RSA Predator or?????
Jun 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LaurenceS

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just getting back into gear after a 30+ year hiatus.  I currently have a Samsung Series 7 Slate Tablet PC (model XE700T1a-a04us) running Windows 7 Pro.  I also have Sennheiser IE80 IEM's.  I predominately listen to music through spotify (highest quality (320kbps?) streaming setting).  I'd like to move into an external DAC/amp, and am strongly considering the Ray Samuels Audio Predator.  The one consideration that I currently have is that I may eventually drop some $$$ for nearfields like the Dynaudio BM5aMkII's (I come from a pro-audio background), but the Predator only has the 3.5mm headphone out.  The only other consideration that is on my mind right now is the "out" on the slate.  I have USB, but I also have micro HDMI.  I primarily listen to classic rock/blues (Eric Clapton, Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Dire Straits), Synth-pop (Depeche Mode, Scritti Politti), Jazz, and Classical.  Is the Predator the best option given these parameters in the $500 price range?  There's so much new technology out there in the market, it's positively overwhelming.

Thanks for your help,

Laurence M. Schwarz
Edmonds, WA
USA

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 9
Just by curiosity, do you intend to move around with your set-up like : "listen from the tablet on the bus" or would it have an already prepared spot on a table at home so you just plug the table and enjoy your music?

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 9
Excellent!  Thank you for your valuable opinion!  Being an old school analog guy (I "cut my teeth" on rebuilding old Dynakit mono-bloc's) I definitely like warm :)

Thanks again,

-Laurence

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 9
I like the simplicity of the DACPort, it fits in my travel headphone case well, and I don't need to remember to charge it.(half the time I traveled the Predator was dead)

My portable setup = MBP/MBA with DACPort, 500gig music USB Disk and AudioTechnica ESW10JPN headphones.

The DACPort will handle up to 24/96, which is not matched by many of the generic USB DACs.

BTW, there are folks reporting good success using the DACport as DAC/Pre in front of powered speakers in a desktop setup.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 9
I have the RSA Predator and it's great for portable use - extremely long battery life!  This amp has three different gain settings and can accommodate a variety of headphones/IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back