RSA HR-2 or Headamp GS-1
Aug 15, 2007 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

penger

500+ Head-Fier
Thinking about going up the SS upgrade ladder so I've been searching around the forums for a comparison between these two amps but have not found much if anything. How would you say one stacks up against the other? I would say they are in the same price bracket and was wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare these two. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 26
If it can help you out, I read that today :

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Clarin from 6moons review
Every review falls under an umbrella of system synergy and listening preferences. My biggest qualm with the GS-1 was how it's voiced in the midrange (0.006% THD). Instrumental timbres here are not as warm as I would personally like them to be. The GS-1 seems to lack warmth in the lower mid and upper bass range. However, the sound isn't cold or sterile. The GS-1 has a smooth and even tonal balance. If anything, the GS-1 is closer to that ideal of dead-on neutrality than my Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2, which is a bit warmer in the power region. At times, I felt the mids of the GS-1 could be just a bit more pronounced especially compared to the liveliness of its highs and its boxer-like bass output. Chalk it up to personal listening preference - I prefer a more liquid, organic midrange.

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it can help you out, I read that today :

Thanks for bringing that up. Both are real close to each other, so a lot will depend on what your system is, source, cans, listening pref, etc. If I had to make the choice now under a different context I would probably go GS-1, as its a bit closer to neutral and more transparent. The inputs, gain switch, two headphone jacks, and cheaper price should also be considered if you decide to go with the GS-1

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 26
From what Ive read and heard, Ray has a 'house sound'. If that is more your speed, then you are much better off w/ one of his fine products, imho. If flat, true-to-sound stuff ala studio monitors is your thing, Headamp is probably better suited. I forget which models in the Headamp line up apply to the following statement, but it appears certain models are considered superior to others. I know the GSX is top tier and much approved, but some of the other ones are not quite as lauded, though still recomended by some.
Keep in mind the differences will probably be more subtle than the differences between Grado vs Sennheiser, etc.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 26
Killercrush: Yeah I read that recently as well when looking at reviews of the GS-1.

There don't seem to be as many reviews of the HR-2 though, it is just not as popular or are the owners of such products just not as vocal?

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 26
If anything, I think RSA owners are probably some of the most vocal on head-fi
tongue.gif
. However, your thread has been up for a grand total of about three hours, and it's night time, so you may have to wait a *little* bit longer before the posts come in
smily_headphones1.gif

My preference, personally, would be for the GS-1. However, I see you have the Gilmore Lite with the DPS. Both are dynalos (at least currently), and I haven't noticed a big difference in sound between them. That may change if/when new modules arrive for the GS-1 (its description notes that it has upgradeable modules), I don't know.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 26
Yeah. There are a few threads out there regarding the GS-1 modules due for release sometime this year I believe. As for the RSA owners part, I was referring more to HR-2 owners than to RSA owners as a whole. It just seems that the rest of his product line up gets much more attention.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 26
The modules have been due to release for ages now so I would not hold your breath. I owned a GS1 with SA, and thought it extremely good. Very scalable. The better your source the better it sounds. You can really hear the character of your set up. Differences in cables were quite obvious to my ears when doing comparisons through it. Ray's amps I haven't heard.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Killercrush:...There don't seem to be as many reviews of the HR-2 though, it is just not as popular or are the owners of such products just not as vocal?

Well it has been around longer than the Apache, B52, Tomahawk, etc. My opinion: it is a testament to the quality of the product that Ray chose to add amps for IEMs (tomahawk) and super-duper amps like the B52, rather than replace or modify the HR2. I think the HR2 is good enough that it still holds its own in its price point, with amps that were released more recently from other vendors. My guess is the HR2 is not going away any time soon, and is still quite comfortable at its price point.
I have debated getting one, but have decided to hold off for an apache or maybe a b52.

I too haven't seen many reviews recently, but remember we all tend to focus on whatever is brand new and making waves.

The reviews I have read have been unanimous across the board: all positive, satisfied customers.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 26
Both are quality amps made by well known amp builders, which support their products. So the quality of either should not be an issue. Not being a fan of the G-lite sound myself, I would probably not move up to the GS1, I would most likely opt for the HR2. I just prefer the RSA house sound more. Other considerations might be "user features" inputs, outputs, pre-amp cabinet styling etc. If possible, the best thing would be for you to try both at a meet, so you can see/hear them both for yourself.

- augustwest

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 26
Considering from hornet m and g lite, I'll find other models at the same price range.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 26
i don't think you could go wrong with either -- both are absolutely great units.

if you had to characterize (i think others put it well) -- both are considered neutral, but the gs-1 leans toward the analytical side, the hr-2 leans toward the warmer side.

the gs-1 can function as a pre-amp, so that's a nice plus. on the other hand, there's probably no more professional person out there than ray.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 26
Since you already have the G-Lite I'd give the HR-2 a go... should sound great with you HD650's and you can always return it if it's not what you're looking for.

Actually I'd spend the $$ on a source upgrade since you already have some nice cans and a nice amp. For your budget you could grab a Stello DA100 or maybe an Apogee mini-DAC. You'd probably get more for your money out of a source upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back