RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Jul 17, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #586 of 723
I have stated that as Ray has and other people. Also that is why music, IMO, works better than pink noise, because there are constantly changing current demands. I know that when I burn't the Predator in originally I just let it play but used music. I also think that shutting an amp down from time to time or even every day is a good way to go.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #587 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Predator is highly praised by everyone; no doubt it is a fine amp that I would be very happy with.

No, no it isn't. And I like Ray, and I like some of Ray's amps. But the above statement is simply false. It is praised by everyone in the praise threads.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #588 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have stated that as Ray has and other people. Also that is why music, IMO, works better than pink noise, because there are constantly changing current demands. I know that when I burn't the Predator in originally I just let it play but used music. I also think that shutting an amp down from time to time or even every day is a good way to go.

Jam I need to understand your logic as it intrigues me.

The cap in the amp is so large that the current the amp produces takes 10x the time to 'burn in' than a standard amp might based on your previous post regarding cap 'burn in' on a tube amp. Then this miniscule current has constantly changing current demands that acts in a similar fashion to turning off the amp and is better than pink noise. I am sorry but this causes a breakdown in logic for me, how can the cap be so massive that in takes untold hours of burn in but relatively miniscule changed in current as compared to the caps rating causes the cap to form.

You have stated a background in electronics and some expertise in caps so can you explain this?

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #589 of 723
Praise is as prays does.

P ray s = "Ray" to the P and the Y...yo.

Take that feather and stuff it in your cap -acitor, µF breath
tongue.gif

Sorry, too much Ben and Jerry's "Cherry Garcia". Makes me giddy.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #590 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no it isn't. And I like Ray, and I like some of Ray's amps. But the above statement is simply false. It is praised by everyone in the praise threads.

Tough bunch around here.

After spending hours and hours reading reviews of various amps, I would conclude that, yes, the Predator is praised by those that own it and like it. Every one of them.

I never meant to imply that everyone liked it, or praised it, & will definitely be more careful with my choice of words in the future.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #591 of 723
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jam I need to understand your logic as it intrigues me.

The cap in the amp is so large that the current the amp produces takes 10x the time to 'burn in' than a standard amp might based on your previous post regarding cap 'burn in' on a tube amp. Then this miniscule current has constantly changing current demands that acts in a similar fashion to turning off the amp and is better than pink noise. I am sorry but this causes a breakdown in logic for me, how can the cap be so massive that in takes untold hours of burn in but relatively miniscule changed in current as compared to the caps rating causes the cap to form.

You have stated a background in electronics and some expertise in caps so can you explain this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Praise is as prays does.

P ray s = "Ray" to the P and the Y...yo.

Take that feather and stuff it in your cap -acitor, µF breath
tongue.gif

Sorry, too much Ben and Jerry's "Cherry Garcia". Makes me giddy.

I like Ray too, he's a very sociable guy, but I have to report that my Hornet never burned in.....

It doesn't' sound any different today than it did the day I took it out of the box....

USG

standard.jpg

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #592 of 723
Update: I have reached 950 hours now, and the Predator sounds awesome. My unit has definitely improved, and dramatically so, from the day I got it a couple of months ago.

Last night, I plugged the Predator into my "home system"... Apple Lossless via iTunes to USB, and Sennheiser HD600's. I've been building a separate iTunes library of ALAC files, instead of the AAC 256VBR files that I use on my portable rig, and I decided to try out a few of my favorites. Maybe it was the wine, but I truly enjoyed the session.

I have never been completely thrilled with the sound of my HD600's from the portable. However, using the Predator's DAC instead of the iPod's, and the lossless files instead of the compressed, makes a significant difference. The bass is deeper and more refined, and the soundstage is expanded. It may not be a substitute for a home system, but you could do much worse than the Predator if you are on the road with your laptop and a set of full-size cans.

I have decided to go on to 1200 hours because it isn't costing me anything except a bit of electricity. Surely, that will be enough!

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #593 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update: I have reached 950 hours now, and the Predator sounds awesome. My unit has definitely improved, and dramatically so, from the day I got it a couple of months ago.

I have decided to go on to 1200 hours because it isn't costing me anything except a bit of electricity. Surely, that will be enough!

I have the long forgotten Tomahawk (I wasn't on this site for 4 months and missed out on all the Predator love) but would say I am only on 300 hrs or so
redface.gif

Am intrigued by the Predator, though I would be willing to wait until xmas for the traditional new product release. I could sell my sound card and tomahawk and get a predator instead. Or sell the sound card, keep the tomahawk and buy a predator
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #594 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Last night, I plugged the Predator into my "home system"... Apple Lossless via iTunes to USB, and Sennheiser HD600's. I've been building a separate iTunes library of ALAC files, instead of the AAC 256VBR files that I use on my portable rig, and I decided to try out a few of my favorites. Maybe it was the wine, but I truly enjoyed the session.

I have never been completely thrilled with the sound of my HD600's from the portable. However, using the Predator's DAC instead of the iPod's, and the lossless files instead of the compressed, makes a significant difference. The bass is deeper and more refined, and the soundstage is expanded. It may not be a substitute for a home system, but you could do much worse than the Predator if you are on the road with your laptop and a set of full-size cans.

At the Colorado Head-Fi meet last Saturday, everyone who compared my approx 2000 hour Predator with one at 200 and 700 hours agreed that mine was best, and that the more hours they had the better they sounded.

There was a 4th Predator there but I don't recall the hours, and I forgot the name of the guy who was leading the 4 Predator comparo. I am not sure mine sounds any different now than it did at 1200 hours, but Jamato8 says his continued to change well past 1200 hours. If I knew who it was with the 200 and 700 hour Predators I could compare mine to theirs when they hit 1200 hr vs my 2000+ hours.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #595 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the Colorado Head-Fi meet last Saturday, everyone who compared my approx 2000 hour Predator with one at 200 and 700 hours agreed that mine was best, and that the more hours they had the better they sounded.

Did listeners know which one was which while listening?

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #596 of 723
Double blind study:

The amps were in brown paper bags put there by a person picked off the street who was also drinking from a bag. That did add to the mix as one bag ended up with a can of Colt 45 but it sounded surprisingly good.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #598 of 723
Quote:

Did listeners know which one was which while listening?

As far as I know only the guy organizing the comparo knew the hours (one was his), and I didn't know the hours on the three that weren't mine until I was done listening.

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #599 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow! I think, for me, the official "burn-in" ends at 1200 hours just because I am getting tired of the process. Of course, I will be adding an hour or two per day after that from normal use, so it should just continue to improve. I am really looking for the point of diminishing returns and I have probably passed that already. Besides, my wife keeps asking when it will finally be done "cooking".
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #600 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Ray too, he's a very sociable guy, but I have to report that my Hornet never burned in.....

It doesn't' sound any different today than it did the day I took it out of the box....

USG

[size=medium]
Have you tried inserting a new battery and turning it on?[/size]

lightnin.gif

{well... at least I got a charge out of that one... sorry, it's late, I'm still at work, the check is in the mail -- btw - howyabeen?...}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back