RS-1 or W2002?
Oct 6, 2002 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
I'm debating what to get for my next headphone purchase, hopefully my last (yeah right). Well, it's between the AT W2002 and the Grado RS-1. If I were to get the W2002, I would buy it as used, and also sell my W100.

The one thing I fear most about getting the W2002 is the "cupped-ear" effect that many say they have; also I've heard some call vocals "reedy." Also, I fear the "resonance" effect that I've heard some say the W2002 has (I remember Acidtripwow and dwhilkin saying something about it once). So, is it worth it?

I have heard the RS-1 (out of RA-1 and MArantz CD6000 OSE) and liked it, but the midrange seemed quite warm and, well, thick, but nevertheless it was very enjoyable for most music with which they were auditioned.

Also, FWIW, I plan to eventually get a Mapletree Audio Ear+ and Sony SCD-775 for either combo, unless something more suitable is recommended.

Well, what do you think?

And thanks in advance for the great help and knowledge for which Head-Fizers are known.

Regards, Luke

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 37
You dont need me to tell you they are both great headphones. One thing I notice about the RS1 compared to the W2002 is that the RS1 sound is not affected by pressing the enclosures tighter to the ears (<cough> flat pads </cough>), whereas the W2002 sound is changed very much by doing so. I preferred the sound of the W2002's with a little more pressure than the headband was giving me. When the sound of a headphone can change a lot simply by pressing the enclosures tighter, it is NOT reasonable to assume that the regular (stock) tension is somehow calibrated exactly to your head and should not be altered. So you have to decide what to do. I found that a sweatband worn over the W2002 enclosure frame increased the pressure and gave me a sound I wanted. I also got tired of using a sweatband, but I didnt want to go bending on the headband frame of the 2002 for more tension, treating it like it was a what-- a, a Grado!

Any headphone that makes you want to listen to your music more, the way you want to listen to it, is good. I dont think of the 2002 as a walking around the house headphone and certainly not one you take outside for a walk. The 2002 is packaged better and looks much more expensive than the RS1. The 2002 looks like a unique little treasure where the RS1 looks like any other Grado, with wood enclosures added. You are more apt to handle and appreciate the 2002 as a beautiful thing; the RS1 you just put on and listen to.
The W2002 sounds fine for rock, but it doesnt have the same (and possibly more one dimensional) talent for rock as the RS1. So its down to you and your listening habits, as usual.

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 37
Why don't you get them both... and the hp1000's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 37
I would really love to hear from those who once owned, now own, or have heard both of these headphones.

Off the top of my head: 88Sound, Hirsch, Acidtripwow

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 37
I've never owned the RS1 although I have auditioned them, but I have owned the W2002.

IMO, it's no contest. yes the W2002 has some flaws, but they're nowhere near as glaring as those of the RS-1 or any Grado phone for that matter. Grados just sound "fake" to me, case closed. Some people like the coloration, I don't. Grados also look like WW2 era surplus junk, but that's neither here nor there sound-wise.

W2002 are my second favorite phone next to the R10. However, the CD3K is close enough in performance to the W2002 that you may want to consider that as well. CD3K can be had for $400, about half what the W2002 goes for. Yeah, I liked the w2002 slightly better, but depending on your finances, they may not be $400 better.

Mark

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 37
Guru, Biggie's suggestion probably has some merit to it. I haven't heard the RS-1 or the W2002, so I can't tell you anything, but the HP-1000 should probably be on your list considering its similar cost and sound. MRael can probably give you an informed opinion about that.

kerely

Oct 7, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 37
I've been listening to the RS-1 recently with the HPA-1 amp (office system), and I like the combo. However, IMO the W2002 is the better headphone sonically. The lightness of the RS-1 is nice, and the W2002 doesn't fit me exactly right, and is not adjustable. Both of these headphones are very amp sensitive. The RS-1 does well with the Grado amp above, as well as the Grado RA-1. It also does well with some of my tube amps. The W2002 seems to like solid state. Not at its best with either the EAR or the ZOTL, but stunning with Sugden, and very good with HPA-1. Also very good with Melos SHA-1.

I haven't heard the Mapletree amp, so I don't know which would go better with that.

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 37
QG
Since you already like the W100, I think the W2002 is a safe bet.
smily_headphones1.gif
All of the flaws I found in the W2002 exist in the W100 and then some. The W2002 has a more continuous out-of-your-head sound stage similar to the R10, is very fast and detailed (almost Stax-like) and extremely comfortable. It pained me to sell mine. I do still like the Sony R10 better and for me the flaws of the W2002 were distractng enough that I went other ways rather than trying to find ways to reduce them. I really expect you'd dig the W2002, though.

I like the RS-1 a lot but if you're in search of that in continuous in front of you soundstage i was talking about, you won't find it withthe RS-1. For me, as I've said before, the RS-1 was simply too bright sounding for me to enjoy it so I didn't spend enough time getting to know its virtues. It was very quick, smooth and detailed though. I imagine I'd have liked it if I could have gotten past the brightness. Ah well. I prefer the HP-1000 to either of these cans, but you knew that already.

