RS1 left channel buzzing, worth sending to Grado?
Apr 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #17 of 44
QQQ : Basically, a new used pair of RS1`s could be option 1. Option 2 is getting something withouth the "highs" shrieking of the RS1`s. They`re fantastic for some kind of music, but strikes me as lacking some punch and having horribly high "high`s" for some music. So yeah, I`ve been pondering lately if they`re even "right" for me. It all depends tho, I can see a scenario where shipping + labor + parts would easily go over 500 usd. If so, I`m not really sure it`s "worth it" any more.

Right now me and a friend are trying to open them up tho. I`m going to write a clever and hopefully not too depressing guide about how to rip open your RS1`s in anger and find that DAMN hair that has survived everything I`ve thrown at it for quite some time.

Anyone wanna buy a wrecked pair of RS1`s?
biggrin.gif

Magic update!

Me and a friend opend the Grados just now. What amazed us both was the ... well ... rather cheap feeling and looks of the element. It took some tampering to get it open, and in the process we managed to snap the wires connected, so the element is dead anyways. What became apparent was that on THREE different sides on the element, the plastic element was bent inwards. We`ve been able to get out everything that was inside (dirt and hair), but soldering the two tiniest cables EVER IN THE HUMAN HISTORY OF EVERYTHING.

So basically, we`ve most likely destroyed the element if my friend isnt the best in the world to solder tiny cables. Whats also apparent is that changing the element / driver-plastic-thingie isn`t that hard. I just need another driver, basically. Wonder if I can get it from Grado in the US or from some other place.

Will Grado sell me another driver? The quest for glory (and sound) will go on. Stay tuned and I hope this is vaguely interesting for some...
Going to edit later with some pictures as well for those curious.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #18 of 44
Some pictures from the process :

IMG_1395.jpg

note the dents on the element ...

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

Anyone know how old these are supposed to be? Vintage or semi-vintage? No serials written on them or any other id, really. Strange?

IMG_1352.jpg

Open open...

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

EF-1 + Dacmagic + Custom cables + NO GOD DAMN PHONES ...
angry_face.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 44
Wow, drivers look completely like SR 225's and SR 60\80's from the exterior...
Can you post come pics of the backside of the driver?
BTW, when i disassembled the SR 225 the drivers had these dents too. Looks like on hard bass notes the diaphragm touches the outer plastic grill..this is how these dents arrive. I bet a lot of Grado owners have these dents there too, they just don't know about them
smily_headphones1.gif
They are not always influence the sound though, i guess it depends on the placement.
You can easily get rid of them though.. you need some sticky tape, just not stick too big piece of it.

Also, there're some black stuff on the diaphragm, looks like marks of some spray paint...but how they got there...

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 44
I suspect the black stuff is remains from the old flats. They were kind of .. uh .. rotten and sort of sticking to the headphone. Just never really noticed it until I changed for bowls.

Just let me know what / if you want pics of anything inside. I didn`t take pictures of the back, but it was generally just a layer of something black and sticky, with two air-holes in a circle in the middle a bit higher / standing out from the rest of the driver. Alot of blackness would be my answer.

Now the question is, will Grado sell me a replacement driver? Will this driver semi-match what I`ve got in my right phone, or will I go cross-eyed? What strikes me is that it`s pretty easy to swap one driver for another, so if I can get another rs-1 driver I should be good. I just have some sort of fear for Grado not being willing to sell me. Damn this easter and the busines-delay...

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #21 of 44
Have you put them back together and tried them? You can pull out the dents carefully with sticky tape or blutack. They should pop back into shape easily
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's likely either the dents or remains of the old pads are causing the rattle.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #23 of 44
That pair of RS1 looks pretty old. Most likely semi-vintage. Anyway if you want to clean off that foam gunk try some lighter fluid. I cleaned mine with that. The stupid pads seem to stick with the wood's lacquer or something, I keep having to take them off every week or so to make sure they don't stick and disintegrate.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 44
This is pretty interesting. At extremely loud and low frequencies (far more than I can listen at) I still have a very slight rattle in my right cup. I actually don't think the rattle is associated with the driver at all. It seems to be related to the mesh in the driver being slightly loose at those low frequencies.

Your RS1 has several interesting hallmarks. The cups are definitely true Vintage RS1, and the buttons have that nice old font with the tails on the letters. The drivers are white and look more recent, but that could be part of the age process... most Vintage drivers are pink.

I do think you should have left them in one piece, I seriously doubt Grado's going to help with repairs now that you've cracked them open.

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #27 of 44
Well, my plan is to check if I can get another RS1-driver to switch with, and send the old one back if needed as proof that I actually own a pair of RS1s. Don`t know why Grado wouldn`t repair them tho, just because I`ve opened them. Less work for Grado in my opinion. Would there be any reason for them not wanting to fix them? I assume I`m "allowed" to do whatever stupidity I want with my own phones. Hmmm. Maybe not? Don`t really know.

Weighing in my options, I guess. Going to check out a pair of Denons 5000 and 7000s to see if they`ll suit my lust for a bit more bass and a bit less highs.

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my plan is to check if I can get another RS1-driver to switch with, and send the old one back if needed as proof that I actually own a pair of RS1s. Don`t know why Grado wouldn`t repair them tho, just because I`ve opened them. Less work for Grado in my opinion. Would there be any reason for them not wanting to fix them? I assume I`m "allowed" to do whatever stupidity I want with my own phones. Hmmm. Maybe not? Don`t really know.

Weighing in my options, I guess. Going to check out a pair of Denons 5000 and 7000s to see if they`ll suit my lust for a bit more bass and a bit less highs.

Well, the thing is that Grado doesn't have to warranty and may refuse repair on any pair of headphones that they deem damaged by the end user. I'm also relatively certain that they open their cups an entirely different method, but I don't know.

Regardless, you've damaged the housing and you should check with Grado with a phone call as to whether they'll be willing to perform a repair or not. You're certainly allowed to modify the product as an end user as long as it is for your own use, but that sort of absolves Grado from any repair obligations.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargtass /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Opening it up voids any warranty, they are not obliged to repair it free of charge. Any repairs will be chargable, plus labour and cost sorting out your bodge job.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 44
Holy crap! How did you manage pry that thing open?! By the way, did you leave any dent marks from prying? How long did it take you to pry? Does this prying method from front side works with the MS1 and other Grassandro variants? Any more pictures? Yadda-yadda..

I need to know because I'm thinking of prying my MS1000 to repair the stupid grattle myself!

Edit: Don't forget to "document" this, nobody has a tutorial on opening up the Grados. You'll be the first!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back