RS-1, RS-2 or MS-2i? Can't decide.
Sep 8, 2005 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
I've kind of narrowed it down to those cans. I've got 225's right now which I like a lot but feel I can move on up to another can given my system which I've built primarily toward the Grado sound. My system is listed below but I'm also going to be acquiring a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD in a few days which will share time with my Gilmore Lite+DPS, or it will replace it, or perhaps go out the door should I prefer the Lite over it. I'll be using modified Senn pads. I listen to a mix of everything, Jazz (smooth/traditional), ambient, rock, new age, classical.

I'm guessing most would see it as a no brainer and just go for the RS-1 which I'm inclined to do. And I'd be buying used on that. I think I'm willing to do that if it is a no brainer but the RS-2 and MS-2i interest me as well. The RS-2 has gained a lot of respect recently, some even saying they prefer it to the RS-1. I've done a ton of searches on all of these cans and gather the RS-2 kind of sounds like a 325/RS-1 mix with an upfront midrange like the 225. Sounds appealing. From what I gather the MS-2i is right in there as well, not as bright as the 325 and some say sounds very much like the RS-1. Even though there is some general consensus on the sound of these cans, impressions on all of these cans just seems across the board too, it's crazy. Most will wonder why I'm even balking at the RS-1. Couple things there. One is even used it's going to be costly and then there's some negative comments about it's "ringing", odd woody coloration, strange overlapping of sounds. Others say it's the embodiment of perfection. Going by most reports it's exactly what I want. Well, the PS-1 really is what I want, but...!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it obvious what I should do?

Any arguments that I should just stick with the SR-225?

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
I've kind of narrowed it down to those cans. I've got 225's right now which I like a lot but feel I can move on up to another can given my system which I've built primarily toward the Grado sound. My system is listed below but I'm also going to be acquiring a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD in a few days which will share time with my Gilmore Lite+DPS, or it will replace it, or perhaps go out the door should I prefer the Lite over it. I'll be using modified Senn pads. I listen to a mix of everything, Jazz (smooth/traditional), ambient, rock, new age, classical.

I'm guessing most would see it as a no brainer and just go for the RS-1 which I'm inclined to do. And I'd be buying used on that. I think I'm willing to do that if it is a no brainer but the RS-2 and MS-2i interest me as well. The RS-2 has gained a lot of respect recently, some even saying they prefer it to the RS-1. I've done a ton of searches on all of these cans and gather the RS-2 kind of sounds like a 325/RS-1 mix with an upfront midrange like the 225. Sounds appealing. From what I gather the MS-2i is right in there as well, not as bright as the 325 and some say sounds very much like the RS-1. Even though there is some general consensus on the sound of these cans, impressions on all of these cans just seems across the board too, it's crazy. Most will wonder why I'm even balking at the RS-1. Couple things there. One is even used it's going to be costly and then there's some negative comments about it's "ringing", odd woody coloration, strange overlapping of sounds. Others say it's the embodiment of perfection. Going by most reports it's exactly what I want. Well, the PS-1 really is what I want, but...!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it obvious what I should do?

Any arguments that I should just stick with the SR-225?

well i would say the rs-1s.. and I think you were feeling that way anyways. Rs-2 are good. Haven't listen to them. Good reviews. Some say they are better. But Come on. You want the Rs-1s. Ms-2is I think are allittle better and different then sr 225s. This is from what I have read. I still would like to get a par to listen to. Get get a pair of rs-1s and you will at the top of the pile. I would do that. Otherwise you will always wonder. As I glance over to my Rs-1s and smile.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Sean -

I had much the same dilemma, having owned the SR225, which wore out it's welcome in short order. Bought the MS-2 & later the MS-2i, which I still own. I like the MS-2's very much, but I still wanted something more. So finally bit the bullet and sprung for the PS-1's, which is everything I could ever desire in a Grado headphone.

I guess what I am getting at, is if you really want the PS-1, you should get it, and be done with it.

- augustwest

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 11
It was the same for me. There is no getting away from it, if the PS-1 is what you want, they will call you until you give up and buy them.
evil_smiley.gif

Worth every penny (IMHO).
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 11
i would just wait for some ps-1's because you know you will get an itch to upgrade. Take me for example; i bought some rs-2's and then wanted more so than i got the hp-2's and then sold those and got some electrostatic 404's and a pair of l3000 leather heads. So What im saying is just take a leap and go for what the best possible headphone your wallet can handle if not than save some more.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 11
I'd stick with the SR-225 for a while, until a good deal on a used RS-1 pops up. That's what I did when I had the MS-1
rs1smile.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Just realize that the PS1 is probably on it's last days as a product you can get new. After that, it will get significantly harder to find. 250 in existance, most of those in germany...

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Honestly, the PS-1's are out. It's just too much money. It's not one of those things that will nag at me at all, seriously. I am sure it sounds fantastic but I'm not sure if I could even bring myself to spend that much on a pair of cans given my amount of usage for one and budget above all. As for RS-1's, I'd definitely be going for a used, that's for sure. I'm getting the sense the RS-1's are the way to go. It's killing me that I once owned them before, about two years ago and sold them too quickly. Problem is I had a different mind set then and had a way different system. I've owned and used my 225's for a year now, built my system toward Grado and am convinced that I'll love the RS-1. Anyone have an argument as to why I SHOULD go for the RS-2 or MS-2i instead?
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Honestly, the PS-1's are out. It's just too much money. It's not one of those things that will nag at me at all, seriously. I am sure it sounds fantastic but I'm not sure if I could even bring myself to spend that much on a pair of cans given my amount of usage for one and budget above all. As for RS-1's, I'd definitely be going for a used, that's for sure. I'm getting the sense the RS-1's are the way to go. It's killing me that I once owned them before, about two years ago and sold them too quickly. Problem is I had a different mind set then and had a way different system. I've owned and used my 225's for a year now, built my system toward Grado and am convinced that I'll love the RS-1. Anyone have an argument as to why I SHOULD go for the RS-2 or MS-2i instead?
icon10.gif

Reading all the above Sean, I think you should aim for an RS-1 (or above hehe) instead of the RS-2 or MS-2i. Especially since you owned the RS-1 before and have an inkling that it will rock with your current rig - that's alot better than jumping in blind!

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi Sean,
I actually prefer my 225's over the RS-2 if you can believe that. I felt the RS-2 was a bit bright and for a few bucks more the RS-1 was a lot better.

I had RS-1 for a while but had to sell them to finance another project. In the meantime when I get the itch for the Grado sound, the 225 keeps me happy.

Of course my Senn HD-650 and Cardas cable are still #1.
RS-1 would come in second and the 225 third place.
Todd R

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks, guys. But it looks like it's going to be the Grado HF-1 for now! #11 on the list! I still foresee the RS-1's on down the road sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back