Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #706 of 1,255
  what would be the best offering for a ~220$ iem from Rose Technology?

I listen to house music and classic rock. like crunchy, wubwub deep bass. Thinking of Rose Hybrid 8.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of recommending as well. In terms of wubwub deep bass, I think you'd need to move up to the Cappuccino range to get incredible bass. Don't get me wrong, the 3D-8 is good, but nothing quite holds a candle to the Cappuccino Mk. II. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #709 of 1,255
  Hey guys...new to the thread.
The Rose Cappuccino II. Can anyone tell me where best to buy it please?
Cheers

The best in terms of price would be Tao I guess.
But the service and warranty may shift you to Ali stores or Penon.
Penon had some successful negotiations with manufacturer on some of issues in this thread - I guess they would be a good option.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #710 of 1,255
  The best in terms of price would be Tao I guess.
But the service and warranty may shift you to Ali stores or Penon.
Penon had some successful negotiations with manufacturer on some of issues in this thread - I guess they would be a good option.

Thanks. Yes I saw them on Aliexpress but wasn't sure which were the Mk II's til I looked on Penon (where I've just ordered a couple of iems). Penon were amazingly prompt on email and nice personal touch.

Apologies for possibly prompting a repeat of what's been said before but can you tell me:
1. Which are the TOTL Rose's (in anyone's opinion)
2. What are the Cappuccino mk II's best qualities in terms of: bass (I've read about), mids and highs...and soundstage/3-D quality?
3. Would they pair with Plenue P1 well (I saw someone didn't consider they paired well with Mojo which is similar)?
4. Comfort?

Anyone compare with Aurisonics Harmony? And SW3?
Cheers

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #711 of 1,255

Thanks. Yes I saw them on Aliexpress but wasn't sure which were the Mk II's til I looked on Penon (where I've just ordered a couple of iems). Penon were amazingly prompt on email and nice personal touch.

Apologies for possibly prompting a repeat of what's been said before but can you tell me:
1. Which are the TOTL Rose's (in anyone's opinion)
2. What are the Cappuccino mk II's best qualities in terms of: bass (I've read about), mids and highs...and soundstage/3-D quality?
3. Would they pair with Plenue P1 well (I saw someone didn't consider they paired well with Mojo which is similar)?
4. Comfort?

Anyone compare with Aurisonics Harmony? And SW3?
Cheers

Penon will provide unvaluable service (including dealing with Rose directly, which certainly helps if you're nor fluent with Chinese) in case anything goes wrong, Aliexpress just won't.

In the Rose range, I've tested Hybrid 7, Pudding, Cappucinos MK1/2 and BR5.
If price is not an issue, Cappuccinos MK1/MK2 are the most "special" to me.

Hybrid 7 have typical V-shaped sound with a bit of vocals boost to help. MK2 just came out, could be better, I don't know.

Puddings lack in term of separation and soundstage (at least for the price). with 4 BA drivers, it's surprising.

BR5s lack greatly in the bass area (which is quite normal given their positioning).

Cappuccinos MK1 are VERY bright (treble and higher mids are extremely forward, and bass became extremely tight upon burning for 40-50 hours, to the point that the signature is much less W than it was initially). I like them but they can sound weird with some musical genres (W means some dips in higher bass and in higher mids). But they pair very well with Mojo which tames them a bit by making treble and bass less tight. Soundstage is not very big but separation is uncanny.

Cappuccinos MK2 are not smooth neither bright. L shape, which is uncommon. Bass is big and tight, bigger than Sirius and tighter than T8iE and ASG2.5. Can't comment about your Solar bass, but I doubt a BA-based bass can sound exactly the same as twin-DD bass (and note I had Angies with large bass as a reference). Mids are definitely better than the Aurisonics (less relaxed with more separation), and the soundstage is definitely large sideways and forwards/backwards, which is certainly reinforced by the airiness. Treble are airy as well, which may be good or bad depending on personal taste. Treble are a  tad too tight for my taste, but they're still good enough given the price.
Fit is very easy and provides good isolation, JVC spiral dot tips fit nicely and provide a decent seal but not deep, which helps the soundstage.

I didn't like Plenue 1 base sound, but with Jet Effects, there's so much you can do to tweak the sound to your liking that I wouldn't worry too much. It's about the only EQ tool that find grace to my ears, other brands are lagging behind regarding EQ. Pairing with my Cayin N5 is the best I heard so far, especially with a balanced output boosting separation. pairing with Sabre DACs is ok (I tried a couple), the only looser is Mojo, for once.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #712 of 1,255
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. You're right about P1 uneq'd. But so many other options - two or three of which are great in my opinion. The rest, meh.

