Rollover Ads
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Olias of Sunhillow

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, and sorry if this has already been addressed. I've recently experienced a number of popup-style rollover ads -- a user inadvertently mouses over a portion of an ad, and a video is launched. One was for a cosmetics firm, and the other for ABCNews. While I understand that the site needs ad revenue to continue, this kind of rollover ad is extremely intrusive and disruptive to the flow of information on the site. To the managers of the site, I would suggest working with your digital agency to specify that only ads which do not contain rollover or popup content be allowed on Head-Fi.

Thanks for your time.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 28
Just noticed that today myself. 
The ads seem to have become more aggressive/intrusive.
Whenever ads on a site cause me to take additional action to get rid of them, my usage of that site drops dramatically ...

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 28
The only thing that would be better than these totally annoying rollover adds would be MORE ADDS!  

I'm assuming no mod or admin response means we can continue to enjoy video and audio pop up adds if our mouse cursor slips a few pixels in the wrong direction... The little count down timer before the big video starts is just as bad as the video starting right away since it has video and sound incorporated.

Would it be that hard for you guys to administer a fee system so that we could just be paying members without adds and you'd still get paid?(I'd happily suppoer)  Or would that totally screw up marketing the web site?

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 28
Yeah, I have been experiencing these, read about them from the little plus sign and from what they claim if you opt in and then put a thumbs down they will remove them but they don't.

I don't know why but the ones in my region are for the local gambling corporation of British Columbia.. I HATE gambling, never done it, find it seedy and a way to rob stupid people of money so why the heck am I getting them, no matter how many thumbs down they they are and i must say this mini movie thing totally ruins my experience of being on the forum! It would not be so bad if the things were for hifi!

I have done all the things I can on my end to remove their memory of my actions but to no avail. I know the site is free and they have to do this to remain free and I am fine with that but honestly, gambling!

And one last thing, there are many kids participating on this forum, I just looked at the info they have on me, they have nothing other than location so that shows to be kids could be getting these gambling messages.. Not a good thing!

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 28
I've been extremely annoyed with these too.  Not only do the ads play sound and take up a large portion of the browser window when rolled over, but they're almost always placed right below the bookmarks bar of a browser, which I personally use quite a lot.  The time it takes for my mouse to travel from some random topic in the forum up to the bookmarks bar usually activates these ads, playing sound.  I also find it extremely annoying that with a forum dedicated to headphones, and lots of its members probably using headphones while browsing, you'd think the administration would know  just how this affects headphone users.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 28
I have actually started to check the site on my iPad more as it does not support the rollover adds, it's amazing how much more I can focus on what I am reading rather than those ruddy roll overs!

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 28
I've been traveling.

All feedback is monitored, and there is special attention being paid to some of the recent ads that have been showing (and that we've received some complaints about). This feedback has been forwarded to the team that manages the ad delivery.

Because different people often see different ads, any screenshots you can PM me would be appreciated.

When I return to the office, I'll have more of a chance to follow up on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back