Ronnie James Dio 1942 - 2010 R.I.P.
May 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

spookygonk

1000+ Head-Fier

Message from Wendy Dio

Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us. Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever.
- Wendy Dio

Dio Website 

Sad, sad day. I'm gutted. A true legend.
frown.gif

May 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 27
I grew up on Dio, so I'm pretty bummed about this.

RIP man.

May 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 27
Wow.  That is really sad.  I really liked Dio.  I preferred his solo stuff over the stuff he did in Sabbath, but liked both.  And his Rainbow tune "Man on the Silver Mountain" is a real favorite.  RIP, indeed.

May 16, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 27
Between the velvet lies
There's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies
Life's a never ending wheel

RIP to a heavy metal legend
devil_face.gif

May 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 27
Woke up just now and the first thing I came across after turning on my PC was the death of Ronnie James Dio. Sad day for metal music.

Dio was one of my favorite metal vocalists. May he RIP.

May 16, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 27
I really hoped that cancer was a minor annoyance for an immortal like Ronnie.

I'll be cranking Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio/Heaven & Hell for the rest of the week to honor his untouchable legacy.

Throw the goat at least once today to honor this icon. Adios Ronnie, see you in Valhalla. \m/

May 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 27
Geez.  Tough news.  Liek a few others, I grew up on Dio, watching him go from Rainbow, to Sabbath, to solo, then who knows where.  I am a huge blues fan these days, and my mind goes back to the live Rainbow On Stage (double album!!!) from 1977.  The medley of "Man on the Silver Mountain/Blues/Starstruck" has always stuck with me.  Dio cranking it out, Blackmore dishing up some huge blues, and a live recording as well.  Epic.  I'm certain that was the first time the Blues made sense to me. 

Then 1980's Heaven and Hell form Black Sabbath hit, and we were all stunned.  Neon Knights, Wishing Well, Heaven and Hell.  Dio at the forefront again. 

So many tunes that are still stuck in my head. 
Long Live Rock and Roll
Tarot Woman
Since You've Been Gone
Rainbow Rising

RIP Ronnie.  Thanks for the great rockin.

May 17, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 27
This is terrible news! I also grew up with his music, in fact, I think Holy Diver is a seminal piece in the lexicon of Rock. He will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to all his close friends and family. At least he lived his life to the full though, which is more than can be said for many.

R.I.P. Ronnie

May 17, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 27
Hail Dio. May he find solace in the afterlife.

Though I only have listened to the album Holy Diver, it is still an album with a load of unforgettable songs that I'll never forget. And it was all thanks to Ronnie James Dio and his band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back