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 37
QG,

These are just my opinions, although my ears truly are a reference....TO ME! and my hearing tested perfect in 1983
tongue.gif
. (these are facts, the rhyming was unintentional). Based on my age and outside activities (doing sound) it is very possible, in fact likely that my hearing on the extreme high end is rolled off compared to a pair of younger ears, I am no longer bothered by ultrasonic burglar alarms (17K?).

I remember reading about the 'cupped voices' before getting the W2002's and wondering what that was all about, something I'd never heard before with any other headphone including the W100. When the W2002's arrived it is one of the first things I heard...so that's what they were talking about! I played a very heavy drum laden SACD through them (for about 2 hours) at slightly louder volume than I would normally listen to and I have not heard the cupped voices since. Incidentally the SACD was Kodo's 'Mondohead'. The reedy, nasal qualities that some vocals picked up is also gone and everything sounds natural.

The W2002's have a more neutral presentation than the W100's across the entire frequency spectrum. My perception of the W100 is a little thick in the mid bass, slightly rolled off in the high end (in places, taming sibilance somewhat) but still with excellent high end extention. The W100's have a sweet spot that is volume dependent, I have to turn them down before they sound just right. IMO the W100's are incredible with certain material (old jazz, new jazz with vocals like Christy Baron, Tom Waits, etc.) but I don't think they're the best cans for rock. The W2002's are more versatile, they sound better with a wider variety of material and they don't have the same narrow volume limitation that the W100's have. The instruments have a more natural sound with W2002's, the W100's have a more stylized, romantic sound.

Although the W100 & W2002 share some familiy characteristics such as distance from the stage, (1st three rows), and basic design, I don't think I could ever mistake the sound of the W100 for the W2002, they are very different.

The RS1's take the basic Grado Sound (on stage with the musicians, great impact) and warm it up a bit & give it a more 3D effect than the SR325. If you are unfamiliar with the Grado sound you really should listen to them, used and broken in if possible. The 325 is one of my favorite phones after they are well broken in, but new out of the box sound like razors. I have read many times that the RS1's need the flat pads to sound their best....this is not my opinion at all, they just need to be broken in. The bright high end and thinner bass of the new Grado is tamed significantly with a flat pad (more bass, less high end) after break-in the flats make the Grado's sound muddy and less extended.

As far as amps go the W2002's have become my favorite phone with the EMP, the W100's also sound excellent with this amp. The EMP/Grado combo sounds good but has trouble with low end transients (like low toms hit hard). The Grado's sound great with the Grace 901, so the Grado's need a lot of current to sound their best. There seems to be a big difference in the EMP between a 32 ohm phone (grado's) & 40 ohm phone (W2002's).

So what should you do? Based on your opinion of the W100, and the limited availability of the W2002, if you can get a decent price & you can afford them I'd go with the W2002. The RS1 is an excellent phone at half the price (used), but I would recommend trying them out first if you're unfamiliar with the Grado sound.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 37
I didn't address this in my original reply, since you specifically asked about the RS-1 vs. W2002, but since others have posted on this, I'll weigh in. If you can find an HP-1000 in good condition, it's superior to either, IMO. It's also quite inefficient, and requires a good amp. But it may be the best headphone purchase I've made.

Oct 7, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 37
As fate would have it a pair of HP1000 HP-2's I ordered last week arrived today and first of all to Kelly I can easily see why you prefer the HP-1000 to either the W2002 or RS1, Hirsch....I concur.

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 37
W2002 (over RS-1). I've heard both, but I only bought one. I have no intention of ever buying a RS-1.

If you throw HP-1000's into the mix, the decision gets significantly harder. I'd be hard-pressed to say which I prefer.

Oct 8, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I didn't address this in my original reply, since you specifically asked about the RS-1 vs. W2002, but since others have posted on this, I'll weigh in. If you can find an HP-1000 in good condition, it's superior to either, IMO. It's also quite inefficient, and requires a good amp. But it may be the best headphone purchase I've made.

Hirsch,

It would be great if you could write up a comparative review/analyis of all those high end phones you own to better elucidate each headphone's differences, similarities and where they currently stand in your collection.
I would love to see such a showdown as would many others, although it would take a bit of effort and time.

Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty
Hirsch,

It would be great if you could write up a comparative review/analyis of all those high end phones you own to better elucidate each headphone's differences, similarities and where they currently stand in your collection.
I would love to see such a showdown as would many others, although it would take a bit of effort and time.

Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

I've just stuck this on my "to do" list, which is now longer than I know how to deal with. The thing is, I listen to different headphones with different amps, so if I analyzed what I actually listen to, I'd be evaluating systems rather than headphones. However, I think I could use a couple of amps as standards (EAR, ZOTL, and HPA-1 in case solid state is needed. SHA-1 as backup). The EAR's capability of running up to four headphones simultaneously could help. It might be doable. Any DC area Head-Fi'ers wanting to join this project let me know. We'd be trying to do a sonic comparison of:

Sony MDR-R10
Grado HP-1
Grado RS-1
Sony MDR-CD3000
Sennheiser HD-600 (Clou and/or Cardas)
AKG K-1000 (would need speaker amp, unless EAR could pull it off)
Etymotic ER-4S
Audio Technica ATH-W2002

It could happen, although I'm not sure when...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back