RS-1's Solid State or Tube Amps
Apr 9, 2006 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bobbyk

100+ Head-Fier
Thought it would be interesting to see whether most RS-1 owners opt for SS or tube amplification.

Why not give details of your headphone system to help new owners with set up options.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 25
tubes for me
biggrin.gif
Although I like my pimeta, with a mild OPamp.

Technics CD Deck => 24V Millet hybrid with Rayethon 12FK7s. I set bias voltage at 12V, and dont notice a difference with higher voltages. cables are generic $15 from frys.

Garrett

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 25
Undecided, but I really enjoy my Dynahi with the RS-1.

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 25
Tubes here too, even if they are a pain sometimes to mantain and have more costs involved, they make the RS-1's sing.
rs1smile.gif
Although I haven't tried a decent solid state amp but I'm very happy with the PPX3 SLAM
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyk
Thought it would be interesting to see whether most RS-1 owners opt for SS or tube amplification.

Why not give details of your headphone system to help new owners with set up options.
rs1smile.gif

I generally use a emp a.e with the rs-1's. But for the live accoustic stuff I would take the emp over it.

I have tried the rs-1's with SS. I just prefer the tube sound with it. I am not a tube fanboy per se as there are other headphones that I prefer with SS amplification.

With the Rs-1's I have tried:rsa raptor, sugden headmaster, graham slee solo, wna, earmax, earmax pro, emp a.e, rudistor rp5 ref, melos sha 1 (carlo modded), grace 901 and a few other more that I can;t remember at the moment.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 25
Having heard many Grado's with tubes I must admit that they were made for each other. Unfortunately, I only have SS amps for mine.
frown.gif

If anyone wants to donate a Melos to a poor tubeless headfier, please pm me.
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Having heard many Grado's with tubes I must admit that they were made for each other. Unfortunately, I only have SS amps for mine.
frown.gif

If anyone wants to donate a Melos to a poor tubeless headfier, please pm me.
frown.gif

A melos? They drive most headphones pretty well besides the pre-concieved opinion it is for the hp-series.

I have used the melos to drive anything I could lay my hands on rs-1's, ps-1's, qualia 010, sa5k, sony r-10's etc.

What SS amp are you using?

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 25
Ive only got a SS amp which i initially matched with the Sennheisers. Switched to the RS-1 and now I crave a nice tube amp. Definitely my next purchase.
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgnome
Ive only got a SS amp which i initially matched with the Sennheisers. Switched to the RS-1 and now I crave a nice tube amp. Definitely my next purchase.
icon10.gif

I would suggest you try to audition one first. Not everyone can stomach the Rs-1+tube amps. It might be that you still prefer SS amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back