RS-1's + cpads my story with pics
Aug 16, 2006 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

randyruiz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,
I just wanted to share an experience that I had with Headphile and the C-Pads I bought for my RS-1. I bought the RS-1's as a complement to my HD650's. When I first put them on I was a little shocked with how energetic they were. The are very engaging but this is not the creamy smooth presentation of my 650's this was a high resolution sparkle high energy goodness. I loved the sound but they sounded a bit 2 dimensional and upclose. The RS-1's would put you on stage with the musicians but sometimes it felt like a small stage and I wanted them to spread out a bit. The Senn's have great sound stage and it makes me feel like I am in a concert hall but the presentation, although perfect and I mean that, also sounds so polite. The RS-1's have a big short coming (IMHO) with comfort which I wont get into because its been beat to death. In my opinion the open bi-directional leakiness of the bowls really took away from the experience. Ambient noise in my home office would really interfere with the music and it was nothing loud just computer and room fan noise.

Here is where Headphile comes in. I bought a pair of bowl c-pads from Larry for the RS-1's for both comfort and for a boost in sound stage as described on Larry's website. Well I should have exchanged some emails with Larry and gotten his opinion first because I was disappointed with the C-Pads. The C-Pads delivered in comfort my RS's were the equal of my 650's (which are really comfy) and they looked great. I think they look more attractive than stock RS's. The problem was the upper registers, they were completely out of focus. So much so that my wife asked me if I broke the drivers when she first listened to them. They really killed all that was good with the RS's too me. No more sparkle and this annoying focus problem coupled with bloated bass.

I emailed Larry about this and he told me that his preference was the ported c-pads flats. Larry then, without me asking, offered to replace the bowls with flats for just the cost in shipping. Let me just say something about Larry, as a business man he is a class act. He sets expectations and then meets them. When the customer is unhappy (even when its the customers fault like in my case) Larry steps up and makes it all good. I would highly recommend Larry and his excellent products.

So I get the ported c-pads flats and hook them up to my RS's. First they look really great, as I said above they are an improvement in looks over the stock RS's in my opinion. The comfort is unbelievable with the RS's so comfortable that they disappear on your head and soon the music is coming from thin air. The RS-1 sound is still there with a really really small reduction in they highs. Almost all the sparkle and resolution that the stock bowls provide but with out the sound leakiness. All the ambient noise in the room is gone when the RS's are on, It is now jet black in between the instruments and in between the notes. I find the RS's SQ is now more enjoyable and less fatiguing. The congestion I felt with the c-pad bowls is now gone (The ports do this) and they are as airy as the stock bowls. The bass is also improved and just sounds a bit fuller than with the stock bowls, Its very satisfying IMO better than stock bowl bass.

In conclusion I will just say that the c-pads flats (I think Larry has renamed them) worked well for me. I also want to send a big thank you to Larry for making my RS's comfortable enough to make them keepers for the long haul. Oh yea pictures....

cans1.JPG

cans2.JPG

cans3.JPG

Aug 16, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 23
I used to have cpads as well, but I sold them because they flared out on my head / didn't sit flush with the side of my face. How flush are yours?

Also, you might want to resize your pictures... unless you want to show off your intricate camera quality
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 23
Apparently my head is the prefect shape for this configuration because they are flush against my head. Lucky I guess. How did you like the sound of your pads?

Aug 16, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 23
Nice!!
I imagine if your head is very wide, the top of the C-pad wood could touch the metal hanger part.

how are those held in place?... is it that blue tack stuff? some kind of adhesive? can they be removed without leaving any "stuff" on the earcups?

I'm considering these myself.

Garrett

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 23
I dont have flats but I have done the reverse bowl thing and and the difference is that you trade a tiny bit of resolution and highs for a fuller mid to low feel. Sorry for the lack of audiophile vocabulary.

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 23
Its the blue tack but it dosnt leave residue, I have pulled them off qiute a bit to A/B and I had no issue with the cups finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Nice!!
I imagine if your head is very wide, the top of the C-pad wood could touch the metal hanger part.

how are those held in place?... is it that blue tack stuff? some kind of adhesive? can they be removed without leaving any "stuff" on the earcups?

I'm considering these myself.

Garrett

Aug 16, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
I used to have cpads as well, but I sold them because they flared out on my head / didn't sit flush with the side of my face. How flush are yours?

Also, you might want to resize your pictures... unless you want to show off your intricate camera quality
wink.gif

An easy fix for this is to buy the Beyer DT770 headband pad. Snap it on, and you get that clearance on the top to be able to pull the rods down lower to meet your ears, and bingo the CPads now pull clear of the black rod boxes so they can swivel flush to your ears.

Aug 16, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
An easy fix for this is to buy the Beyer DT770 headband pad. Snap it on, and you get that clearance on the top to be able to pull the rods down lower to meet your ears, and bingo the CPads now pull clear of the black rod boxes so they can swivel flush to your ears.

Jahn (or anybody else who knows the answers to my questions),

Can one buy Beyer DT770 headband pads separately, without buying the 'phones? Who sells them, and how much do they cost? Can one really simply snap the pad on a Grado headband? Anyone got pics of Grados with Beyer headband pad?

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Thanks!

Jonsku

Aug 16, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonsku
Jahn (or anybody else who knows the answers to my questions),

Can one buy Beyer DT770 headband pads separately, without buying the 'phones? Who sells them, and how much do they cost? Can one really simply snap the pad on a Grado headband? Anyone got pics of Grados with Beyer headband pad?

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Thanks!

Jonsku

Let's see-

Answer to your first question?

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...13&postcount=9

and i think this is an answer to your 2nd, but i'm not sure as i can't see pics here at work - this SHOULD be a pic of my cans with the pad snapped on.

DSC00112.JPG

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyruiz
Apparently my head is the prefect shape for this configuration because they are flush against my head. Lucky I guess. How did you like the sound of your pads?

The sound was fine. I had the ported Bubinga/Silver pads. How are the new pads? Nice and squishy? Last I checked the Beyer pads were rather stiff; not as stiff as AKG pads though, but not as soft as Sennheiser velour pads.

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 23
I have to say nice and squishy just about sums it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
The sound was fine. I had the ported Bubinga/Silver pads. How are the new pads? Nice and squishy? Last I checked the Beyer pads were rather stiff; not as stiff as AKG pads though, but not as soft as Sennheiser velour pads.

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 23
Hmm... I have mixed feelings about the c-pads. They're definitely more comfortable, but I'm not sure if the sound is better. Relative to bowls, there's more bass, but I get the feeling that the vocals become the center of attention and in some songs I wonder: "where did the guitars go?".

Have in mind, though, that the C-pads seem to require a higher volume level to sound as loud as the bowls (probably do to driver proximity differences). This means that when A/B'ing from C-pads to bowls, the bowls might tend to give the subjective impression that they sound "better" just because they're louder.

I use the c-pad flats (used to be called betas) with four ports, all open. They look similar to the OP's but have silver pads instead of black.

What do other people think of the C-Pads + RS-1's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back