Rotel HDCD Light is acting funny..what's going on?
Feb 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AudioICE

New Head-Fier
It's always lit red whenever an enhanced or HDCD disc is playing.

Last night it stopped lighting...but it doesn't seem to be fused because it did work..but only for two tracks (13,14)....really weird. I checked the cd and it was pretty much scratch and blemish free. I tried another HDCD that used to light up..and again, nothing lit up! Only two tracks on one of my HDCD's are making the light go on.

I'd understand if it wasn't working at all (as it would probably be fused)..but two tracks on one of the discs is still making it light up. Something is fishy.

Am I still getting HDCD sound with HDCD discs even thouogh the HDCD light isn't lit red?

What could be the problem here...

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 5
On my RCD-991, the HDCD LED is driven directly by the PMD-100 filter chip through a resistor, which does the HDCD processing. There is a ribbon cable from the main PCB to the PCB for the front panel. You might contact Rotel via email and they will send you a service manual for free. I would open it up and try reseating all of the ribbon cables on both boards in that area. On the 991, the connector numbers are K402 on the main PCB and K106 on the front panel PCB. Looks like it is a 5-pin ribbon.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my RCD-991, the HDCD LED is driven directly by the PMD-100 filter chip through a resistor, which does the HDCD processing. There is a ribbon cable from the main PCB to the PCB for the front panel. You might contact Rotel via email and they will send you a service manual for free. I would open it up and try reseating all of the ribbon cables on both boards in that area. On the 991, the connector numbers are K402 on the main PCB and K106 on the front panel PCB. Looks like it is a 5-pin ribbon.

So in other words, I have to reconnect that ribbon? I'm not very techncial. Does this pertain to sound quality at all or just the indicator light? It's an RCD-971.

I'm confused.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 5
It is an indicator light (LED), driven by a pin on the chip that does the HDCD decoding. Whether it is just flaky (bad connection in ribbon cable), or indicates some sort of malfunction I don't know. I was suggesting to open the case up (probably 2 screws in back and 4-6 on the bottom side edges) and unplug and then replug the ribbon cables. Unplug the power on the player before doing so. The connectors have locks on them, so don't force them. Or shoot Rotel tech support an email and ask them about it.

techsupport@bwgroupusa.com

Rotel of America
54 Concord St.
North Reading, MA 01864-2699
tel: 978 664 3820
fax: 978 664 4109

http://www.rotel.com/NA/

An RCD-971 has the same chipset as the 991 that I have.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is an indicator light (LED), driven by a pin on the chip that does the HDCD decoding. Whether it is just flaky (bad connection in ribbon cable), or indicates some sort of malfunction I don't know. I was suggesting to open the case up (probably 2 screws in back and 4-6 on the bottom side edges) and unplug and then replug the ribbon cables. Unplug the power on the player before doing so. The connectors have locks on them, so don't force them. Or shoot Rotel tech support an email and ask them about it.

techsupport@bwgroupusa.com

Rotel of America
54 Concord St.
North Reading, MA 01864-2699
tel: 978 664 3820
fax: 978 664 4109

Home Theater System Surround Sound Amplifier DVD Player - Rotel

An RCD-971 has the same chipset as the 991 that I have.

Alright. I sent them an e-mail. Either way I'll probably have to be opening it up.

Maybe it can just be the fact that I recently moved the player into my room, against a wall where you can feel the cold draft?

Who knows.

Thanks a lot for your help though, I'll open it up and check!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back