RS-2's vs. 325i's
Jun 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I've used the search engine to research the RS-2's extensively, but all I've come across in comparison to the 325i is that they are 'similar' sounding. I enjoy the 325i sound, but I'm curious as to whether or not previous or current owners of both would consider the RS-2's an upgrade; and maybe expand on the differences between the two.

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 70
I thought the RS-2 were regarded as closer to the SR225s with more bass. With the RS-1s being more refined.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 70
I'm bumping this as I really want to hear from some experience here,if possible...cough!

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 70
I've heard both and owned the rs-2. They do not sound similar. The RS-2 has more bass/slam and treble roll-off. It's ideal for me. The 325i is too bright for me. So they are totally different beasts. I guess it's like comparing a e4c with a er4p. I'll take the RS-2 over any other grado any day.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I've heard both and owned the rs-2. They do not sound similar. The RS-2 has more bass/slam and treble roll-off. It's ideal for me. The 325i is too bright for me. So they are totally different beasts. I guess it's like comparing a e4c with a er4p. I'll take the RS-2 over any other grado any day.

Do you use flats or bowls? I ask because I use flats, I think the sound is fuller. Although I don't find the highs of the 325i too harsh, I wouldn't mind a little more slam. I guess the treble is a bit smoother then, more HF-1ish? I've been on a quest for my perfect Grado the last year, with a slight Senn/Sony detour. MS-1>HF-1>RS-1>CD3K>HD650>325i.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 70
For me, that means buying it. But it looks like the only way to satisfy my curiosity. For some reason, the GS-1000 doesn't interest me that much. Blasphemy! The RS-1's had a bigger soundstage, but I didn't really like them, and they fatigued my ears to hell. I guess I like the more 'in your face' presentation. Thanks for the input.

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 70
A lot of people say the RS-2 is inferior to the RS-1 because it's $200 cheaper. A lot of people have never even listened to the RS-2. To me they are completely different. I prefer headphones with a slightly more rolled-off high. My ears can't take it. And if that saves me $200, then i guess i'm lucky.
tongue.gif

The only way to know is to listen.

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 70
How do the rs2's compare to the ms2's. I am curious since I may be purchasing an ms2 in the near future.

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 70
Having heard and owned (and even returned some of these headphones) these are my own opinions which I hope will help you.

RS2 V 225
Very similar sound. However, the RS2's treble is definately smoother and less sibilent than the 225's which is what I was after. Also a touch more bass in the RS2's but the 225's is still good and controlled. Without a doubt, to me, the 225's offer the best bang for the buck in the Grado line up. Superb sounding but at times a little too harsh in the upper end. The RS2 cured this for me. That's why I had to buy them regardless of them costing 200+ dollars more. The mahogany cups are comfy and look great too. (225's still look and feel nicer than lower siblings)

MS2's
I found the 225's to have a better, punchier "In Yer Face" sound than the MS2's. It's THE rock Headphone! The MS2's were more laid back but again had a smoother treble and upper end which wasn't so fatiguing. Again, I found the sound was very similar to the RS2's...Very nice. What I didn't care for was the weight of the aluminium chambers though. They kept slipping off my head whenever I moved my head and you could always sense they were on your head. In the end they had to go back.

In conclusion...You don't get a lot for your money when you upgrade in small stages ie 225 - RS2...but there IS a subtle difference in sound and in my opinion worth it to get the sound your'e after. If you havn't got the cash to throw around (and not all of us do) then the 225 is THE phone to get if you like Rock. If you can put up with a little harshness in the top end then you'll be rewarded with one hell of a fantastic headphone...
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 70
It's threads like this that I hate. Here I am, finally feeling content with my SR225s after missing out on the HF-1, and I see this thread about the RS-2 which makes it sound so damn good. Ugh, I guess the RS-2 is my next upgrade destination...

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 70
I have owned the RS-2's/1's and the 225's/325's/325i's...
no need to repeat what others have said..
just wanted to add that if you mean to select from the Reference line between the Prestige line, I would opt for the RS-1 hands down.
Only, try and audition a pair of RS-2's first...as they (to my ears) bear a closer likeness to the 325's than their bigger bro the RS-1..
The RS-1 and the SR-225 have a much closer sig sonically than do the RS-2's VS the RS-1's..
Actually, the SR-225 is probably the closest sounding can to the RS-1 IMO..and is the best value overall.

The refined sound and sparkling highs, as well as the increased headstaging, are only part of the reason I rec the RS-1...The biggest factor for me and for some is the materials utilized in the production of the RS-1 Headphone..the inter related components and cup holders are made of metal instead of plastic, and there are basically more quality parts used in the RS-1 which is nice.

I have never heard the MS2i's but own the MS-1's and used to own the MSPro's, and can tell you from those two sets, that they are sweeet. More of a neutral presentation, with much less emphasis to tibre and midrange on the Aless phones...but just as fast, responsive, and capable with Rock...

The cymbals/percussion on the metal grados contain much realism, but not as balanced in terms of the rest of the song, and its respective volume, meaning that the sounds in the lower register are there, but leaves my head ringing more than the plastic or wood Grados do..

The metal Grados are all awesome to my ears/eyes, especially the older Joe cans... but the 325's/325i's are a bit much in the upper registers for my taste...plus, the fatigue factor and comfort level of the 325's/i's, and any of the metal Grado monsters really, are something of an acquired taste...as they weigh heavy on the dome and need to be "adjusted" more on the head, maybe not a caveat for some.

Conclusion: the price for the RS-1's when you are looking is down to $550 or close for brand new, used for less..so is already around $150 cheaper than they used to be, something to factor in maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back