RSA Predator for HD600
Jul 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

milesandcoltrane

100+ Head-Fier
Have any of you guys tried/used/owned the Senn HD600 with the RSA Predator?

I'm looking to get the HD600 after falling in love with their sound.

I need a transportable DAC/Amp if not I won't get to listen to them as much as I'd like to. As much as I'd love to and want to get a dedicated home amp and DAC my current work-life situation and budget does not allow for one.

The RSA site mentions the HD600 extensively, which leads me to think that the Predator was built around/voiced with the HD600 in mind. I've also read a number of posts putting these two together.

Alternatives include the Headamp Pico and iBasso D10 (optical should be better than USB right? + my Macbook Pro has an optical out).

FWIW I would also be using the Predator with my Sony MDR-7506 which really need an amp IMHO.

On a sidenote I tried the Heed Canamp with my MDR-7506 and fell in love with the amp. I could really hear a night and day difference between this amp and ampless.

My budget at its absolute limit would be the price of the Hornet RRP ($475).

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 7
I and a few believe that portable amps do a fine job powering full size cans. Others are totally against and actually I have seen discussions here get nasty over the merit or not of amping full size cans w/ portable amps.

Unless you need portability you can get quite a few very good home amps for $475. Do a search and you will find out.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 7
hi there milesandcoltrane

This is the exact set up I have at the moment.

This is my first foray into headphone amp / full sized cans territory so I am by no means an expert.. but I can tell you my personal opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

I think this combo sounds fantastic. Itunes definitely needs eq'ng to brightne things up a bit.. so it is something to keep in mind. As well, I only have about 100 hours of playing time on this Predator, and I have read that it doesn't reach it's potential until about 500 - 1000 hours!

Anyway, if you have a $1000 to spend then I don't feel you can go wrong with a HD600 / Predator set up

My .02
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 7
The SR-71A has the cojones to drive the HD600's reasonably well for a portable -- more so than any of the other RSA portables.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredcook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, if you have a $1000 to spend then I don't feel you can go wrong

Not even $1000... You can get HD600's for 275ish on ebay, even less probably if you look harder.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even $1000... You can get HD600's for 275ish on ebay, even less probably if you look harder.

I am in Canada so it was about a 'G' note for both the amp ( $620 CDN ) and cans ( $390 CDN) when the currency conversion and shipping was all said and done
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back