RS-2's vs. 325i's
Jun 8, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
We've all seen lots of good photos of SR-325i, but not many of us have seen any good shots of the RS-2,

Anybody like to post some good ones of the RS-2?

I'm not sure is these good, but here for you few photos.

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
...I haven't even heard sibilance from them (yet, hopefully not)...

Sibilance and overall brightness aren't always the same thing. K701 had unbearable sibilance but overall it wasn't so bright headphone at all.

Jun 8, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sture
I'm not sure is these good, but here for you few photos.

They are great photos. Thank you very much!

They show just what I was looking for!

Jun 8, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4563

RS2 V 225
Very similar sound.

blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

imho

Jun 8, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #35 of 70
I also considered the RS-2s too, but here is a small list of why I decided to go for the RS-1 instead.

1. Considering that the RS-1 comes with an extension cord and 1/4 to 1/8 adapter included, the price difference between the RS1 and RS2 narrows down even further when you consider that you might buy those again anyway.
2. Because of this, I think upgraditis would relapse fairly quickly and I'll have to go though the process of sell/buy again.

The SR80 was my first introduction to this hobby and I've been a Grado fan since having gone through the AKG 271s and return back to Alessandro MS2s which btw, I didn't like much as a stand alone headphone, but absolutely adored with an RSA SR71 amp. I now have the Beyer DT770, but I think its time to get an RS-1. I listen to alot of instrument based music and bassy lounge or hiphop, and I think Grados fit this preference pretty well. I'll always prefer a private underground rock, jazz, lounge or rap basement to a private, empty concert hall which is the AKG and Sennheiser IMO.

But yeah, everyone has their preference and I think the fact that amplification changes a huge chunk of a headphone's sound presents some further complication as well. An RS1 + tube amp will sound better than a stand alone GS1000 at the same cost you know...

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I also considered the RS-2s too, but here is a small list of why I decided to go for the RS-1 instead.

1. Considering that the RS-1 comes with an extension cord and 1/4 to 1/8 adapter included, the price difference between the RS1 and RS2 narrows down even further when you consider that you might buy those again anyway.
2. Because of this, I think upgraditis would relapse fairly quickly and I'll have to go though the process of sell/buy again.

The SR80 was my first introduction to this hobby and I've been a Grado fan since having gone through the AKG 271s and return back to Alessandro MS2s which btw, I didn't like much as a stand alone headphone, but absolutely adored with an RSA SR71 amp. I now have the Beyer DT770, but I think its time to get an RS-1. I listen to alot of instrument based music and bassy lounge or hiphop, and I think Grados fit this preference pretty well. I'll always prefer a private underground rock, jazz, lounge or rap basement to a private, empty concert hall which is the AKG and Sennheiser IMO.

But yeah, everyone has their preference and I think the fact that amplification changes a huge chunk of a headphone's sound presents some further complication as well. An RS1 + tube amp will sound better than a stand alone GS1000 at the same cost you know...

I agree with the price difference between the RS-1 and RS-2 being a real consideration considering all the extra good stuff. While the RS-1s aren't all that much more than RS-2, it's still a bit out of my price range considering the phones intended use.

My cans are actually my "second system" with my speakers being the primary.

My Ms-1s are a good match to the speakers, so I'm looking for something comfortable and not too heavy.(although the call is about 50/50 in the forum here as to whether the MS2i ARE too heavy.) But for $200 more than the MS2i(Which the Wife thinks is ALREADY out of budget!)I can get lighter cans and a nifty leather headband with a real pad!

And they ARE woodies!!
rs1smile.gif

I've also read as many past posts as I can wrap my eyeballs around to try to get a handle on the difference in sound characteristics between the RS-2 and the RS-1(and the MS2i)and I get the impression that the RS-2 has the sound presentation more suited to my needs!

So unless I go gaga over GS, upgraditus should be pretty well defeated!

My primary headphone listening source already has a very good phone output stage, so an amp is not absolutely required at this point. If I purchased RS-1 or MS-Pro, an amp would be an absolute necessity, or I'd feel I were cheating the cans!!

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

imho

Hey, my opinion only. Two superb headphones none the less...
icon10.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #38 of 70
While Sture published some beautifull photos of RS-2s. I do have an additional request.

Uh...does anyone have any photos of RS-2s with those pretty yellow Senns HD414 pads?

......I use them with my MS-1s and kind of thought I'd like them on my potential RS-2s as well!

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #39 of 70
Pete, congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I feel that the RS-1 isn't necessarily an upgrade over the RS-2. I know there are people like me who just prefers the sound of the RS-2 over the RS-1. It's up to the listener to decide. It's probably like the hd600 vs hd650.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I feel that the RS-1 isn't necessarily an upgrade over the RS-2. I know there are people like me who just prefers the sound of the RS-2 over the RS-1. It's up to the listener to decide. It's probably like the hd600 vs hd650.

It isn't. While RS-1 has wider soundstage and more refined and smooth sound, RS-2 has more aggressive and slightly brighter sound with the "in-your-face" effect. RS-2 has more Grado-like sound. It's just a matter of personal preferences. I know at least two people who preferred RS-2 over RS-1.
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
It isn't. While RS-1 has wider soundstage and more refined and smooth sound, RS-2 has more aggressive and slightly brighter sound with the "in-your-face" effect. RS-2 has more Grado-like sound. It's just a matter of personal preferences. I know at least two people who preferred RS-2 over RS-1.
tongue.gif

It's interesting about the "in yer face" effect!

My MS-1s are a fair amount more foreward sounding than are my speakers, but yet when listening to phones I prefer the more foreward presentation. It just makes the music seem more "intimate" than the more natural presentation that I get, and prefer, while listening to speakers.

My speakers put me in the first, maybe second row. But the cans put me right on stage with the performers.

I like that!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Pete, congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Just received them about 20 minutes ago. I know they've got about 4 1/2 days to burn-in, but right out of the box they're an absolute joy to listen to. I tried them with bowls first, and right off the bat I found the sound more enjoyable than 325i's with flats. Full and warm midrange, tighter,deeper more impactful bass, clarity is improved, and the highs sound not as overemphasized. With regard to comfort, it's hardly even noticeable they're on your head compared to 325i. Very light.
Can't wait until they are fully burned-in, but out of the box I'm enjoying them quite a bit.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #43 of 70
Curse you mildly Pete7, for you placed the wrong address on the order.
blink.gif

The package missed my house by nearly 1200 miles.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4563
Glad your're enjoying them straight out the box as much as I am Pete7....Is that really the burn in times for these cans?

No, it's just my burn-in time for any new set of cans. I usually give them about 100 hours continuos and listen in whenever I feel like. Burn-in isn't a universal belief, and length of time varies amongst it's practicing believers. I gotta say, these really sound pretty nice right from the get-go. The sound really strikes a nice balance, for me. Very non-fatiguing and most Grado's have fatigued me to differing degrees, but I've had these on my noggin for 2 hours and not a sign yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back