Rollover Ads
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #16 of 28
Thanks very much Jude.

I have no issue with advertising, it keeps the site free to use which important its just the animated ones are so distracting.

The gambling one seems to have stopped for me to be replaced by robotax! At least that one is not animated!

One thing though is that the company dealing with them that says they carefully target don't !
It will be interesting over the coming weeks in my region to see if I start getting political shtick as we have an election coming up!

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
Thanks very much Jude.

I have no issue with advertising, it keeps the site free to use which important its just the animated ones are so distracting.

The gambling one seems to have stopped for me to be replaced by robotax! At least that one is not animated!

One thing though is that the company dealing with them that says they carefully target don't !
It will be interesting over the coming weeks in my region to see if I start getting political shtick as we have an election coming up!

ianmedium, thanks for the message.

Please send me any offending ones in a screenshot, if you can, and as you run into them.

As for political ads, I definitely do not want to see any on Head-Fi, so if you do see those, please be sure to PM me screenshots.

I know there's a lot of effort going on to improve targeting. Something new was recently implemented, which is why some have seen changes, but, again, I know the team is working hard to get the targeting more on-point.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 28
Thanks so much Jude, will do, fortunately at the moment it is non animated pain killer advertisements as i say but I have noticed already on other forums I belong to political party ad's are being shown, if I see them here I will be sure to let you know!

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #20 of 28
It seems extremely obvious to me that if you don't want irrelevant or inappropriate ads, Jude, then you should surely be accepting ads only from hi-fi firms, not from 3rd-party general ad agencies or whatever. 3rd-party ad agencies are simply not at all motivated to limit or censor what ads they serve. They have a catalogue of clients on their books, all of whom they wish to make a commission from.

You can keep asking for screenshots of inappropriate ads from head-fi members, ad-infinitum, or you can simply remove this new stream of ads altogether and ensure, in one fell swoop, that ads on head-fi are from hi-fi companies only. You'll have a huge workload trying to keep on top of the endless stream of inappropriate ads which the ad agency inevitably serves to the site, regardless of your requests for discretion.

But I suspect you might, perhaps, prefer the revenue from accidental clicks by increasingly-vexed head-fi members. I hope I'm wrong about this, and I shall wait and watch, with interest, what action you take, but in the longrun, if it continues, the good thing you have going with this very busy & successful website of yours is going to come tumbling down because, as has already been implied by others, the membership is going to simply ad-block every ad on the site, by using ad-blocking browser plug-ins.

If that happens, your existing hi-fi sponsors will probably end up pulling out and then one may only speculate on how the site will support itself.

I hope that doesn't come to pass, and I therefore hope you succeed in finding a pragmatic solution soon. Perhaps some of the members with experience in such matters will chip in, here, too.

May 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 28
The "hover over to watch a movie" banners are EXTREMELY annoying. I have absolutely no interest in attending a Disney resort after accidentally launching an irritating window that absorbed my whole screen. UGLY

May 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 28
One week has gone by and I'm still getting annoyed multiple times a day by ads that have no relevance to head-fi when I move my mouse up to my bookmarks.

It kind of bothers me that the administration team has no direct access or knowledge to fixing the ad issue themselves, at least that's the feeling I get when I hear talk of contacting the 'team that manages ad delivery.'  

May 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 28
I'm guessing that it's not an easy fix since the system to put the adds up is probably very automated. 

I've sent at least one screen shot to Jude as an example.  Hopefully they can start to clean them up a little.

I've just started to accept that this sort of thing is part of visiting a big commercial web site like Head-Fi.

May 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #24 of 28
I can't accept it.  I've been to more active forums than head-fi and they're not plagued by the same crap.  This isn't even the first ad-related issue head-fi has had.  I'm sure people remember the ads that would play REGARDLESS of rather we hovered over them or not.  

Again I don't mind the notion of rollover ads in general, but to have them on a site whose users are most likely going to be using headphones and listening to music.  Not a good look.

May 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #26 of 28
Must admit though the ads are less offensive it seems like there is even less time needed for the cursor to be over them for them to activate. There has to be something better than this!

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #28 of 28

It's a new record! That is three rollover ads on one page!

I don't mind ads. But I do mind these rollover ads that play music or videos, and hijack my browser page. And it gets a little frustrating when they basically turn a website I generally enjoy into an advertising minefield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back