RSA HR-2 or Headamp GS-1
Aug 15, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard a GS-1 but LOVE my HR-2!

Very speedy, liquidy highs and plenty of power. Drives my 600ohm Beyers with ease.

I was just about to post something very similar.

Not much to add, thanks Todd for saving me some trouble!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #18 of 26
Both amps are among the best in the <$1K solid-state arena for sure, but it really comes down to sonic preference and your source, since both amps are designed for high-end sources. Ray builds his amps around a Meridian G08. I forgot what Justin uses but he also uses a high-end CDP. So you should probably upgrade your source before you go for either amp.
evil_smiley.gif

The amps also have very different form factors and feature sets that you should take into account. The HR-2 comes in two chassis that are relatively compact together. The GS-1 comes in a single chassis, with two inputs, two headphone jacks, a loop out, pre-amp output, and two-way gain switch. On the technical side, the HR-2 is op-amp based on the AD797, while the GS-1 uses the discrete Dynalo circuit. You can roll the op-amp on the HR-2, and the GS-1's modules are upgradeable for when HeadAmp later releases new MOSFET modules. On top of all that, you can order one in either silver or black, while the HR-2 comes in only black.
wink.gif

I haven't heard an HR-2 yet, but the GS-1 is a transparent amp that does the job of acting a window into your source very well. The people who complain about its sound usually haven't heard it with the right source.

I'm sure the HR-2 is an amazing amp no doubt, but since I haven't heard one yet I can't comment on it. euclid posted a comparison between it and the Apache a while back and said that the HR-2 is pretty close! The HR-2 has also been out for several years now so just dig back into the past and you'll find a bunch of reviews and impressions!

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 26
i have given my opinion many times on the two..please search for it..if not i can run a play by play here..if you would like

Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. If I had to make the choice now under a different context I would probably go GS-1, as its a bit closer to neutral and more transparent.

how would you compare my personal hr2 to the gs-1 you had out for review?

you compared mine (modded silver knob new version) to the yours (old school warmer black knob) i remember.

I also did comparions to my older gs-x (the bigger brother to the gs-1 using the same modules) with my hr-2 a few times..

i could look for the old notes i may still have around if so needed

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both amps are among the best in the <$1K solid-state arena for sure, but it really comes down to sonic preference and your source, since both amps are designed for high-end sources. Ray builds his amps around a Meridian G08. I forgot what Justin uses but he also uses a high-end CDP. So you should probably upgrade your source before you go for either amp.
evil_smiley.gif

The amps also have very different form factors and feature sets that you should take into account. The HR-2 comes in two chassis that are relatively compact together. The GS-1 comes in a single chassis, with two inputs, two headphone jacks, a loop out, pre-amp output, and two-way gain switch. On the technical side, the HR-2 is op-amp based on the AD797, while the GS-1 uses the discrete Dynalo circuit. You can roll the op-amp on the HR-2, and the GS-1's modules are upgradeable for when HeadAmp later releases new MOSFET modules. On top of all that, you can order one in either silver or black, while the HR-2 comes in only black.
wink.gif

I haven't heard an HR-2 yet, but the GS-1 is a transparent amp that does the job of acting a window into your source very well. The people who complain about its sound usually haven't heard it with the right source.

I'm sure the HR-2 is an amazing amp no doubt, but since I haven't heard one yet I can't comment on it. euclid posted a comparison between it and the Apache a while back and said that the HR-2 is pretty close! The HR-2 has also been out for several years now so just dig back into the past and you'll find a bunch of reviews and impressions!

The HR-2 has op-amp in the gain/input position but it is a full discrete circuit as a driver/buffer.
Ray Samuels

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 26
I don't know if this is still applicable today, but in one of the past reviews I linked to, the reviewer tried op-amp rolling. You may still be able to request an alternate op-amp, which means more variety and likelihood you'll find the sound you're after
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HR-2 has op-amp in the gain/input position but it is a full discrete circuit as a driver/buffer.
Ray Samuels

Oh ok, thanks for the correction and info Ray.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #23 of 26
Thanks for all the input guys. I am already considering a source upgrade and am just kinda putting out feelers for input about these two amps. I really would like to try both or at least one of them. Too bad I am missing the norcal meet by a week. Going back to San Diego this Saturday. =/

On a side note, I did email Justin about the module upgrades and he said this: "Right now any change to the modules is on hold, as some parts were discontinued and I'm waiting for replacements."

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #24 of 26
I don't have the HR2, but I do have the XP-7 and the GS-1 has more detail. The XP7 is warmer, but at the expense of detail IMO. That being said, they're both excellent amps, and you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

GAD

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #25 of 26
I tend to agree with most of what has been posted about sound sig- HR-2 a bit warmer, the GS-1 more analytical. When I was trying to decide between the 2 I kept the HR-2. Then again I eventually sold the HR-2 in favor of the Opera, so if you can stretch your budget a little I'd definitely consider the Opera. Both the GS-1 and HR-2 are excellent amps, however, and are pretty similar overall IMHO.

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to agree with most of what has been posted about sound sig- HR-2 a bit warmer, the GS-1 more analytical. When I was trying to decide between the 2 I kept the HR-2. Then again I eventually sold the HR-2 in favor of the Opera, so if you can stretch your budget a little I'd definitely consider the Opera. Both the GS-1 and HR-2 are excellent amps, however, and are pretty similar overall IMHO.

i owned both simultaneously and also favor the HR-2 slightly against the GS-1, the GS-1 can sound pretty thin and harsh on bad recordings, the HR-2 never suffers from this its always smooth and full, but not overly bloated. downside to the HR-2 is the lack of input/output.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247729

this thread was locked
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back