Royal Mail Lost £400 custom earphone, WHAT TO DO?
Apr 15, 2011 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

totounique

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Last month I have sent my custom iem out to unique melody (in china) to refit. I used airmail service from royal mail, and they probably lost my packet because its been 3 weeks (22 days) now and they still haven't receive it yet (Royal mail said it takes 5-7 days). I read up on royal mail compensation, they only covered up to £46!!!. and THAT TF10X4 COST £400, I know I should have used airsured but that is not possible because the company asked me to put the value of my earphone as $30, (I know I can use airsured but I will have to declare the real value of the earphone in order to get a full compensation).

WHAT CAN I DO NOW??? and Was this even my fault that I didn't declare the real value of the earphone?

THANK YOU!

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 12
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure it's still possible that they'll show up. Make a claim and use the tracking if available. No offense intended but if it's too much to lose, insure it or take your chances. Unfortunately, you lost this bet. Companies can afford to ship this way as they move enough product that losing one in 100 is less expensive than insurance. Individuals should always insure or accept the risk. At least you haven't claimed that the manufacturer have lost yours without proof as has been done here in the past. Perhaps you can talk to melody about a break on replacement with proof of shipping something to them. Good luck with your search and hope the refit goes well.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure it's still possible that they'll show up. Make a claim and use the tracking if available. No offense intended but if it's too much to lose, insure it or take your chances. Unfortunately, you lost this bet. Companies can afford to ship this way as they move enough product that losing one in 100 is less expensive than insurance. Individuals should always insure or accept the risk. At least you haven't claimed that the manufacturer have lost yours without proof as has been done here in the past. Perhaps you can talk to melody about a break on replacement with proof of shipping something to them. Good luck with your search and hope the refit goes well.

Good advice.  I know that I've tried to play the game of avoiding insurance and lost.  I also think your comment about how he hasn't claimed the manufacturer lost it is insightful- whenever I read a thread like this, my first instinct is that there's a punchline coming somewhere, and that's usually it. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 12
3 weeks doesn't guarantee that your package is lost, I'd say there's still hope.  I've had international packages take much longer to reach their destinations.  Packages very rarely get lost, sometimes certain countries just have a slow or bad customs office.  China should be alright, but you never know.  

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 12
This is my experience with the USPS, so I am not sure how it will translate.  Is there a tracking #?  I have shipped via USPS First Class International both with the Registered Mail option and without, which adds tracking but low indemnity.  I have had packages lost without the tracking, but never with tracking.  I have had to call the post office if the package doesn't get delivered and after my call, the package is always found and delivered.  I did have a CK10 I sold to someone in the UK lost for 2 weeks, I called the USPS, and they found it the next day and delivered it.  Hopefully something like that will happen in your case.

Also my experience shipping to China is that it takes a little longer to clear customs than many countries.

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Also my experience shipping to China is that it takes a little longer to clear customs than many countries.

This pretty much -- hopefully it'll show up soon. Though there is no harm in asking about it as soon as possible.

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 12
im chinese i ship all the time,  it takes a lot more longer than before for stuffs to clear customs,  i always check with the post office in the US , no matter what method i use there is a custom # on the reciept, you can always call them or visit PO to see if the package is at custom or they never got it

PS  China just came out some new tax policies sep 2010, now they check very carefully for all the stuffs goes in and out  so they can tax you

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Is there a tracking #?  I have shipped via USPS First Class International both with the Registered Mail option and without, which adds tracking but low indemnity.  I have had packages lost without the tracking, but never with tracking.  I have had to call the post office if the package doesn't get delivered and after my call, the package is always found and delivered.

From what the OP describes I imagine there'll be a tracking number up to the point of "your parcel has been prepared for shipping overseas: China" and nothing after that. That seems to be standard with all but special delivery from the Royal Mail.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 12
Sound like TS is from England since you use the currency £.  Let just hope your package is just delayed somewhere on the way. 3 weeks doesnt really mean they lose since i am living 1000km from China  and it took more than 2 weeks for Fed Ex to reach UM facility. My suspect would be the chinese side  because according to fedex tracked, my custom was hold there for 10 days waiting for clearance.

btw: it would be better for you to state the value of your custom $30 if you dont want the chinese to charge you a lot of tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back