RS-1 vs. Headphile HF-1
Mar 9, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
It was a few things that led me to prefer the RS-2. The RS-1 definitely had more treble "sparkle" than the RS-2, but I wouldn't say they were fatiguing, either. I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and there was just something that didn't sound right to me in the highs... it's not that they were lacking refinement, but while all the detail was there, I just didn't care for the presentation. I also didn't care for the bass presentation, with bowls or flats. Overall I just felt the RS-2 sounded more balanced. I know for a fact that there are others who prefer the RS-1, though, so I would strongly suggest you find a way to try both and see what sounds best to you.

I have owned RS-1 and I do own RS-2 atm. I also just did some side by side comparison with RS-1 and RS-2 at my friends place.

We ended up having same thoughts. RS-1 has wider soundstage and somewhat more refined sound. It also sounds more distant than RS-2. RS-2 has more like "in your face" sound and slightly more aggressive sound. RS-2 is somewhere between HF-1 and RS-1 by its sound. It has same kind of aggressivity and punch that HF-1 has but it loses in refinement and soundstage to RS-1.

I like RS-2 very much. It gives me that classic Grado sound which I want to enjoy every now and then.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 44
Somehow I missed this! Great comparison, wolfen68! I appreciate it. Very nice.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 44
This makes getting a used RS-2 very tempting
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #34 of 44
Great comparative review!

"What the RS-1 did was show me that the HHF-1 is not perfect........but the RS-1 isn't either."

This statement is one of the truest I've read regarding Grado headphones. . . . This leads to confirm my belief that the PS1's are the closest to perfection that John Grado has created to date. While the other models excel in their own particular areas, they also have their own off-setting weak points. Which means that the ultimate road to Grado bliss will take you to the PS1 when All is said and done.

Headfi members with the resources, and I know there are many of you, I encourage you to secure whatever remaining stock you can from the German distributor before it is too late. Just look at what has happen to the market once the HF1 was sold out. With the PS1 being closest to thing to the "Perfect John Grado Headphone", you can imagine how they will grow in value, and how much you will regret not get them in the future.

- augustwest

- augustwest

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #35 of 44
AFAIK PS-1s are gone, they also go for as much as double the HHF-1/RS-1. My favorite can I've heard so far - by a long shot though. HE-90s didn't do it for me like the PS-1 did nor did a good array of other "supercans". I WILL own a pair of these!

Personally I'm really curious to hear an RS can, I did a pretty extended A/B between a HHF-1 and SR325i at the Miami meet and personally preferred the 325i by a fair margin (enough to buy a pair). Definitely similar sounding but I thought the 325 was a bit more visceral and with more bass, for the vast majority of my music the 325 seemed the better choice.

I also admit to much preffering the metal look vs wood although the pic of the ebony HHF-1 looks stunning. Not that I'd let this drive a choice but, hey putting it out there.

Of course at the original HF-1 pricing they were a darn good deal - I just wonder if for $600+ for a HHF-1 there might be cans I'd personally prefer (well, heck I do - the 325i).

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #38 of 44
I completely agree with Wolfen thoughts on these cans. We have listen and discussed these to death.

Since the RS-2’s have arrived, I for the life of me can not understand why someone would pay the current market value of an HF-1, other then playing the speculations game on the future market. At the introductory price, the HF-1 was a steal. I might go as far to say they would be worth $300. After that, it only makes sense to think RS-2 (IMO). Used RS-2‘s can be found for the same price some people are willing to pay for an HF-1.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorthon
I completely agree with Wolfen thoughts on these cans. We have listen and discussed these to death.

Since the RS-2’s have arrived, I for the life of me can not understand why someone would pay the current market value of an HF-1, other then playing the speculations game on the future market. At the introductory price, the HF-1 was a steal. I might go as far to say they would be worth $300. After that, it only makes sense to think RS-2 (IMO). Used RS-2‘s can be found for the same price some people are willing to pay for an HF-1.

Because an RS-2 isn't an HF-1. It's different. Scarcity has value. It's a different sound characteristic. And it's a statement of community. You can buy an RS2 any time you want. If you want an HF1, you need to find one and convince the owner to sell, basically. Plus, the HF1 is a great leaping off point for mods...

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #41 of 44
For the record the deep woody HHF1 with ported C-pad has the best soundstage of any production Grado I've ever heard. RS1 still wins on detail though. It's occasionally funky highs balances the less detailed by smoother HHF1. Really personal though I'd bet most would prefer the RS1.

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
For the record the deep woody HHF1 with ported C-pad has the best soundstage of any production Grado I've ever heard.

Er, except for the fact that the deep woody HHf-1 with ported C-pads can no longer be considered a production Grado. It's been heavily modified.
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #43 of 44
Bad wording on my part. Remove 'best' replace with 'better' and do the same for 'than' for 'of'. I actually meant that comment to exclude HP1000 (which I haven't heard in over a year), etc. , I didn't mean the HF1, which isn't in production with or without mods.
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #44 of 44
I don't know how I missed this thread (I haven't read it all other than the initial impressions). Wolfen, great impressions. They are very close (better written) to my impressions after comparing the HHF-1 and RS-1. The only difference is I felt the soundstage was superior on the HHF-1 but that is imo and as are any comments about sq, up to the individual. You were dead on with the bass. The bass from the HHF-1 is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back