I wonder about these great value boutique brands. Amazing array of DDs and BA's. But the artistry is in the tuning, yes? I like the fact that you haven't overstated any aspect or used any hyperbolic adjectives but I'm not motivated to buy from your analysis.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #713 of 1,255

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]I'll be adding images later in my complete review. I wanted to get this out ASAP for you guys, so it lacks a tiny bit of polish.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Rose Cappuccino Mk. II Review: Hit The Bass Cannon[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Do you like bass? Do you like so much bass that you have to make sure you don’t listen at too high of a volume so that you don’t suffer hearing loss? If you answered yes to either of those questions, I’ve got something today that will make you grin: the second generation Rose Cappuccino. Hailing from a small company in China formed by university students, the Cappuccino Mk. II is a tribute to bass-heads around the world.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]You can find the Cappuccino Mk. II here on Penon Audio for $350.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Disclaimer: I bought this unit with my own money. I am not affiliated with Penon Audio or Rose. These words reflect my true, unaltered opinion about the product.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Preference and Bias: Before reading a review, it is worth mentioning that there is no way for a reviewer to objectively pass judgment on the enjoy-ability of a product: such a thing is inherently subjective. Therefore, I find it necessary for you to read and understand what I take a natural liking to and how that might affect my rating of a product.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]My ideal sound signature would be an extended sub-bass with a leveled, but textured, mid-bass. The mids should be slightly less pronounced than the treble, but still ahead of the bass. I prefer a more bright upper range.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Source: The Cappuccino Mk. II was powered like so:[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Nexus 6P -> earphones[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]or[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Hidizs AP100 3.5mm out -> FiiO A5 3.5mm out -> earphones[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]HiFiMAN SuperMini -> earphones[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]PC optical out -> HiFiMe SPDIF 9018 Sabre DAC 3.5mm out -> earphones[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]All music was served as MP3 @320Kbps or as FLAC.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Cappuccino Mk. II scales well with higher-end sources. Bass hardness is dependent on the source.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Sound Signature[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Initial Impressions:[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Cappuccino Mk. II’s sound signature is quite rare: a true L-shaped IEM is hard to come by, and one that sounds good is even harder to find. Luckily, the Mk. II checks all of these boxes. The bass rests in front of the mids and treble, which are matched together well. The treble takes a very slight edge in front of the mids, but not enough to be noticeable in too many situations.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Treble: Songs used: In One EarMidnight CityOutlands[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Treble is well matched with the rest of the sound, and isn’t too aggressive in most cases. However, it’s pretty far away from something you could call smooth. Therefore, in certain situations, treble bound instruments can sound a bit sharp, though its nothing that has prevented me from enjoying a song thus far. However, this lack of smoothness really allows the Mk. II to grab tons of details and drag them to the front of the song.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Mids: Songs used: Flagpole SittaJacked UpI Am The HighwayDreams[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The upper mids of the Cappuccino Mk. II are unadulterated and uncolored. This lends many songs a great sense of realism. I was surprised by how well the Mk. II enunciated vocals and maintained instrumental separation in the mids, even during complex bass lines.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Lower mids have a slightly warm tinge to them, which adds a lot of heft to rock songs like Flagpole Sitta and Jacked Up.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Vocals have a certain sweetness to them, but aren’t tinged by coloration at all. Weighting is darn near perfect for my tastes with both male and female singers.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Bass: Songs used: MothGold DustIn For The Kill (Skream Remix)Leave Me[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]If you look through my previous reviews, you won’t find me ever say that an IEM or headphone has had bass that felt “physical” to me. That’s an accolade that I hold quite high in regard, and award to only those IEMs that I find create an incredible bass response; not simply a little bit or rumble or “slam”.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The bass on the Mk. II feels physical. Time after time these earphones manage to move an immense amount of air during bass drops. This bass is truly deserving of a bass-head’s audience. However, despite its massive bass quantity, the Mk. II never sacrifices bass quality. It was always presented with a good tightness and great dynamicism. Bass extension is really, really good, with the Mk. II pushing down into the deep recesses of sub-bass effortlessly. Gold Dust, In For The Kill, and Leave Me all performed sublimely.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Mk. II also has something for non-bassheads. The double dynamic setup Rose went with enables the Cappuccino to be quite subtle when it needs to, presumably by not using both drivers at the same time. In Moth, I could hear the bass guitar quite clearly, in a way that I’d not previously experienced. Having a clear and defined bass line is something I won’t be taking for granted in the future.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]However, Rose made sure that their new IEM isn’t a one-trick-pony. On the side of the Cappuccino Mk. II you can find a small switch that. When in default mode, the switch keeps the bass at standard levels with normal (healthy) decay. When you flip the switch, the bass lessens its strength a bit and speeds up both attack and decay, moving the bass closer towards a balanced armature’s style. I enjoy both modes very much, and find both usable on all of my genres of music.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Packaging / Unboxing[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Mk. II comes in fairly standard Rose packaging. The IEMs are tucked inside little foam cutouts. The eartips are lined up in a neatly alongside the IEMs. The cable is stored inside the hard carrying case.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)] [/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Build[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Construction Quality[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]I have always had good things to say about Rose’s construction quality, and that trend continues today. I found no flaws with the machining of the housings, which appear to be made out of an acrylic. Underneath the face plate of my unit lays a Starry Night-esque patterning upon which rests an updated Rose logo. On the side of the housings you can find the bass-control switch that adjusts the decay levels of the bass. It also slightly modulates the quantity of the bass, which is likely the mechanism being used to alter its presentation overall. The switch seems sturdy enough, though I won’t be moving it around all too often.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The cable connects to the Mk. II via a 45-degree MMCX connector. The cable included in the box takes a bit to get used to visually, but looks better once I gave it a little time to grow on me. The lower half is covered in a sturdy cloth braid which gives it RHA-levels of meatiness. Above the Y-splitter the cable slims down considerably to two two-strand copper cables which are quite thin. Since they are coated in a nice clear plastic, I don’t worry much about their longevity. Closer to the top to the MMCX connector, the cable gets covered in a black memory-wire compound. This compound works nicely and hasn’t exhibited any strange wrinkling that other memory-wire cables can get. Despite the cable’s unorthodox construction materials, it has minimal microphonics. However, if you experience any distracting noise being conducted through the cable, you can just use the included chin-slider.[/color][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The included cable terminates in a hefty aluminum-housed 3.5mm jack. The weight of the jack gives the cable a premium feel. The size of housing is appropriately large given the unusually high diameter of the cloth covering the lower-half of the cable. All in all, Rose paid a lot of attention to detail here, and gets almost full marks from me. Perhaps if the cable looked a bit better, and the upper-half of the cable was a bit thicker, I could upgrade my scoring.[/color][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Comfort[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Cappuccino Mk. II is quite large, given its two dynamic drivers, but doesn’t feel gigantic in my ears like the the KZ ZST or Trinity Phantom Master 4. Rose really nailed it again with their ergonomics. After achieving a decent seal with the included memory foam eartips, the Mk. II essentially disappears. Since the Mk. II has above-average sized nozzles, people with narrow ear-canals may experience some trouble achieving a fit.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Accessories[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Inside the box you will find:[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]
  1. 1x soft carrying pouch
  2. 1x hard carrying case
  3. 4x pairs silicone eartips
  4. 1x pair double flange eartips
  5. 1x pair of memory foam eartips
[/color] [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Rose packaged the Mk. II with a good amount of accessories. It comes with the standard Rose carrying pouch and case, though I wish Rose had made them slightly larger to accommodate this IEM’s thick cable.[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]Summary[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)]The Cappuccino Mk. II delivers truly skull-shakingly powerful bass without compromising of overall sound quality. Combined with the Cappuccino's improved style and fit, the improved sound makes the Mk. II a good value for the price, and a godsend for bass-head’s around the world.[/color]

