Rotel headphone jacks vs diy amps.
Sep 10, 2004 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bias

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have a mid-90's Rotel preamp (model rtc-950AX0). Headphone jack out of this seems to work well with a pair of 600 ohm headphones (hd-480s). Nice tone, balance freq response. I was wondering if I anyone know specifically if Rotel's headphone outputs are of better quality than less expensive, well-built brands. In other words, will I benefit from spending ~200 on a headphone amp (pimeta, PPA, etc)? If these types of amps wont bring any benefit, what amp would one recommend as being at the bottom end for me to actually sonically benefit from? (talking real discernable differences here...not frantic a/bing to make me feel better about shelling out $500 or so... :wink:

Thanks...

Mike

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 6
You did not state what you are using for a source. If you want to upgrade your headphone amplification, one option is to get a tube headphone amplifier. The midrange, especially vocals, really open up with a tube amplifier.

First there is the ASL MG Head OTL. There is a used one for sale on the Amplifier Equipment For Sale Forum right now, for $200 plus shipping.

Other choices include the PPX3, cost is about $450 for a new unit.

Also, the Fisher 400 vintage all-tube receiver works very well as a headphone amplifier.

Any of these would be a good match for the Sennheiser HD-600 phones.

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi, and thanks for the advice!
I am using a mid-90's Rotel CDP (model RCD-955AX) going into an Entech 205.2 DAC (The Rotel's built in DAC's sound pretty similar...nice). Also have an old Hafler DH-200 to which someone long ago added a headphone jack. Power out of this jack is insane, but it has grain that the Rotel's jack does not. However, you didn't say definitely whether or not the DIY headphone amps would make any difference compared to the Rotel. The Entech does have a little bite to it that might soften up with a tube or two...

Thanks,

Mike

Sep 10, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 6
The DIY dedicated headphone amplifiers can sound very good, with a very transparent sound. To build a good one you have to spend $200 just for the parts, not counting your labor.

The DIY amplifiers I have heard, META for example, have not impressed me with their lower bass response when using HD-600 phones. Also, these amplifier either rely on batteries, that can run down at inconvenient times, or you have to figure in the additional cost of a decent regulated power supply.

Unless you need a portable amplifier, especially for use with HD-600 phones, IMHO your money would be better spent on a used MG Head DT or MG Head OTL tube headphone amplifier. The HD-600 sounds really good when powered by the MG Head amplifier, plus you can tweak and improve the sound through careful selection of both the single (12AX7 or 5751) driver tube and the pair of (EL84/6BQ5) output tubes.

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi Mkmelt,
I notice you no longer mention the vintage Marantz products for driving the Sennheiser 600 headphones.

You are right on regarding the limited ability of the DIY headphone amps (below the PPA level). The lower range DIY amps are not able to properly drive the Senn's (580/600/650) and reveal:

A)Full dynamic range that the headphones are capable of

B)Full bass

C)Effortless sound at high listening levels

I find the above particularly true of the battery powered amps.

I had a chance to try a Fisher 400 and it is indeed special(as you say it is) and shows off the spatial capability of the Sennheisers.

However, after having my Marantz 2230 gone through by a qualified tech(with top grade Sound Tech test gear) I still thought the Marantz was close to the Fisher. I am going to try the OTL next.

Question: On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the following:

1-MG OTL
2-Fisher 400
3-Marantz 1060/2230
4-PPA amp
5-Pimeta
5-Meta 42

Thanks again for all you expertise.
Tom

Sep 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 6
[I notice you no longer mention the vintage Marantz products for driving the Sennheiser 600 headphones.]

Not true, I actually prefer my Marantz 1060 to all other solid state amplifiers in the under $300 price range. The 2230 is essentially the preamplifier/amplifier from the 1060 coupled with an AM/FM tuner.

Since the head-fi member who started the thread already had a decent sounding vintage solid state Rotel amplifier, within his price range of $200, any significant improvement in sound is only going to come from a tube design.

Question: On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the following *:

(* Using HD-600 phones)

1-MG OTL Bass:7.5, Mid:8.5, Treble:8, Soundstage:?, Ambience:**?
2-Fisher 400 Bass:9, Mid:9.5, Treble:8, Soundstage:9, Ambience: 9.5
3-Marantz 1060/2230 Bass:8.5, Mid:9, Treble:8.5, Soundstage:8, Ambience: 8.5
4-PPA amp (No opinion, never heard amp.)
5-Pimeta (No opinion, never heard amo.)
5-Meta 42 Bass:7, Mid:8, Treble:9, Soundstage:unknown, Ambience:unknown

** I judge the degree of recorded ambience, sounds such as concert hall echo, recording booth sound reflections, etc., that is present on many analog recordings and listen for how much of this information is passed through the amplfier to the listener. This Fisher 400 does this better than most amplifiers, the Marantz 1060 is very close to the Fisher, remarkable for a solid state amplifier in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back