wink.gif

That was a massive bump..

And for unlimited budget, RS1

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
You could settle this for me by saying on which headphone guitars sound better
wink.gif

Alessandro line of Grados are aimed for guitar musicians...
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 29
If I were you I would definitely take a look at RS2 as well. Order them both SR225 and RS2 and you will see, RS2 will bit them without a doubt.
However SR225 will do very good for the money. RS1 are great, but do not have tight, deep bass impact like RS2 does.
I had both of them and ended with RS2.

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
RS1 are great, but do not have tight, deep bass impact like RS2 does..

blink.gif
uhh..what amp was feeding your RS-1, I have owned both the RS-1/2 several times each..and the bass response and impact on the S-1 is equally as tight and deep as the S-2...in my experience.
Was using the MLno39,EMP,RS-1/2, and the MLno39/Rotel 971,Melos Sha1 gold,RS-1/2 (at the time was running an Apogee DAC and a BM1)...

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 29
At the time wasn't the tube one. I have listen RS1 trough Firestone Encore and Beyond. Also was used some DAC, don't remember which one. That was at mini-meet. CD player was NAD. We compared SR225 and RS1 at the meet and they were pretty close one to another. RS1 was more refined and detailed. However SR225 with LIBERATORS were nothing but GREAT. You can live with them for a long time without taking a single look at RS1.
Don't get me wrong, I loved RS1. But after I have got the RS2 with Tube amp, I was really surprised how great they sound. They seems to be brighter, having more impact and bass as well, IMO.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I owned SR225 and RS2 at the same time, not RS1/RS2.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
blink.gif
uhh..what amp was feeding your RS-1, I have owned both the RS-1/2 several times each..and the bass response and impact on the S-1 is equally as tight and deep as the S-2...in my experience.
Was using the MLno39,EMP,RS-1/2, and the MLno39/Rotel 971,Melos Sha1 gold,RS-1/2 (at the time was running an Apogee DAC and a BM1)...

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 29
Go for the 225s.

Then when they get old get the RS-1s.

Then when they get old try the GS-1000s.

John designed these and has a reason for the rankings. Everyone is just throwing their tastes out there which may not be yours. I currently own the 225, RS-1, and GS-1000. They DO get technically better despite what some might want to think, but you may not prefer the most technically proficient Grado. By the way, they are all colored just like every other headphone, but that means nothing if you enjoy the sound.
wink.gif

If you like the in your face/aggressive presentation then stop at the RS-1. The PS-1 is more of a lush presentation. The HP-1,2 is about as close to neutral as you're going to get <--- but both of those will cost you a pretty penny.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #24 of 29
Thanks for getting "mini-meet" off your thread
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Go for the 225s.

Then when they get old get the RS-1s.

Then when they get old try the GS-1000s.

John designed these and has a reason for the rankings. Everyone is just throwing their tastes out there which may not be yours. I currently own the 225, RS-1, and GS-1000. They DO get technically better despite what some might want to think, but you may not prefer the most technically proficient Grado. By the way, they are all colored just like every other headphone, but that means nothing if you enjoy the sound.
wink.gif

If you like the in your face/aggressive presentation then stop at the RS-1. The PS-1 is more of a lush presentation. The HP-1,2 is about as close to neutral as you're going to get <--- but both of those will cost you a pretty penny.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for getting "mini-meet" off your thread
wink.gif

NP - ha ha man you guys are quick.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

At the time wasn't the tube one. I have listen RS1 trough Firestone Encore and Beyond. Also was used some DAC, don't remember which one. That was at mini-meet. CD player was NAD. We compared SR225 and RS1 at the meet and they were pretty close one to another. RS1 was more refined and detailed. However SR225 with LIBERATORS were nothing but GREAT. You can live with them for a long time without taking a single look at RS1.
Don't get me wrong, I loved RS1. But after I have got the RS2 with Tube amp, I was really surprised how great they sound. They seems to be brighter, having more impact and bass as well, IMO.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I owned SR225 and RS2 at the same time, not RS1/RS2.
wink.gif

whoops, sorry about that, good information nonetheless!! I need to go home and listen to music
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #27 of 29
I own both have have spent time with the 325i and the RS-2 as well. If cost is not a big issue, I'd go straight for the RS-1 and never look back.

The 225 is a great headphone, but you will get more from a RS-1 or RS-2. The only one in that lineup that I don't like is the 325i.

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 29
Ive owned the SR225 and currently own the RS-1. Let me just say that the SR225's are awesome for the price...very close to the RS-1 IMO. They have a tad more bass impact but lesser quality highs and lesser quality and quantity in the mids. If you want to hear guitars and vocals sounding their best get the RS-1. They beat the 225 in that department hands down. Plus...they're more sexy. I would say that you could definitely start off with the RS-1's and never look back.

Nov 16, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
In my opinion the entire Alessandro line is very weird. It gives you a beyer-like sound on a Grado headphone, this really bothers me. The MS-2s are the only ones I've tried for very long times from the Alessandro family (I've done the MS-1's as well but for a shorter time period) and I actually thought they were better than the SR325s, but still not better than the SR225s. The only Grado headphones that can beat the SR225s, in my opinion, are the RS-1s and the PS-1s. All else just costs more and gives you a more colored sound with the sacrifice of less bass impact and midrange groove (not to mention very shrill highs - this goes for the MS-2 and MS-Pros, and the SR325s), and then you can also pay less and get a fraction of the SR225s. I am in agreeal that the SR225s are the "sweet" spot for the Grado line. If you really appreciate the sound quality of the SR225s, however, the RS-1s are REALLY nice. And I like them a lot too. The sound is perfect for the type of listening a Grado fan would want: Fast, exciting, and really groovy - great bass impact and very balanced highs (may be a bit rolled off for some, however - bass depth also lacks, so this isn't very good for classical music).

Hope this helps.

I agree with this assessment. The MS-2's are one of head-fi's favourite child's...and I don't question that they're very good...I owned a pair. But they're not really Grado's anymore. They have similar characteristics, obviously, but if you're after a rock can, I think you're better staying within the Grado line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back