RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Jun 14, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #196 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received mine today and am listening to them right now. My first impression...man, these things are bright! Brighter than my 325is. My second impression...the smell of the mahogany. I inhaled deeply. I love the sound stage, and I love the lower mids and bass. I'm going to have to find a nice tube amp to pair with these. Any suggestions? Under $500?

I don't think we shoud discuss this here, but i would suggest you a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD kit for $570. Or even a assembled one for $670 ...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #197 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think we shoud discuss this here, but i would suggest you a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD kit for $570. Or even a assembled one for $670 ...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Damn....I lost my wallet. It was here a minute ago. I wonder if it grew legs and ran away?
rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #198 of 721
Quote:

man, these things are bright! Brighter than my 325is. M

We must have completely different ears.
biggrin.gif

I'm giving away the 325i because they are too bright, and buying the RS-1 instead which I found perfect for my ears (and gear) . ??

ps: I think the "cat's butt" source might be the issue
rs1smile.gif

The 325i were amazing till I got outboard dac.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #199 of 721
It could be that I haven't listened to any music in the last few days and they caught me off guard. It could also be the genre...I listen to some pretty bright sounding bands. Also, it might be EQ...which is set for my SR-80s...which are a little darker. I'm going to have to fiddle around. I let my boss try them out for the afternoon. He's a huge vinyl junkie and he listens to his collection on......

.....Bose

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #200 of 721
I've had these for almost two months now, and I don't regret the purchase a single bit. There are often times where I actually go a few days without listening to them (I'm always on the go these days it seems) so I get accustomed to my Mylar X3s or my KSC75s, and then when the moment comes I put those Grados back on and I remember why I got them. They just blow everything else straight out of the water.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #201 of 721
Yes RS-1 is too bright with bowls, put flat pad on them and you're in heaven
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

I received mine today and am listening to them right now. My first impression...man, these things are bright! Brighter than my 325is. My second impression...the smell of the mahogany. I inhaled deeply. I love the sound stage, and I love the lower mids and bass. I'm going to have to find a nice tube amp to pair with these. Any suggestions? Under $500?

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #202 of 721
Quote:

brighter then your 325i's? You are crazy.. The brightness of the 325i's never really bothered me but the rs-1's were just a relief

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #203 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes RS-1 is too bright with bowls, put flat pad on them and you're in heaven
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brighter then your 325i's? You are crazy.. The brightness of the 325i's never really bothered me but the rs-1's were just a relief

x2
rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #204 of 721
From mid range down, compared to the 325is, the RS-1s are much more laid back, but from everything above the midrange...what can I say...they caught me off guard. Going by memory since it's been almost a week since I listened to headphones, so I'll have to AB. Maybe I'm mistaking brightness for detail?

Update....

And that's what it was...I played the brightest rock song in my collection and I realized my EQ setting in iTunes was set to "Piano". Man...that was harsh. After resetting the EQ and playing some decent rock songs, the universe went back to normal. This is exactly the sound I was looking for. I absolutely love these cans and now I don't think I need an amp. The amp in E-MU seems just fine. But...I'm sure I'll change my mind when I hear someone else's setup.

Damn...that scared me!

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #206 of 721
I have yet to hear a pair of RS-1s that I would tag as bright and I usually listen with bowls. Which brings me to a funny experience earlier this evening. For the heck of it I decided to try the ol' reverse bowls and whoa! but I did like the difference. Now I have tried a pair of RS-1s with flats on them and preferred them with bowls so I didn't bother trying this experiment with mine. But I'm lucky to have an older model RS-1 so I thought, "what the heck".

Needless to say I immediately went to TTVJ and ordered a pair of flats. And thanks to Todd's amazing service, he mailed them out the same day which means I should have mine by tomorrow (Saturday). Psyched!
orphsmile.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #210 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to hear a pair of RS-1s that I would tag as bright and I usually listen with bowls. Which brings me to a funny experience earlier this evening. For the heck of it I decided to try the ol' reverse bowls and whoa! but I did like the difference. Now I have tried a pair of RS-1s with flats on them and preferred them with bowls so I didn't bother trying this experiment with mine. But I'm lucky to have an older model RS-1 so I thought, "what the heck".

Needless to say I immediately went to TTVJ and ordered a pair of flats. And thanks to Todd's amazing service, he mailed them out the same day which means I should have mine by tomorrow (Saturday). Psyched!
orphsmile.gif

Did the flats come.....? I've been playing with mine using bowls, flats and reverse bowls for the last two hours.
Can't quite decide what's best yet, but reversed bowls are the lead so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back