RS1 with 1st Gen Shuffle
May 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fatmaneatschild

500+ Head-Fier
For those with experience in this combination, I was wondering: The RS1 is known for their harsh highs( using bowls) with certain recordings and the 1g shuffle I believe is known to have subdued highs. Do you feel that this is a good combination which curbs the RS1's harshness while still retaining the fun sound signature?

May 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 10
I'd kind of doubt it. Tried 1st gen. Shuffle with Klipsch Images and it's way too bright. Usually use those shuffles w/ de-podded iM716/Shure /Shure Softflex and works well enough for me. Considering the addition of RS-1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I have 2x 1st gen. Shuffles - one jazz vocals, and one loaded with Symphonies.........nice combos when traveling lite on a bus..............sanf yeah, use Grado/Alessandro MS Pro w/flats at home off of tube amp.

May 25, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah- I have both but would never think to use them together. Seems a bit mismatched. My RS-1 do not leave my desk, but thats me. I also do not find the RS-1s that harsh. I love Grados in all forms so I am obviously biased, but the RS-1 is undoubtedly the most tamed and balanced of the Grados I have owned.

May 25, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah- I have both but would never think to use them together. Seems a bit mismatched. My RS-1 do not leave my desk, but thats me. I also do not find the RS-1s that harsh. I love Grados in all forms so I am obviously biased, but the RS-1 is undoubtedly the most tamed and balanced of the Grados I have owned.

Why would you think they are mismatched? Let me know what you think if you would try that combo out sometime.

May 25, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 10
How is it not a mismatch?

A shuffle costs ~50 dollars and is meant to be used on the go for short spurts, or even better while working out. Meant to be paired with iems or mid-fi portable headphones.

An RS1 is an expensive, top of the line, open style headphone meant to be used with a quality source/amp. It's not meant to be used on the go / outside.

May 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 10
I am very liberal when it comes to portable pairings such as this. I've even tried the huge k701 with the tiny iaudio 7 and it was fine. On sound quality alone, it seems like the shuffle is a perfect pairing to the rs1. Could you give it a quick test and give me your opinion please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I consider the shuffle very portable and the RS1, well not. It just seems like an odd pairing. Why not use an IEM or at least a HP under the $300 mark?

May 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 10
my shuffles highs are slightly more subdued than the ones on my "classic" ipod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back