RS-1- Pads stuck on?
Aug 31, 2007 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gmckay

100+ Head-Fier
Is it normal for the pads to be adhered to the cups?

I just recieved a used pair and was looking to swap the pads with my HD-414 pads from my old SR-225's

There seems to be some sort of adhesive attaching the pads to the wood cups.

Is this a mod perhaps from the previous owner, an age issue or standard Grado practice?

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 17
It's likely that the finish had not completely dried before they put the pads on at the factory. Or as the finish has aged, it has become sticky and the pads have adhered to it.

- augustwest

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 17
The foam pads should not glued onto the cups. However, over time, I've observed that the foam does self adhere to the lacquer of the cups. You just have to gently pry the foam pads off.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 17
This ain't standard Grado practice.
How sticky is it? I don't think that the pads would adhere really tight, even they were put on with non dried finish.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks guys.

I didn't want to try pulling them off before checking

So I've pulled the pads off very gently and in fact the pads came off..albeit resistant at first.

Wow #132 is marked on the cups...does that give anyone an idea of age? The seller suggested they were a little over 3 years old.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow #132 is marked on the cups...does that give anyone an idea of age?

That must be relatively old. The new ones are over #5000 now. IIRC, I remember reading somewhere that the earliest RS-1s were not numbered.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 17
Same with mine.
frown.gif

Caused me real grief when I had to change the pads.

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Thanks guys.

So I've pulled the pads off very gently and in fact the pads came off..albeit resistant at first.

Wow #132 is marked on the cups...does that give anyone an idea of age? The seller suggested they were a little over 3 years old.

The RS-1 was released around 1995 (goodness knows when they started S/N'ing them) so one in the mid 100s would definitely be older than 3 years!

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS-1 was released around 1995 (goodness knows when they started S/N'ing them) so one in the mid 100s would definitely be older than 3 years!

You're probably correct, but when did they start putting serial numbers on them? I know that the vintage RS-1s don't have serial numbers...

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Thanks guys.

If I recall correctly, Grado labs used to glue the Flat pads onto the cups for a while, but I don't remember when they started or when they stopped. #132 is quite old, yes, but then again, RS-1's did not have serial numbers early in production, so I can't think of any logical way to judge the age of your RS-1's without finding someone with an older, serial numbered RS-1.

Either way, what matters is that you got the pads off eventually, although I wonder if there are any remnants of the foam stuck on the rim of the wood housing, as some early RS-1 owners have reported?

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I recall correctly, Grado labs used to glue the Flat pads onto the cups for a while, but I don't remember when they started or when they stopped. #132 is quite old, yes, but then again, RS-1's did not have serial numbers early in production, so I can't think of any logical way to judge the age of your RS-1's without finding someone with an older, serial numbered RS-1.

Either way, what matters is that you got the pads off eventually, although I wonder if there are any remnants of the foam stuck on the rim of the wood housing, as some early RS-1 owners have reported?

When i got my unserialized pair, they had the original flats still on (falling to pieces as well). I'm pretty certain that they weren't glued on, but rather the foam sort of decomposed and stuck itself. I had to pry them off from the inside out, and it left quite a residue. Cleaned it off with some citrus based cleaner, although i hear mineral oil is another option (don't quote me on that, memory might be off).

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cleaned it off with some citrus based cleaner, although i hear mineral oil is another option (don't quote me on that, memory might be off).

You're right
biggrin.gif

When I called Grado about this, they suggested mineral oil & a Q tip to clean and release the old bits of foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back