RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #691 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You hear nice things about pairing them with a nice hybrid, or transformer-coupled tube amp. It seems that people really like them with some form of tube setup. More experienced members will be able to tell you the most successful pairings, but I am currently using a LD I+ - a really great budget amp. I have a Woo6 on the way, and people say really good things about the rs1 -> MAD ear + pairing.

My funds aren't liquid enough to be able to afford a MAD ear + pairing but I wouldn't mind trying a tube amp to see how it contrasts with my SS amp =)

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #692 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by tisb0b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My funds aren't liquid enough to be able to afford a MAD ear + pairing but I wouldn't mind trying a tube amp to see how it contrasts with my SS amp =)

It is a tricky one, because the nicer budget tube amp offerings are OTL designs, and technically aren't supposed to pair so nicely with low impedance 'phones like the RS1s. That being said, you get people who report great synergy with OTL tube amps and their RS1s. The safer bet is a Transformer-coupled jobby which can more adequately deal with low impedances - but unfortunately transformer-coupled designs are invariably more expensive.

Hybrid tube/ss amps are also more of a safe bet.

Take all that with a pinch of salt though, because some people are really happy with running their Grados out of more affordable OTL tube amps like a LD MKIII/IV.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #693 of 721
In my continuing quest for a perfect match for the RS1, I happened to stumble across this description on the Marantz site for my SA8003: "The headphone output, usually far down on the priority list for lesser players, includes a high-speed current buffer circuit for minimal interference, maximum articulation, stability, and fatigue-free listening."

Well, says I. Maybe I should jack the cans right into the disc player and see what it does. The result was surprising, to say the least. Better than any OTL tube amp I've tried to date, that's for sure. Quite good, in fact. So yes, I think I agree that SS is the way to go with these phones. Oddly, the Heed Canamp was not as good as the built-in amp in the 8003.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #694 of 721
I use the RS-1 on a SP Platinum + with nice results. OTL and budget do not go well together though. What you save on a transformer, you pay for in power supply.

They play well on the Millett Portable Hybrid too.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #696 of 721
The RS1 (buttonless)  I have tend to be my most  engaging headphones, insofar as emotional involvement in music is concerned.  I find this to be true with any source material with a prominent electric guitar.  No one else comes close to involving the listener with this instrument the way RS1s can do..  Likewise, woodwinds sound like woodwinds.  The RS1s have a good sense of PRAT.  They do not sound harsh through the upper-mids and treble, as the wooden cup seems to subdue the upper midrange.

I can get more ultimate resolution with my HD 800s.   Vocals display more resolution, as do most instruments.  However, I wind up feeling that while I can hear more levels or layers with the HD 800s, I am not getting as emotionally involved with the music, except to note to myself how clean individual voices and instrumentation can sound.  In short, while the HD 800s  can definitely  extract more detail from the music, they do not involve me in the music emotionally the same way the Grado RS 1s do.

So, bottom line, in terns of being involved/iimmersed within the music, the RS1s win the battle, most of  the time

That's not to say that I might not get more from the HD800s with some source and amplification upgrades.  I am running a Cal Audio Labs Aria Mk. III as my cd source, and an Imod, both connected with Morrow Audio cables into a McIntosh preamp connected by Morrow cables into a Singlepower PPX3 Slam.  I realize this equipment is older stuff; however, it seems to have a very synergistic effect on the quality of sound delivered to the headphone amplifier output.

One of these days I may attend a meet and have my priorities turned upside down within a price range I can afford.   Until then, I'm a happy camper.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #697 of 721
Just got me a pair of vintage RS1 a few days back:

Really love how these sound w/ my favorite rocks, guitar and pop musics. I think I've found the perfect company for my HD800 :)

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #698 of 721
Ordered the TTVJ flasts about 3 weeks ago, finally they arrived a few days ago. Now I understand why some guys said those flats are made for Grados :) 

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #699 of 721
I just now ordered these flats. Are you still happy with them? Are they comfortable? I tried G Cushions on my RS-1s, and they made the mids and bass drop way down. I turned them around, and they sound great, just like the stock pads. They are "itchy" just like the stock pads, also! :)

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #700 of 721
I was thinking of getting some of those flats, also.

