RS-1's + cpads my story with pics
Aug 17, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 23
Aarrghhh.. If I were in the States right now I'd offer to trade you my C-pads + SuperMacro-IV for your Mapletree amp...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I have been reading about the C-Pads for a while now and have been able to stay away. This thread does not help, I may just have to get a set to try.

Aug 17, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 23
I just asked Larry to change my order for C-Pads, to "the exact same type as randyruiz's" for use with the RS-1.

Another Z-Flat in black will be for the Alessandro MS2i.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #18 of 23
I'm using ported C-pads with the HF1 and surprised there's not more talk of them with all the GS1000 "amazing soundstage" discussions. Besides comfort it's the first thing you notice. "Wow, Grados can have a soundstage!" I'm still curious of a GS1000 v. RS1/C-pad comparison (though I know there are other differences).

There is a trade-off. Some detail is lost and there's an almost "reverb-like" affect on the sound bouncing back off the pads. This is less pronounced than it probably sounds from my description, but is noticeable when A/Bing with bowls.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I'm using ported C-pads with the HF1 and surprised there's not more talk of them with all the GS1000 "amazing soundstage" discussions. Besides comfort it's the first thing you notice. "Wow, Grados can have a soundstage!" I'm still curious of a GS1000 v. RS1/C-pad comparison (though I know there are other differences).

There is a trade-off. Some detail is lost and there's an almost "reverb-like" affect on the sound bouncing back off the pads. This is less pronounced than it probably sounds from my description, but is noticeable when A/Bing with bowls.

Do you have the flats or the bowl version of the c-pads. Your experience is the same as mine with the bowls.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 23
Well the designs may or may not have changed a tad since I ordered mine, but I got the flat ports (second sound board with large holes - see below). I haven't ever really tested with sealing the ports.

I should mention that the "reverb" (wish I knew a more descriptive word), plays a part in the soundstage construction (as it's bouncing back). It doesn't sound unnatural and is most prominent only when A/Bing (though as always once noticed...). I've only recently experimented with spending some time back with the stock bowls again and after so long with most of my time with HD650s (sold the below woodies though) and HF1/C-pads (and the last two weeks additionally with CD3Ks), the soundstage flatness of the stock bowls is so distracting I'd easily give up the trade-offs to move back to C-pads. This would likely pass with time, but shows the differences of priorities and what bothers us (which is after all likely why we end up with whatever phones we do after experimenting around - not what they do right, but what they don't do wrong). On that note I like the C-pads because in a few ways (comfort, soundstage, smoothness) it takes Grados a step or two towards Senn territory (like some Senn aftermarket cables go the opposite direction). It's certainly a preference thing though as if you're a big Grado fan (I'm less so, but still holding out hope on the GS1Ks) the changes in spectrum (Zoide is right about vocals/midrange for instance) could be a disadvantage.

woodies.jpg

Aug 17, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #21 of 23
one note about changes in spectrum - HP2s with CPads still have that magical midrange. bass is a bit warmer, but not congested (with all ports open at least on a zeta flat port cpad). soundstage is expanded too as mentioned, but it's a really seamless transition across your head - no blobs here. highs seem to have stayed the same. all in all, it's an improvement, and not just in the comfort (which is much more comfy of course). btw, it gets even better when the DT770 pads get properly squished to conform to your head. spankin' new, the pads are a bit too firm and don't lie flush on your head. eventuall they squish to be bigger on the bottom than on the top (at least that's the way my head is shaped) and they are soft and give a nicer seal too.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading about the C-Pads for a while now and have been able to stay away. This thread does not help, I may just have to get a set to try.

Hello,

Did you try the cpads and can you tell me your findings?

Regards,
Ewan Boonstra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back