Routing audio through my house - power lines?
Dec 13, 2003 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

neil

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I am looking for a really easy way to route audio through my house. My neighbor has his whole house wired so that he can broadcast his computer-juke-box to several rooms. I'd like to do the same thing -- but cheap and with some decent sound quality.

Is it possible to route sound through the power wires in my house? I know that they do this with analog phone lines, so I thought there might be some type of device to do this with audio signals for speakers.

Dec 13, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
You don't want to go this route Neil. There are several compromises involved,first and foremost is sound quality will not be as good as it can be,secondly, this opens the audio signal not only to noise from the normal interconnect audio chain but the the noise from the power lines as well. It would be better to use a multi-room reciever or even to wire the house with audio cable. This is not as expensive as you might think and is not nearly as difficult as it looks. You can easily wire a seven room house for $300-500 and do it in a day using very high quality jacks and wiring. I think the multi-room reciever would be best,it would allow you to have full control of you audio signal(to adjust volume,shut it on-off,etc.)rather than just piping your signal around the house.

Dec 13, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Hey everyone. I am looking for a really easy way to route audio through my house. My neighbor has his whole house wired so that he can broadcast his computer-juke-box to several rooms. I'd like to do the same thing -- but cheap and with some decent sound quality.

Is it possible to route sound through the power wires in my house? I know that they do this with analog phone lines, so I thought there might be some type of device to do this with audio signals for speakers.

Did you ever find out how expensive your neighbor's setup was?
confused.gif
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 15, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 6
How exactly does this work?
confused.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm sure it's cheap just to route cables thorughout the house; however, I'd rather now fish cables through walls or vents. Man, when am I going to see 802.11 audio?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back