RS-2 impresses
Jun 9, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new toy.

I certainly hope the RS-2s sound better than the other phones you listed. Other than the HF-1s (and to a lesser extent, the SR-225s), the other phones listed aren't even close to being in the same league as the RS-2s. At least IMHO.

And yes, I've owned or heard all of the phones listed except for the E2s.

thanks - and I agree with your comments - just that people talk about diminishing returns as you move up the ladder and I wouldn't say they've diminished much at the RS-2 level...which pleased me.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 67
I went through a similar search for headphones (SR-80, SR-225, K340, DT770, K340 again, K81DJ) until I got the RS-2's. And yes, they absolutely rule. I probably will never get rid of them even if I get some higher end headphones. Definitely have left me satisfied for about a year, and I don't see upgraditist hitting me anytime soon (well, my purchase of some UE-5c's might have had something to do with that).

So in summary, RS-2's are amazing.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 67
RS-2 really is a great hp. Was your price of $390 . new?If so, great price. At any rate enjoy them
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all of these headphones and you STILL don't have an amp?

get on that pronto!

I wanted to have a headphone that warranted it...also, my sony d250 powers the headphones with ease - at 2.5 out of 10 volume level it's louder than I like - makes me wonder if I really need an amp. I had a pa2v2 for a short period and noticed no difference at all.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-2 really is a great hp. Was your price of $390 . new?If so, great price. At any rate enjoy them
biggrin.gif

$390 used...

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghingus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to have a headphone that warranted it...also, my sony d250 powers the headphones with ease - at 2.5 out of 10 volume level it's louder than I like - makes me wonder if I really need an amp. I had a pa2v2 for a short period and noticed no difference at all.

well its not just about driving them really loud. it's about giving them enough current and finding the right amp that has great synergy.

If you heard grados through a mapletree or a singlepower, you'd know what im talking about
smily_headphones1.gif

plus, the pa2v2 is a pretty low end amp. a good starter but you don't really hear dramatic differences until you get into the 200 dollar range IMO

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how the RS-2 sounds with flats? I want to try out different sounds/pads on my new favorite headphone.

BigSurSpoon - I find that RS-2s (or any Grado I've owned, for that matter) sound great with flats at low volumes. Even though the music is very quiet (so as not to disturb my sleeping wife), it still sounds full with reasonable bass impact and warmth. At regular volumes it depends on the album whether I prefer flats or bowls. Any cd that is brighter sounds better with flats. With darker albums or albums with more bass you can use bowls. I've mentioned it before, but I love how you can switch the pads on Grados to fit the sound you need.

Being higher up the line from my other Grados, the RS-2 reduces the downsides of flats (can be muddy) or bowls (can be bright) since it is all around more refined. Still some albums really require one or the other, and some albums sound good in different ways with both. I'm enjoying going through my collection and determining which sound better with which.

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_the_King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I ever upgrade my cans, I've decided they will be RS-2s [this thread helped me confirm that]. I have a feeling that time won't come for a long while, though. btw, I love your avatar ghingus ; )

Thanks!

If you do upgrade to the RS-2 - see if you can overlap having the SR225 at the same time - it would be interesting to listen to them both side by side.

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #29 of 67
RS-2 is a great headphone. I regret that I had to sell it, but I just had to upgrade my speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back