RS2s get grattle???? What!?
May 7, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I was listening to my beautiful RS2s when all of a sudden my left driver developed a little rattle. I alleviated this by blowing a quick burst of air at the drivers. How can Grado allow this to happen on a 500 dollar pair of headphones? This is a KSC75 type issue, not an audiophile can problem!
Also, I noticed that the hot glue they use to attach the cable to the driver housing is completely unstuck so it doesnt really do much except I guess prevent one from ripping the cable directly out of the driver.
Bad Grado! Bad!

So what should I do? Send it back?
Is this "normal"?

May 7, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 26
Possibly something against the driver... Dust buster the b*stard, from the screen side too
smily_headphones1.gif

Still rattle and you're sure it isn't from your source by switching RCAs then by all means it goes back. Just because it costs a fist full of Franklins doesn't mean its unbreakable or cannot develop its manufacturing defect upon break in
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck~

May 7, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still rattle and you're sure it isn't from your source by switching RCAs then by all means it goes back. Just because it costs a fist full of Franklins doesn't mean its unbreakable or cannot develop its manufacturing defect upon break in
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck~

Now you know just as well as I do what his point is. I NEVER see people complain about problems like this with other expensive headphones. Only grado.

But hey, its probably a coincidence
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 26
Never had the problem with my HD650's. Better sell the RS-2's and buy some 650's. Oh, just to help out I will give you an ok price for your 2's, just so you won't feel so bad. :^)

May 7, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 26
This is a Grado problem, and it's the worst problem Grado headphones have IMHO. It's because the cloth layer on the front of the drivers are so sparse, it's very easy for hair to get in. When this happened to my GS1000 only 2 days after i got then i was fuming.

My solution was to put a layer of pantyhose held down by the pads. It's worked for a month so far - no grattle yet. So far so happy. But I think perhaps we should write an open letter to Grado letting them know how bad the problem is and how easily it can be fixed. It really is not right for such expensive headphone to be so easily ruined by a problem that Grado should have anticipated in their very first model.

May 7, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never had the problem with my HD650's. Better sell the RS-2's and buy some 650's. Oh, just to help out I will give you an ok price for your 2's, just so you won't feel so bad. :^)

EVERYBODY's a Joker
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah...Those Senns are bulletproof, unless you search for their problems using the search box here
wink.gif

But hey, that too can happen with any electrical instrument...

smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 26
I run into plenty of people stiff as a board and joke not. Yeah, anything can have problems. They did let me down for a while in China as one side just quiit working. I tried my after market cables and again the stock ones and nothing worked. They about 3 months or more later I took them out of my travel bagged and tried them again and wham, they worked. They have worked fine since but I have no idea what the problem was.

May 7, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 26
Yeah but I never had the problem with SR225s, hmmm. Whatever its not happening right now, but I hope it doesnt mean itll fail sooner than later.
Yeah, my HD650s never have any sorts of these kind of problems. But I guess everything has its fair share of problems.

May 7, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cut your hair. that's the best way to go. reduce the possibility of hair getting in
smily_headphones1.gif

Or grow it longer
wink.gif

May 7, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 26
Wear a hair net. Grado hair net. Maybe they will start selling them with the headphones?

May 7, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 26
The thing is I dont think it was a hair tho. I didnt see no hair but I blew on the drivers and it was better. The 60s did this to me back in the day but not the 225s...

May 7, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 26
I think it is just a damn bad luck. Sorry to hear that man... Try to communicate with Grado and see what will happened. I think they will fix for free, just tell them what you told us. Good luck
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is I dont think it was a hair tho. I didnt see no hair but I blew on the drivers and it was better. The 60s did this to me back in the day but not the 225s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back