Rolling Stones Hi-Rez?
Mar 14, 2011 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
Being a big Rolling Stones fan I was going to buy the Hi-Rez Stones albums being promoted here, but have some hesitations.  My biggest problem is that these are being sold through ABKCO, the company that basically ripped off the Stones for all their back catalog.  I'm not shedding any tears for Mick and Keith, but I just don't know if I want to line the pockets of a company that so underhandedly took control of the Stones catalog.

My second question is on the quality of these files.  I don't currently have a way to play back hi-res files, but do plan on upgrading my computer source at some time.  Are these albums worth having even if Hi-Rez playback isn't immediately available?  I do have the original 1989 3 CD set of the Singles, The London Years, which supposedly is from the original recordings.  Many of these songs will be on the Hi-Rez albums.  I never thought the sound quality of these recordings was great but I think that was a limitation of the original source material, but I could be wrong.

So who is going to buy the HD Stones tracks (last day for discount is today)?  Why or why not?

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I sampled the SACD releases and decided to stick with the CDs because the remixing involved totally altered the character of the music. I want the Stones to sound like the Stones.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 7
I saw that ad on the front page too! I was waiting for someone else to buy it and write a review. I guess this isn't that helpful.

It looks like the 15% Head-Fi discount has been extended to March 17th, so I'm just going to sit on it for another day. They only have three albums. No.1, No.2, and a Greatest Hits. I was hoping for more choices and would probably be more inclined to buy one if they had Aftermath.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 7
I bought one of the albums (Big Hits: High Tide and Green Grass) and I thought it sounded good, but as I can only output 48Khz to my DAC at the moment I couldn't take advantage of the high-rez mix just yet.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Some of them were remixed. It was there in the fine print. Listen to the LP version of Street Fighting Man and compare it to the SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back