RS1 or HD650?
Aug 13, 2005 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the mood for my first open headphone and could use some help. Some background first on what I listen to.. linkin park, system of a down, NIN, staind, godsmack, evanescence, blindspott (nz rock band), occasionally poking my head in teenie-bopper stuff (
tongue.gif
) such as avril lavigne, eminem, and various top-40 stuff.

Amp will be SR71 and/or Larocco PR max v2 (have the sr71 right now, PR is in mail).

I love bass, tight, impactful, lots of it. Between RS1 or a recabled (and which cable would you recommend) HD650 which would you recommend, if even either of those? You can see the closed cans I own in my sig and generally enjoy them all except want something with more bass than the K271s.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 63
damn this is a hard one. I've had both phones, and I do listen to some rock. I'd personally say the rs1 w/ flat pads. But, checking your profile I only see porta-sources, and IMO either would probably be overkill. Eh, it's your money.

I actually prefer the HD650 stock for rock, but in my setup it lacks some aggression. Some people feed off that (I do once in awhile), so the rs1 which is a really fast and colored phone would be a better choice especially for pop n rock. And better out of a portable than the senn I think. Although maybe the sr325i would do you better, dunno.

Aug 13, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 63
I say the RS1s only because you say rock. When I think rock I think RS1 (Grado) when I hear classical I think Senn 650. IMHO you should go with the RS1s. I think you will be happier. I think the Senns will be too veiled and laid back for what you want to listen to. If you are listening to everything from rock to classical then it comes down to whether you want a "colored" sound or not, and I can't answer that for you.

Aug 13, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 63
I totally agree, the sound with the Senn's was not up front, it was laid back and somewhat boring and slow with rock (I used the Cardas cable this might have quite a bit to do with it). I got my HD650 last week and have sent them back already, I plan to get a pair of RS-1 or PS-1's in the coming weeks. Please remember this is my opinion of the Senn's and yours may differ, however they are good value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPodphile
I say the RS1s only because you say rock. When I think rock I think RS1 (Grado) when I hear classical I think Senn 650. IMHO you should go with the RS1s. I think you will be happier. I think the Senns will be too veiled and laid back for what you want to listen to. If you are listening to everything from rock to classical then it comes down to whether you want a "colored" sound or not, and I can't answer that for you.

Aug 13, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 63
Linkin Park: My December, In The End

Evanescence: Going Under

Avril Lavigne: Losing Grip, I'm With You

The above songs sound better with the RS-1 than the AD2000 or DT880 in my setup. I like these 3 headphones more than the HD650.

The instruments in "Losing Grip" sound especially amazing. I feel 10 years younger listening with the RS-1.
biggrin.gif

And ken36, you've gotta be kidding here. There's only been 5 posts including yours; that's not a good discussion yet.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Good discussion.

Its like an automated response
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Its like an automated response
icon10.gif

LOL...you could be right!
rolleyes.gif

No doubt about this one...rs-1's without a doubt. Senn's are far too laid back to rock.

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 63
I think it all depends upon your setup and finally what you really enjoy hearing (coloration etc). I recabled my 650's with my own silver cable that I have made for years (hyper pure silver wire and teflon tubing) and I do not fine the 650's veiled or unexciting. But I guess you are looking for the sound out of the box and for that I have no comment on the two headphones except for my experience with the 650's after recabling, which cleaned any small problems of clarity, transparency etc, right up.

John

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 63
I used the HD650 with the cardas cable with an EMP, I found the HD650 boring and unexciting, sorry but thats my opinion.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 63
I've also heard a hd650/Zu Mobius and I nearly fell asleep listening to Metallica.
tongue.gif

Senn's are too mellow, veiled and unexciting in comparison to the grado's...Again that's just my experience.

Aug 13, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 63
I had the hd650 with zu cable and thought it sounded pretty good for rock music when turned up except for punk and some fast stuff. I always had the nagging feeling of what the Grados sounded like and thought I'd get a pair of SR225 but ended up with the RS-1 because of the better soundstage and airiness to them. After a day with the RS-1, I sold the hd650/zu the next day and never regretted it. My alt music collection never sounded better.

Oh, the SR-71 works pretty good with the RS-1 but may not be the best. My PPA w/Larocco diamond buffer sounds much better. I'm curious to see what RA-1 sounds like with them.

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 63
Do a search for them! There's a lot of divided opinions on the rs-1/ra-1 combo and I think the only way to find out is to try it yourself. That being said, my ra-1 is due to arrive soon...I'll give you my views once I've heard it.
wink.gif

Which opamps are you using in your PPA?

Aug 13, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
Do a search for them! There's a lot of divided opinions on the rs-1/ra-1 combo and I think the only way to find out is to try it yourself. That being said, my ra-1 is due to arrive soon...I'll give you my views once I've heard it.
wink.gif

Which opamps are you using in your PPA?

I'm using opa627 across the board. It has the most natural sound too it with deep impactful bass. The 637 were more detailed but miss some of the bass. I also tried them lt1028 & lt1122. The lt1028 has a unique sound that's fun for awhile but just doesn't sound exactly right. It has the most air, space, and decay. I haven't tried ad1086 since one of the pins broke. I always thought it was overly analytical with other phones so I don't think I'm missing anything.

The 627 sounds perfect to me so that's why I'm wondering if the RA-1 could actually sound better. I've seen them used for a little over $200 so it's not too much of an investment and I could always sell my PPA. Let me know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back