RSA Balanced Portable Connector and Amp
Mar 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #16 of 34
guys, slow down and actuallty think about what you are saying, even if they are shorting together, only the copper coloured one of course which is all you mentioned the first time. but yeah evebn if they are, you cannot short ground to ground, but now in a balanced cable it would just mean that the L and R channel inverse polarity is shared, so there would be phase errors if anything. but if all the strands are like this, it is 100% that it is enameled wire.

shielding is actually quite useful if done properly, which is rare, but absolutely I wouldnt bother with an IEM cable and certainly not a balanced one, as CMNR (common mode noise rejection) gets rid of it all, well not all, but any meaningful amount

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #17 of 34
I managed to re-terminate a stock HD 650 cable last night. At first I thought it would be impossible for me given the pins -- those things are tiny -- but I eventually got focused on it...

For the record it is possible to clamp both insulated strands of the Senn cable inside connector. Actually makes for a very secure fit.

Burning in the Protector and brand-new HD 650s now...

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 34
Hey guys I need some help with the balance male connector. I was playing with the emtpy connector and trying to see how the two halves fit together. I accidentally snapped the two pieces together without really meant to and it closes tight. Does anyone know if I could separate them again? or will I have to break it? It's no big deal, it's only $2.50 but I like to reopen it if I could. Thanks.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 34
I moved this thread from the Portables forum to the Cables one.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 34
It's pretty difficult, but if you slide a pair of tweezers in between the two housings at the back (near the cable entry), you can disengage the clips and pry them apart.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 34
Thanks, I'll try.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, slow down and actuallty think about what you are saying, even if they are shorting together, only the copper coloured one of course which is all you mentioned the first time. but yeah evebn if they are, you cannot short ground to ground, but now in a balanced cable it would just mean that the L and R channel inverse polarity is shared, so there would be phase errors if anything. but if all the strands are like this, it is 100% that it is enameled wire.

shielding is actually quite useful if done properly, which is rare, but absolutely I wouldnt bother with an IEM cable and certainly not a balanced one, as CMNR (common mode noise rejection) gets rid of it all, well not all, but any meaningful amount

I've used the term "shielding" inappropriately. All I meant by it was the actual covering for the bare wire.

I've never heard of "enameled" wire before. Time to Google.

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #23 of 34
Anybody have any suggestions for a suitable cable for IEMs... I ordered some cable and plugs from redco for making a Protector to 4-pin XLR adapter, but I wasn't really sure which (if any) of their wires would be light and flexible enough for IEMs.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #24 of 34
I wonder what wire is used for the TWag (sp?) cables. They look to be silver and thin. So my guess would be one of the thinnest, most pure silver wire you can find would probably work.

You might even be able to do a search and find out exactly what wires are used for them. Unless it's some proprietary wiring, you should be able to get the same stuff.

You might even try giving redco or even mouser a call and talk with one of their customer service folks.

Good luck. And if you find something that you like, please let us know.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #25 of 34
The TWag wire is a special wire that cryoparts, lee, only lets craig at whiplash use. Its a stranded continuously cast silver wire that is cryo treated. Everyone can buy the SCSCag though, which is the solid core.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what wire is used for the TWag (sp?) cables. They look to be silver and thin. So my guess would be one of the thinnest, most pure silver wire you can find would probably work.

You might even be able to do a search and find out exactly what wires are used for them. Unless it's some proprietary wiring, you should be able to get the same stuff.

You might even try giving redco or even mouser a call and talk with one of their customer service folks.

Good luck. And if you find something that you like, please let us know.

Yeah, I'm thinking about giving Redco a call tomorrow and see what they say. I'm not paying $5.80 for foot a of single conductor copper wire... I don't care about the fancy crystal structures and cryo-treatment.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #27 of 34
Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to purchase some quality silver wiring to make my own IEM wires? It'd be great if it's one of those single-core silver wires with like, a bunch of 9's in its purity.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #29 of 34
Home Grown Audio just might be perfect.

Thanks for the information.

Here's another question: If I'm unable to get to the IEM itself with the new wire (use the CK10's just for an example), would it even be worth replacing the cable with new wire if I still have to use a few inches nearest the IEM as a stock cable?

It sort of seems like whatever benefit there might have been would be lost there.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Home Grown Audio just might be perfect.

Thanks for the information.

Here's another question: If I'm unable to get to the IEM itself with the new wire (use the CK10's just for an example), would it even be worth replacing the cable with new wire if I still have to use a few inches nearest the IEM as a stock cable?

It sort of seems like whatever benefit there might have been would be lost there.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Solid core silver might be prohibitively stiff for IEM's. Perhaps a very fine gauge might work, but the 24awg I have experienced (both Homegrown and some OCC silver I hand fed through teflon tubing) was quite stiff. It was ok for some HD650 cables, but not sure about IEM's. My suggestion is to strip some Mogami W2893 that you can get for under $0.70 from Redco. It has nice high purity stranded oxygen free copper in crosslinked polyethelene at 26awg. Perfect size for headphones or IEM's. Doublehelixcables sells a stranded cryo'd OCC copper for $2.50 a foot which is a treat to work with as well.

As for whether or not it is worth it, there is no answer. For some, absolutely, for others, hell no. That is the nature of cables. To me, it doesn't make too much sense to spend a lot of money on a recable if you can't go from connector to driver. If you did still opt for the recable, it shouldn't sound worse than stock and you may still get some change in sound, but make sure you reinforce whatever splice you make very well since this is a portable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back