Rookie needs some advices. Looking for Closed Headphones.
Aug 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sonikete

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I´m looking for a closed headphones for using in my Fiio x3. Recently I´ve got vsonic gr07 and I love it but with some specific music like classic music, pop, flamenco guitar, etc. However My enjoyment isn´t as big listening other "harder" music, specially rock and metal, such as Artic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Oasis, R.E.M, Nirvana, etc.

I´m not an expert audiophile by far. In fact it has been my 1st decent earphones.I think the problem with vsonic gr07 and rock is that this earphones are so neutral for that kind of music

My requirements are closed headphones, budget 200 euros, compatible with most kind of music but rock above all.

I´ve heard Soundmagic hp100 are one of the best around that price. Could it be a suitable choice? Please I need some advices

Thanks in advance

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 13
The HP100 may be reduced in price now, since the new HP150 came out - or just get the 150. You can't go wrong.

I would mention 1 or 2 more models but..no. Just get the SoundMAGICs!

If I could only have one headphone, it would be the Fostex TH900 :wink: but if I could only have one headphone for 200 Euros, I'd have the HP100/150.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 13
Have you considered Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro? They sell at around 130 - 150 euro's and are simply amazing...

the DT 770 is closed, DT 880 is semi closed and the DT 990 is open...

aslo be aware of the headphones impedances, they all come in 2 different impedances : 80 ohms or 250 ohms...

considering the fiio, the 250 ohm would be a good choice....

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 13
  Have you considered Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro? They sell at around 130 - 150 euro's and are simply amazing...

the DT 770 is closed, DT 880 is semi closed and the DT 990 is open...

aslo be aware of the headphones impedances, they all come in 2 different impedances : 80 ohms or 250 ohms...

considering the fiio, the 250 ohm would be a good choice....

Would u get Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro before than SoundMagichp100/150? As I said it has to suit with all genres music but Rock and Rap above all

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 13
I don't know the soundmagic, but what i can tell you is that the beyer's are professional studio headphones, with extremely detailed signature... they are what you need in my opinion... i have never heared such a detailed headphone that above all is capable of reproducing such deep bass without altering the mids or highs, which then again would suit your needs for rap with a tight beat

(btw the frequency response of the DT 770 is : 5 Hz - 35000Hz, 5Hz? that's crazy!!!!)

With these headphones you can listen to everything, I can assure you that...

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 13
  I don't know the soundmagic, but what i can tell you is that the beyer's are professional studio headphones, with extremely detailed signature... they are what you need in my opinion... i have never heared such a detailed headphone that above all is capable of reproducing such deep bass without altering the mids or highs, which then again would suit your needs for rap with a tight beat

(btw the frequency response of the DT 770 is : 5 Hz - 35000Hz, 5Hz? that's crazy!!!!)

With these headphones you can listen to everything, I can assure you that...

Sounds good then. I´m gonna use this mainly on Fiio x3 but sometimes I´ll use this on TV and pc. Should I go for 250 ohms rather than 80?

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 13
well first of all, yes, considering the 240 mW @ 32 ohm the fiio outputs, you should buy the 250 ohm (costs the same as the 80 ohm)...

second of all : I read that Fiio updated the X3 to have a usb DAC function, so i strongly recommend to use it for your PC, because the beyers deserve a DAC and amp, and not the crap hat a laptops sound card has to offer.

And last but not least, after listening to high res files through your fiio as usb dac, i don't think you will enjoy the dt 770 connected straight into your tv (same problem as with your laptop, but the tv doesn't have a usb output mode and the fiio hasn't got a optical in)

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Would u get Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro before than SoundMagichp100/150? As I said it has to suit with all genres music but Rock and Rap above all

You are comparing apples to oranges here. The HP150s tend more toward the neutral class of headphone with a bit if emphasis on the bass and treble. The DT770 are quite v shaped, which means a good bit of bass emphasis and treble emphasis. I like the HP150s better and would definitely choose them for rock because the DT770 will have recessed mids. Depends on what you want.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 13
There´s a detail that I dislike on vsonic  gr07 and it´s the silibances. It´s like the vocalist voice sounds a bit shrill maybe with so many trebles. I don´t know if this is caused because it´s need to be burned a bit.
I wouldn´t  pick a headphones with this issue. I´ve read that hp100/150 are so neutral as 07 and the sibilances happen aswell. If that´s the case I´d go for other kind of headphones. 
Hopefully I´ve clarified this detail about what I´m looking for. Could you suggest me a headphones without that silibances but keeping in my mind my preferences (closed headphones, to use at home, budget 150-200 euros, rock and rap preferably)

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #12 of 13
It's safe n fashionable to suggest Beats Solo2 now I supposed?:D

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 13
I can't comment on the V-Sonic, but I have trouble with sibilance too. I have tried the HP100/HP150 of course and found them to be just bright enough without going into sibilant territory. (Sibilance is unlikely to be helped by burn-in).

You might be different of course! I PM'd  a link to some German Maestro 8.35D which might be worth checking out too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back