RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Dec 29, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #151 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was afraid to listen to a new amp that I got over a week ago,and still have not listened to it yet!

I believe that you should listen to any component that people claim improve over time with burn-in. This way, you and your new toy get to mature together and you can experience the ups and downs of the unit will it it's ready for the Cotillion.
Sort of like getting a dog that's not paper trained and still needs all the shots. You will have a more intimate history with your friend when you go through the maturing curve with it. It's like getting a new amp every three days.
cool.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #152 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what do you attribute this settling period you experienced to, the amp having not been used for a period of time or something else?

I would guess not being on for a while. It only took a couple of hours and the sound became focussed and has stayed that way.

I agree on leaving the unit on. I always leave my solid-state devices on.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #153 of 723
Quote:

I was afraid to listen to a new amp that I got over a week ago,and still have not listened to it yet!

That's craaazy talk. Break it out, throw on some music, and enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sort of like getting a dog that's not paper trained and still needs all the shots.

This is the analogy you came up with?
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #154 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the analogy you came up with?
tongue.gif

It was one that hits close to home with me. I could have used the "virgin and patience" theory, but I thought the cute puppy analogy would be better suited.
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #155 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was one that hits close to home with me. I could have used the "virgin and patience" theory, but I thought the cute puppy analogy would be better suited.
redface.gif

okie dokie then.
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #156 of 723
Quote:

Immediately go get the amp and start using it. This stuff about letting it sit around to burn in is nuts. Enjoy the amp. If it sounds good now, it will continue to sound good.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #157 of 723
Is their any indication that the predator is being charged?, or will the switch only glow red when it is fully charged. Just wondering since mines been charging for about 4 hours now. And i want to get using it.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #158 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by addz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is their any indication that the predator is being charged?, or will the switch only glow red when it is fully charged. Just wondering since mines been charging for about 4 hours now. And i want to get using it.

You can use it while being charged with no problem and it most likely came with some charge. The on/off switch is red when on and does not change color. It lightly blinks when charging but it is not always easy to see the lightly blinking light. I would imagine it didn't take long to top off the battery so start using it! :^)

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #159 of 723
Mine is sounding better daily. I'm not worried about it but am enjoying the amp now. What has me a little thrown is Jamato stating that he got his predator with 300 hours burn in on it to begin with and claims to still be hearing differences both good or bad after 600 hours. I am a firm believer any component will change over a 300 hour burn in gradualy over the next 300 first or so hours and then perhaps subtle changes there after for up to 500 or 600 hours but the fact that Jamato claims all these "mood swings' of the amp between 300 and 600 hours are so drastic has me a little perplexed. I suppose my Cardas Golden Cross cables had this kind of burn in time so perhaps it's not all that unusual.
For the record, for those who have not heard the Predator, it is a very nice sounding amp regardles it's size. I have maybe 2 days play on mine. I required to charge it one since the day befor Christmas. I have only the RSA HR-2 to compare it to so it's definately holding it's own. Using the usb dac is an obvious improvement over my creative extreme music sound blaster card line out to the amp only which sounds good itself.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #160 of 723
thanks jamato8, i only ask if their is indication if the predator is charging because when mine is charging (plugged into the mains) i do not see any blinking whatsoever, maybe its not even charging.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #161 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is sounding better daily. I'm not worried about it but am enjoying the amp now. What has me a little thrown is Jamato stating that he got his predator with 300 hours burn in on it to begin with and claims to still be hearing differences both good or bad after 600 hours. I am a firm believer any component will change over a 300 hour burn in gradualy over the next 300 first or so hours and then perhaps subtle changes there after for up to 500 or 600 hours but the fact that Jamato claims all these "mood swings' of the amp between 300 and 600 hours are so drastic has me a little perplexed. I suppose my Cardas Golden Cross cables had this kind of burn in time so perhaps it's not all that unusual.
For the record, for those who have not heard the Predator, it is a very nice sounding amp regardles it's size. I have maybe 2 days play on mine. I required to charge it one since the day befor Christmas. I have only the RSA HR-2 to compare it to so it's definately holding it's own. Using the usb dac is an obvious improvement over my creative extreme music sound blaster card line out to the amp only which sounds good itself.

I was surprised myself. I used other references when I was in doubt, to rule out my ears/mind hearing/perceiving something different. I would not say the changes were "drastic" but to me they were noticable. I don't have quite 600 hours on the unit yet (approaching 590) but it seems to have evened out.

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #162 of 723
Ok I'm running my predator of iMOD VCAP with Apuresound ER-4P and UE11. They sound outstanding. The midrange is just intoxicating. I don't like the DAC just yet though. too dry sounding and thin to my ears.

Dec 30, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #163 of 723
Quote:

thanks jamato8, i only ask if their is indication if the predator is charging because when mine is charging (plugged into the mains) i do not see any blinking whatsoever, maybe its not even charging.

mine also, no indication when charging.
i just plug it to the charger for 8-9 hours, then stop charging it and enjoy~

The predator works great with my ES3, better than tomahawk in many ways(Although tomahawk is cool).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #164 of 723
^ may as well. I used the predator first time until i could clearly hear that the battery needed to be charged, then left it charging for about 3-4 hours and now seems as if its fully charged. Next time i will prob only charge up to 2 hours as recommended.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #165 of 723
Quote:

^ may as well. I used the predator first time until i could clearly hear that the battery needed to be charged, then left it charging for about 3-4 hours and now seems as if its fully charged. Next time i will prob only charge up to 2 hours as recommended.

Leaving it plugged in for more than 2 hours will not be a problem as the battery is protected from overcharging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back