How much were they?

was debating between the flats and G-cushion.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #701 of 721
Quote:
I was thinking of getting some of those flats, also.

How much were they?

was debating between the flats and G-cushion.

I received the flats, yesterday. They were $42.00, with shipping. Ridiculous amount of money for two pieces of foam. The sound is so much better, however. They seem to place the headphone diaphragm the perfect distance from your ear. I didn't like the G-cushions, at all. They set your ear drum too far from the headphone diaphragm, IMHO. All I could hear was bass and treble, no mid range. I turned the G cushions around, and it moved the diaphragm closer (just like the flats), and sounded better. I'd highly recommend the flats.

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #702 of 721
I think  will keep my eye out here in the buy/sell/trade section of the forums...maybe get lucky and pick me up a used set in good condiion.

I agree the Grado foam pads are expensive, but I do love the simplicity of the headphones themselves.

Those vintage RS1's above look great.....most people seem to hate the look of the retro style of Grados,,,,,some how I like the look....I must be strange.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #703 of 721
Does anybody here treat the wood cups on their RS1 headphones ?

If so, what do you use?

I wanna keep them looking as good as they sound!

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #704 of 721
 I'm a bit late to the party - I bought my buttonless RS1s (not 'i') second-hand from a forum member last year, but only now am I getting a chance to really listen to them.  My sources are mainly rock 60s - present, proggy stuff but anything with some excitement and dynamics.  Not a posh source at the moment - Google Music's 320kbps (I uploaded FLAC to their service).

I am an SR60 veteran, having bought them back in the day when they were still barely known.  I don't have the SR60s any more, but I have struggled a little to love the RS1s, which is strange as from *reading* about them they are right up my street.

I was using flats for a while, but (don't kill me) I much prefer the bowls.  The soundstage with flats is in my opinion embarrassing for a top headphone, and what I thought was more impact from the flats, was actually overblown mid-bass.

Yet, overall I have found the bass on the headphone to be weak, and the presentation to be uninspiring.  I don't plan to flog a dead horse forever, but might have I missed something?  In particular - 1) How sensitive are RS1s to correct fit?  I hear things about bending the headband etc, but not sure.  2) Do they really *need* an amp to go from average (not good) to great?  Part of my affinity with Grados apart from the easy to listen to rock presentation, is that they are supposed to be easy to drive from a laptop or whatever.

I feel I have to turn the volume up louder than I'd like to get the dynamics and punch I'm looking for.

Hope this makes sense - I could almost believe they are SR60s in RS1 housings - someone help me put my mind at rest please!

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #705 of 721
Quote:
Part of my affinity with Grados apart from the easy to listen to rock presentation, is that they are supposed to be easy to drive from a laptop or whatever.

I feel I have to turn the volume up louder than I'd like to get the dynamics and punch I'm looking for.

Hope this makes sense - I could almost believe they are SR60s in RS1 housings - someone help me put my mind at rest please!

I bought two pairs of Rs1's. One was a classic pair with buttons from about 2002-2003, and the other was a pair of buttonless Rs1's(not i). Although they were both great headphones, I found out they were simply not for me.
I also felt like I was turning the volume higher to achieve more fulfilling sound, but this is something that was simply not worth it. My advice is if you are still having to fiddle with them and if they are not a pleasant experience at least most of the time you listen to them sell them and buy something else.
I sold my two pairs, and just received a pair of Grado Ps500...First impressions...I had a very similar effect as with  the Rs1's. So I remembered I have an old ipod touch abandoned in a drawer that I don't use. I charged it, and plugged in the Ps500's. The Ps500 sound better from this old ipod than with my other stuff (or at least I don't have to turn it up as loud to sound good) Try plugging in your Rs1's straight to an ipod, you never know.
Another alternative Grado I would highly recommend is the Rs2, still my favorite Grado, and it is not as picky with sources as the other two mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back