RS1's or SR225's
Dec 2, 2004 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I've spent a little while with my knew Beyer Dt770's and while they definitely do somethings well (soundstaging, instrument seperation, Bass), I find myself longing for my SR80's still. I just can't get over the mid range and vocals that the grado's had. The bass of the Dt770's didn't really do anything for me. Another big suprise to me, was that I have thus far found the Grado's to be much more comfortable, don't ask me how that happened, it's just that the beyer's have too much pressure on the top of my head.. So I guess I am now a member of team Grado.

Onto the real question. Given my appreciation of the SR80's, I would like to move up the Grado line. The RS1's seem attractive to me but have recieved mixed reviews. The SR225's on the other hand, seem to get respect for what they do from a great deal more people. I was also planning on sending the SR225's over to headphile for a recable and woody's should I choose them. So is the extra money on the RS1 going to leave me unhappy?

Also: Another option is the SR200's with HP1000 driver's on Headphile's webpage, would those be the better option?

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 29
I don't see how you could be unhappy with the RS-1's. I had a pair aa few years back and ended up keeping my Senn HD600's because I liked the soundstage better, but the Grado's sounded fantastic. I drove them with the RA-1 amp, which I would also recommend with these cans. The combo is expensive, but really nice. Very powerful dynamics and cool looking to boot! If you're a Grodo fan, the RS-1's are the ticket. (IMO, of course).

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 29
I've been up and down the Grado line, and started with the SR80, just like you.

I'd recommend not buying anything you can't return without a restocking fee, and not modifying anything until you love the headphone already.

The SR225 is less colored than the RS-1, and more tonally balanced. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your tolerance for and enjoyment of coloration/neutrality.

My advise...audition, audtion, audition.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 29
While I love the rs-1's it is not to everyone's taste. I think the reason why people don't like it is the soundstage issue and the colouration it adds to the music. I actually like the colouration it adds to music personally. But then again I love the 225's equally as much. Why don't you try the 225's first and see how it goes. Also see if you can find someone to lend the rs-1's for a few nights so you can see what the fuss is about and whether they are for you or not.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 29
I would start with the SR225, and consider buying the RS-1 used if you don't like the 225. You wouldn't have any real risk that way (such as paying $625 or what have you versus $400 for a used RS-1).

Depends on your budget, I suppose.

Dec 2, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 29
I think you should consider the MS-2's. Many here have stated that the 225's, are the sweet spot in the Grado line-up, I think they are wrong. That title should go to the MS-2. I currently have the MS-2's, and recently sold off my 225's. I can tell you from a side by side A/B comparsion that the MS-2's offer significant value for the money, both soundwise & in build construction. I have spent considerable time with a friends RS-1, and wouldn't want to trade it for the MS-2's.

When I purchased the MS-2's, I asked if there was any sort of trial period, since they aren't available to audition anywhere. I was told they offer a one week trial period to insure satisfaction. If you find an interest in the MS-2's, enough to give them a try, you might ask if this audition period is still valid.

- augustwest

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 29
In my opinion the entire Alessandro line is very weird. It gives you a beyer-like sound on a Grado headphone, this really bothers me. The MS-2s are the only ones I've tried for very long times from the Alessandro family (I've done the MS-1's as well but for a shorter time period) and I actually thought they were better than the SR325s, but still not better than the SR225s. The only Grado headphones that can beat the SR225s, in my opinion, are the RS-1s and the PS-1s. All else just costs more and gives you a more colored sound with the sacrifice of less bass impact and midrange groove (not to mention very shrill highs - this goes for the MS-2 and MS-Pros, and the SR325s), and then you can also pay less and get a fraction of the SR225s. I am in agreeal that the SR225s are the "sweet" spot for the Grado line. If you really appreciate the sound quality of the SR225s, however, the RS-1s are REALLY nice. And I like them a lot too. The sound is perfect for the type of listening a Grado fan would want: Fast, exciting, and really groovy - great bass impact and very balanced highs (may be a bit rolled off for some, however - bass depth also lacks, so this isn't very good for classical music).

Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 29
why not try the sr200 with hp1000 drivers? i have the regular sr200 and love them - the hp1000 drivers are supposed to sound even better. and, their resale value is very good.

Dec 2, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 29
I'd take the 225s over the RS-1s without any doubt. I think they are obviously better headphones, despite being a fraction of the price. As others have said, the RS-1s are very coloured, so it is question of taste - only get the RS-1s if you have heard them and like them (or are hearing-impaired). I wouldn't even bother re-cabling the 225s - leave them alone, they sound great as they are. Get the 225s, and save the money you would have spent on the RS-1s and re-cabling and buy some more music. Then you will be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 29
The 225s sure are fantastic headphones, but RS1 are definitely better. That is, if one's not looking for neutrality etc. - I guess that's in the HP1000 area. I mean, if RS1 are coloured, they are coloured exactly according to my taste.
rs1smile.gif

As for price / performance ratio, the 225 is the winner, of course.

Dec 2, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 29
yes, the rs1 is colored, but i agree with greenhorn that it's a good coloring...i love its large midrange...vocals sound absolutely amazing on the rs1. i only sold mine because i didn't listen to them all that often. try a used pair and see for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back