detail. However I do realize that a portable amp will not bring out the best of my HD600s, but given my current set up (and what I am planning to get in the future) I need a portable amp. Actually, I was just looking at the Pico DAC/AMP and will throw it in the mix; however what voltage do you recommend to run the 600s ? All the research I've done consists of reading qualitative reviews of how the amps pay with the HD600 on Head-Fi and others sites.I didn't really study and quantitative measurements. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back