RSA Apache Impressions (with nice pic)
Sep 21, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #61 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh..if you read further back in the 'manufacturer comment' section, there is a pretty passionate rebuttal by Ayre
wink.gif

I just got to the manufacturers comments. Mr. Hansen's comments are quite extreme compared to the commentary by JA and Robert Harley. It will be interesting to see if JA responds to Mr. Hansen's commentary. I was surprised there was no response from him.

I am not an engineer so all I can do is determine whether I like Ray's sound or not. Whether it was op-amp based or discrete circuits I guess I really don't care. If a different op-amp changes the sound more to my liking then that is a plus. The fact most are fairly inexpensive compared to tube rolling is a plus for the added flexibility of customizing the sound to my taste.

Thanks for pointing out the response as it's interesting to see different viewpoints.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #62 of 405
Hansen's comments are fascinating.............I advise folks to read them.

Sep 23, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #63 of 405
Vcoheda, congrats! This is the first I've seen this thread. Just on looks alone, the Apache is a winner. Throw in the name and the RS rep, and I'm about ready to squeeze the wallet. If only the squeezing would produce more than an empty squeak. Beautiful! Beautiful!

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #64 of 405
thanks. the apache really is amazing. every headphone i have tried with it sounds wonderful. this is the first time since i have started this hobby that i am completely satisfied with my headphone setup. i do not see myself needing to or wanting to upgrade for some time.

a nice feeling.

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #65 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks. the apache really is amazing. every headphone i have tried with it sounds wonderful. this is the first time since i have started this hobby that i am completely satisfied with my headphone setup. i do not see myself needing to or wanting to upgrade for some time.

a nice feeling.

How much of a difference can you notice using the single ended vs. balanced? My balanced cable is still not here so I can't determine. I listened to my Raptor some last evening and I would say both the Stealth and Raptor are pretty close in single ended to the Apache.

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #66 of 405
Quote:

the bass on the HD650 really is the some of the deepest i have ever heard. there was so much weight and texture to the music with no trace of the famous sennheiser veil.

And with you RS-1 ?
blink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #67 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of a difference can you notice using the single ended vs. balanced? My balanced cable is still not here so I can't determine. I listened to my Raptor some last evening and I would say both the Stealth and Raptor are pretty close in single ended to the Apache.

the difference is noticeable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And with you RS-1 ?
blink.gif
rs1smile.gif

they sound good but i listen mostly with my SR325 because it is balanced. i may sell my RS1 or reterminate it to XLR.

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #68 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hansen's comments are fascinating.............I advise folks to read them.

My National Semiconductor LME49710NA came in late last week. I just finished installing them after talking with Ray as it had been sometime since I installed chips. With Ray's instructions, they installed without a hitch.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49710.html

The price of these chips is hard to believe. They are $3.20 each from DigiKey.

Ray suggested giving them about 100 hours before doing any serious listening.

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #69 of 405
Quote:

.. this is the first time since i have started this hobby that i am completely satisfied with my headphone setup. i do not see myself needing to or wanting to upgrade for some time.

a nice feeling.

Uhoh....
plainface.gif

It may be a terrific amp but we can't have that, can we?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #70 of 405
Audio Addict,

100 hours from now we will expect a full report on the new chips.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #71 of 405
Ctemkin , how do you think your ue's sound with the apache?

Im really thinking about biting the bullet and buying a apache, i really want my final (well i hope) amp to be solid state.

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #72 of 405
Noobzor,

I think that the UEs sound great with the Apache. I probably listen to classical music the majority of the time, but also to jazz, blues, and classic rock. There is incredible resolution, and the instruments sound very natural. Also, to hear any hum or hissing noise, I have to turn the gain on the Apache far higher than the loudest level at which I could possibly listen to a source, so the Apache has essentially no background sound whatsoever.

I have a pair of Senn 600s, and I have ordered but am still waiting for balanced cables for them. Single-ended, the Senns do not sound to me nearly as good as the UEs. I have been keeping my eyes out here and in the headphone section for comparisons between the UEs and well-regarded cans, but I have not come across very many of them. It seems that by and large people use IEMs with portable sources and amps, and cans with stationary sources and amps, so there are not a lot of people who actually use UEs with the Apache or comparable amps. I have also been looking at comparisons of UE-10s with UE-11s, but here again the reviewers are typically not using the Apache or comparable amps, so it is hard to know whether UE-11s would be better or worse for me.

I feel as if I am probably in the same (happy) boat as vcoheda, in that it is not clear what would be an upgrade.

Ctemkin

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #73 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Addict,

100 hours from now we will expect a full report on the new chips.

I have to go out of town this week so I will leave everything running. I do know that even after a few hours I think I will like this new chip. The soundstage just seems wider. I was listening to the Best of Diana Krall and the piano just sounded even better than with the LT1028. I wouldn't wait for me as at $12.80 plus shipping for a set of 4 from DigiKey, how can you go wrong with trying them.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #74 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the UEs sound great with the Apache ... it is not clear what would be an upgrade.

Ctemkin

I really dig the idea of an Apache based IEM rig. Seems like massive overkill, which of course is just barley enough in the world of headfi
icon10.gif

I will be getting my ear impressions soon, hopefully within the next week. I have a Tomahawk coming to me, which will be great for portable situations. It will be my home rig as well, though I am debating adding the Apache for the IEMs, as it seems it likely take out any bottleneck of having an amp for the IEMs. I have also heard the UEs like millet amps, and am debating that as well, though at its price point, it seems too similar to the tomahawk. Anywho, I am probably getting both the UE10 and UE11 at the same time (!!!), but if I decide to be rational, than just one or the other.

I guess the main thing I am wondering about the Apache is if it performs better in its medium or high gain settings than the low gain setting. In other words, does it have a sweet spot, and if using a different setting renders having an amp of this caliber useless with the option of Ray's smaller amps.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #75 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the main thing I am wondering about the Apache is if it performs better in its medium or high gain settings than the low gain setting. In other words, does it have a sweet spot, and if using a different setting renders having an amp of this caliber useless with the option of Ray's smaller amps.

this is what ray had to say about the different gains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The three gains offer a great advantage in the Apache, as they control the level of the signal that is coming into the amp and precisely matches it with the needed output to control either the power amp or the level needed to control the variable headphones impedances and their level of outputs.

Using a low gain, that of two can be very useful to your sensitive IEMs. If you happen to have those custom, expensive phones, now you can use them with the Apache at home besides for portable use. With the Apache, you can now custom wire your expensive IEMs with a balanced cable and listen to them for the first time in balanced mode.

The gain of six is great with all sources that have high output signals and also with those CDs that have high level encoded signals. At the same time it is great when the amp is used in the balanced mode. This mode usually outputs a higher signal level than single ended. This gain is helpful for those who listen with low volumes using high impedance headphones.

The high gain of eleven is useful when your source happens to have a low signal levels. This will boost the signal to the desired level, making it easy to select the right control over the volume between those hard to find clicks of the attenuators. Some power amps need higher gain signals from pre-amps to drive them efficiently. This will help in this situation.

i have experimented with the gain settings and prefer medium gain for all of my headphones (SE or Bal), except for my grados. for my RS1 and SR325 i like low gain. i don't own any IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back