Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2010 R.I.P.
May 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 27
Sorry to hear such a bad news, i'd have liked a follow up for the last Heaven and Hell album.

May 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 27
R.I.P. Ronnie
frown.gif

I grew up with his music. What a sad news. I am just listening to album The Last In Live with T1. Wow. Thats all i can say right now. What a great sound! We will miss you.
frown.gif

May 17, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 27
Sad news. I'm glad I got to see him on tour with Black Sabbath/Heaven And Hell a couple of years ago. For such a small person, he had an incredibly powerful voice. 

"Time is a never ending story
  Love is a never ending smile"

May 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #21 of 27
Dio was my favorite artist. I'd always meant to see him live, but I never got the chance to. A sad day for metal, indeed.

May 20, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
Wow.  That is really sad.  I really liked Dio.  I preferred his solo stuff over the stuff he did in Sabbath, but liked both.  And his Rainbow tune "Man on the Silver Mountain" is a real favorite.  RIP, indeed.

That's the exact track I thought of when i heard of his death. I'm not a huge metal fan (though certain artists are fundamental to me,) so I really didn't keep close track of his career. I knew the rough outlines, of course: Sabbath, Blackmore, devil horns, etc. But I had no idea that the original line-up of Blackmore's Rainbow was mostly from Elf, an earlier Dio band that I had heard of a few times. And I didn't know that he was a brass player (!!) And i didn't know that his recording career began in the 50s (!!!) What a life, and what a career.

Edit: His Wikipedia entry is a little disorganized, but there is a lot of information there, and it covers pretty much his entire professional life. I'm not accustomed to finding hard rockers who can play the French Horn (apologies to Entwhistle) and it was very interesting to learn of his early musical talent and his decision to decline a scholarship from Julliard in favor of his rock n roll muse (That thumping sound is his parents' heads hitting the floor.)
Now that's rock n roll, people.

May 21, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #25 of 27
I have all Elf albums, they are fabulous, even while it is not Heavy Metal, I consider them more like the classic rock from the 70's, they are very well done and Dio sings like an angel there...RIP Holy Diver!!!!

May 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #26 of 27
Which Elf album should I aim to get first?! Please advise!

Quote:
I have all Elf albums, they are fabulous, even while it is not Heavy Metal, I consider them more like the classic rock from the 70's, they are very well done and Dio sings like an angel there...RIP Holy Diver!!!!

May 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #27 of 27
I'm not mistaken they are only three albums, two in one CD and the first one ELF...the rest are singles and compilations...why not getting both, that will not break a bank and your ears will thank you for life!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back