RS1 left channel buzzing, worth sending to Grado?
Apr 12, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #32 of 44
Any other methods that doesn't result in a aesthetic damage on the headphone?
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #33 of 44
Thats very true, Mercuttio, and I`m expecting to pay with one of my kidnies if they accept to repair them. Still wondering if I can get hold of a driver from them tho, so I can do it myself. I`ll find out when they`re opening up after easter, I guess.

And yeah, they look a mess near the wood and the driver. But seriously, Ill take some pics when I glue them together and with the bowl on you won`t notice. Im not really the kind of person that gives a crap about how the inside of a phone looks like if it works ... hehe. Maybe not a great advertising-trick, but hey. I care about sound, pretty much. And I don`t think I have ruined the sound. If so, I`ll notice and report back and tell you guys never EVER to do this (ever.) Until then, it was fun and games, but I need a new driver
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other methods that doesn't result in a aesthetic damage on the headphone?
frown.gif

I heard once about a Head-Fi'er who had gotten into his RS1 for a recable without any damage. I think it involved light heating to melt the glue just enough and very careful clamping with soft pads to separate slowly.

It's a really dangerous operation though. Grado is the only place that actually does this perfectly every time, as far as I know.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats very true, Mercuttio, and I`m expecting to pay with one of my kidnies if they accept to repair them. Still wondering if I can get hold of a driver from them tho, so I can do it myself. I`ll find out when they`re opening up after easter, I guess.

You could always check with Larry, but I don't know what his deal with this stuff is nowadays. I think he is always looking for RS1 drivers to turn into "Vixens" or whatever crazy name he's devised for his strange creatures, so I dunno if he'd give up any no matter the cost. Call Grado on Monday, and just be super nice about it.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Grado is the only place that actually does this perfectly every time, as far as I know

Sure they don't destroy them in the process getting to the driver, and just put use new cups? Not as if they're made out of gold..

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #37 of 44
And well, about documenting, I`ve already attached some pictures.
When / IF I ever get another driver, I`ll document the fixing and the "putting-it-back-together-without-it-sounding-like-death-itself." Obviously because I couldn`t find any other pictures / good info ON this topic. About prying apart a pair of RS1s, YEAH you`re going to kill off some wood. Unfortunate, but true. But I live by the rule about having to break some chickens make an omelet, and I guess I live by it even when I`m playing with Grados.

Feel free to request pictures, by the way. Got a request for the backside of the driver. Will get around to that tomorrow.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure they don't destroy them in the process getting to the driver, and just put use new cups? Not as if they're made out of gold..

There have been a few cases where someone has sent back a vintage RS1 and had it return with the same cups (the fonts are different, the woods match, etc). The process seems so trouble free that they don't have difficulty returning the same cups.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #39 of 44
Got some new phots in case you guys want to see the backside of a really old RS1-element.

IMG_1419.jpg

Also a pic of the butchering of the wood. It`s not too bad in my opinion, and can`t be seen once I glue the driver in again and put the pad back on.

IMG_1422.jpg

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #40 of 44
Latest update : Shipped my RS1s to Grado a few hours ago.
Shipping something from Norway to USA is a whole bunch of paperwork, apparently. But, after half an hour in the post-office I got it done.

Grado charges $100 to repair Grado phones after warranty is out. In that price, shipping back is covered as well. So now I just have to wait and see (and hope I don`t get a mail stating they want more because I opened up one of the elements myself and made a mess out of everything.)

And now we`re off to listen to some AD-H5000 for a brief soundcheck before I order up my 7000s. I`m assuming they sound pretty much the same (obviously not 100% the same, or I`d buy the considerably cheaper 5000s...) but enough for me to decide about if I like the general sound of them or not.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Latest update : Shipped my RS1s to Grado a few hours ago.
Shipping something from Norway to USA is a whole bunch of paperwork, apparently. But, after half an hour in the post-office I got it done.

Grado charges $100 to repair Grado phones after warranty is out. In that price, shipping back is covered as well. So now I just have to wait and see (and hope I don`t get a mail stating they want more because I opened up one of the elements myself and made a mess out of everything.)

And now we`re off to listen to some AD-H5000 for a brief soundcheck before I order up my 7000s. I`m assuming they sound pretty much the same (obviously not 100% the same, or I`d buy the considerably cheaper 5000s...) but enough for me to decide about if I like the general sound of them or not.

A hundred bucks? I'd say that's a very reasonable repair charge.

Great to know if I ever damage my Grados.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #42 of 44
I expect Grado will set you up well, and you'll only be out your one way shipping and $100. Looking at your RS-1 pics, it looks like a semi vintage to me (same as mine).

FYI, there are some old threads here that describe how to properly disassemble an RS-1. It's not the easiest Grado...but doable. Also, some outfits such as Drew at Moon Audio will provide a cable changeout/upgrade.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #43 of 44
To Brighten : I agree. $100 USD to fix my driver (drivers if they replace both, who knows about sound-balacing?) is well worth it. I kind of regret opening up my RS1`s. Not because I really care about the edge on the phones, I can`t see that anyways with pads on, but because I fear Grado may have some extra work on their hands (even though it should be less ...)

And to Wolfen68 : Nice tip about recabling! I took order for the Denon AH-D7000 today with the clever trickery of a friend working in a store selling them. Let`s just say the monthly sum is quite low. So now I guess I have two fantastic headphones on my way.

The shipping out from Norway was smooth, but expensive. It ended up costing me about $60, but hey, it`s Norway .. everything is extremely expensive.

And about this thread, I guess it`s a good proof that some Grado rattle can not be fixed by yourself, so send the phones to Grado if the huff-and-puff-trick doesn`t work. I just had to take a look inside, being both curious and stupid. And as said, the scrapes in a place I never bother to look doesn`t bother me one bit. I`ll just be happy to have them back sounding the way they`re supposed to. Wonder how long it`ll take.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #44 of 44
I just sent my SR225s in for a second repair (first time for the left side, this time the right) with the grattle and although they were out of warranty this time they fixed them for free. I inquired about it over the phone and they said just send them in with a note. Now maybe this was b/c they are $200 cans (hell for a $100 fix I may aswell go for the 225is) and I'm not what they would have said if I had the RS2s or up. Maybe also becuase yours are vintage and/or you opened them up?

Whatever the case, I'm really hesitant about upgrading to the RS2is (which I've been strongly considering) after I damaged these twice. I mean I don't abuse them, but now with heavy sessions of house or drum n bass or even metal I've resorted to my DJ cans
triportsad.gif
What's interesting is this time they replaced the entire cable; I now no longer need the mini adapter, but instead the 1/4" now pops onto the 1/8 instead of the other way around. It's definitely not the upgraded cable. The screen is also new on the left side and I wonder if they touched that driver..maybe I have the 225i drivers
L3000.gif
..(yeah right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back