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #714 of 1,255
Great review, Cinder, and we very much align on impressions as usual.
Except that I don't like the "speed-up" switch, it becomes very dry with drums/cymbals. MK1 are doing the speedy rabbit in a much more convincing way for people who are mostly after high-speed.

Pairing of Cappuccinos MK2 with AKM4490-based DAPs is extremely good.
It's a bit more brutal with Sabre-based DAPs (especially in the treble area).

Balanced mode was amazing to improve soundstage on Cayin N5 and Plenue S, and much less convincing with Onkyo DP-X1.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #715 of 1,255
  Great review, Cinder, and we very much align on impressions as usual.
Except that I don't like the "speed-up" switch, it becomes very dry with drums/cymbals. MK1 are doing the speedy rabbit in a much more convincing way for people who are mostly after high-speed.

Pairing of Cappuccinos MK2 with AKM4490-based DAPs is extremely good.
It's a bit more brutal with Sabre-based DAPs (especially in the treble area).

Balanced mode was amazing to improve soundstage on Cayin N5 and Plenue S, and much less convincing with Onkyo DP-X1.

Thanks! I found the that fast mode was finicky on many DAPs, but worked well with my SuperMini. I don't have any balance-compatible setups at the moment though, so I have yet to experience the sound-stage improvements. 

I agree with you on the Sabre claim. My HiFiMe 9018 is a little harsh with the Mk. II.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #716 of 1,255
I've completed my review with images. Find the full thing here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rose-cappuccino-mk-ii/reviews/17931

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #717 of 1,255
What do you mean by brutal? Sibilant?

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #719 of 1,255

No, but drums and cymbals sound a bit drier / less smooth, which is a small issue for me when listening to rock / progressive rock.

I find that warmer sources tend to mitigate this issue. I have heard noticeable and blind-testable decreases in harshness on my SuperMini v.s my MegaMini & Sabre 9018.
What do you mean by brutal? Sibilant?

Not sibilant, just more "jagged". As teinbasse said, "less smooth".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back