RS1 or HD650?
Aug 13, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 63
I love the sound of the 650 for Jazz/Classical music. I also find them good for other genres although so many people feel that they're too laid back for rock - I find the sound very balanced. On some rock recordings, I feel that the bass could be heavier but checking the CD's with others, it's the recording that has bass missing, not the headphones. They're just reporting what's on the CD in the first place. Changing to better recorded CD's produces a gut wretching bass if it's there. Have a listen to the Senns - they are a very good headphone.
600smile.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #32 of 63
This thread proves once again that headphones are an entirely subjective matter. Just go out and buy both and choose one that's right for you! You know you wanna...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Honestly, the hd650/zu does alot of things right technically but unless you are a sound engineer or enjoy very laid back music, who needs this dull presentation anyway?
At the end of the day, I think it comes down to whether you want to analyse the music critically, or just kick back and have some fun with the music. And I'm sorry to say this, but the only emotion the hd650's tickled for me was "man..how can this sound so boring" emotions!
redface.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #33 of 63
I may sound fanboyish, but the HD650 may not be overly fun like the grado, but it isn't boring. People are going way too far in using that word, and even though it may not be colored or fast enough for some of you guys, saying you'll fall asleep or something is just too much honestly. Noobs are gonna assume the only reason get senns for classical or to take a nap. Insinuating that the HD650 isn't for people who wanna kick back and listen to music is pure bs. A lot of us do enjoy and find it fun, so please don't stereotype it like that.

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #35 of 63
Great post, I am glad you asked this, because you listen to the almost exact music that I do. I am seriously considering the RS-1's as my next purchase, as I heard so many great reviews here at head-fi. Besides the praise I see for there awesome sound, I think they are just flat out gorgeous!!! seing as to what most headfiers are telling you, I hope you get these cans, and let me know your impressions. Good luck!!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
A lot of us do enjoy and find it fun, so please don't stereotype it like that.

Excellent, and I hope you continue enjoying the Senn's. Like I said all I'm doing is giving my subjective views and experiences. I'm sure a lot of you guys beg to differ, and some of you will agree. That's the beauty of it.
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #37 of 63
I agree with Kirosia. I don't get where the HD-650's get labeled as boring in every post. They are far from boring..I think that they have a very "polite" sound that doesn't offend. They are very smooth, refined, and have mids like no other..not boring to me at all, even with my modest little setup.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 63
This is getting funny. I am kind of getting tired of it, actually. HD650s boring. Sheesh. I guess I could say that some people don't understand refinement, but I won't. As I sit here, I have a friend's SR225s, my HD650s and my HD595s. Don't get me wrong, I like the SR225s, but they ain't 650s. There's a whole lot missing from them that I never really knew before. They sound a bit thin. But, then again, they do bring you closer to the music. I don't get as lost in the music as I do with 650s. The 650s have that wow factor, sometimes they sound so good, so realistic, so lifelike it's unreal.
But I would still recommend the RS1s over the 650s purely for rock. They're a bit faster and way more forward.
Just don't bash my 650s. It's wearing a bit thin like......

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
Excellent, and I hope you continue enjoying the Senn's. Like I said all I'm doing is giving my subjective views and experiences. I'm sure a lot of you guys beg to differ, and some of you will agree. That's the beauty of it.
icon10.gif

ah, but when you came out with:

Quote:

I think it comes down to whether you want to analyse the music critically, or just kick back and have some fun with the music

That was just pushing it. Bold statement, but just not true. You were going past your opinions and just generalizing/stereotyping. Not your particular taste, I understand. And I've had both the rs1 and HD650, so I'm not trying to come off biased. I can do critical listening with grados and have mindless fun with senns.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
As I sit here, I have a friend's SR225s, my HD650s and my HD595s. Don't get me wrong, I like the SR225s, but they ain't 650s. There's a whole lot missing from them that I never really knew before. They sound a bit thin. But, then again, they do bring you closer to the music.

Now don't lie, do you have bowl pads on the 225's? If you do that can explain a lot. Also, as with anything, pairing a Grado with an appropriate amp will bring the very best out of them, they need current. Same goes for an HD650, they need voltage and will shine with a good tube amp big time. I could see how the the HD650 would perform better than the 225 with an MPX3.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
This is getting funny. I am kind of getting tired of it, actually. HD650s boring. Sheesh. I guess I could say that some people don't understand refinement, but I won't. As I sit here, I have a friend's SR225s, my HD650s and my HD595s. Don't get me wrong, I like the SR225s, but they ain't 650s. There's a whole lot missing from them that I never really knew before. They sound a bit thin. But, then again, they do bring you closer to the music. I don't get as lost in the music as I do with 650s. The 650s have that wow factor, sometimes they sound so good, so realistic, so lifelike it's unreal.

I'm not saying the hd650's are not refined. In comparison to the sr225's, there is no doubt that the senn's are definitely more refined and technically "correct".
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the way they present the music is far too laid back for fast genres of music, in COMPARISON to the grado's.

Aug 14, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the way they present the music is far too laid back for rock in COMPARISON to the grado's.

Almost anything sounds laidback compared to grados.
tongue.gif

Yes compared to grados the senns appear more laidback, but the phones themselves can hold their own for rock (and other "fast" music). Grados just do it, for some but not others, more enjoyably. And vice versa. The stigma with rock always has been fast, hard, and earth-shattering. Grados have that rep. But Senns can pull out ahead sometimes . . .

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Its like an automated response
icon10.gif

No, I think Ken, like me, is just interested in just drinking up headphone knowledge. I know from another forum that he's quite knowledgeable about loudspeakers. I'm with him, these two phones interest me a lot and I find a thread about the differences between them to be good reading, especially first-hand opinions.

Aug 14, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the way they present the music is far too laid back for fast genres of music, in COMPARISON to the grado's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Yes compared to grados the senns appear more laidback, but the phones themselves can hold their own for rock (and other "fast" music). Grados just do it, for some but not others, more enjoyably. And vice versa. The stigma with rock always has been fast, hard, and earth-shattering. Grados have that rep. But Senns can pull out ahead sometimes . . .

I agree with both of you here to a point.
Just an aside, as my 19 year old son walked by I had him try the 225s. His usual cans are DT440s, he wears them constantly. After he took off the grados he said, "it seems like the middle part would hurt your ears after awhile." I thought he meant the mids. He meant the actual driver casing.

Aug 14, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurck
No, I think Ken, like me, is just interested in just drinking up headphone knowledge. I know from another forum that he's quite knowledgeable about loudspeakers. I'm with him, these two phones interest me a lot and I find a thread about the differences between them to be good reading, especially first-hand opinions.

Hi Gurck

In Relation to Ken, how can a discussion be good after only four posts, surely the discussion is only starting at this early stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back